Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print folder size ordered by pattern value of specific file type :-) ! challenge ! Post 302404527 by holister on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 06:07:02 PM
Old 03-16-2010
Tools

Up :-o

no ideas ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the size of tar,Z,gz type file.

Hi, How to get the size of the .tar file .Z file .gz file. Please help me what command i need to use in shell scripting :( Regards, Kalai (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print rows, having pattern in specific column...

Hello all, :) I have a pattern file some what like this, cd003 cd005 cd007 cd008 and input file like this, abc cd001 cd002 zca bca cd002 cd003 cza cba cd003 cd004 zca bac cd004 cd005 zac cba cd005 cd006 acz acb cd006 cd007 caz cab cd007 ... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
25 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print out specific pattern column data

Input file: adc_0123 haa_1000 bcc_520 adc_0150 bcc_290 adc_0112 haa_8000 adc_0139 haa_7000 Output file: adc_0123 adc_0123 haa_1000 bcc_520 adc_0150 adc_0150 bcc_290 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy specific file.txt in specific folder?

hye there... i have a problem to copy file in specific folder that will change the name according to host,time(%m%s) and date(%Y%M%D) example folder name: host_20100531.154101801 this folder name will always change... but i just want to copy the AAA.txt and BBB.txt file.. really need... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: annetote
17 Replies

6. Programming

Print specific pattern line in c++

Input file: @HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC +HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 TNTTJTTTETceJSP__VRJea`_NfcefbWe Desired output file: >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Detect Specific Pattern and Print the Specific String after It?

I'm still beginner and maybe someone can help me. I have this input: the great warrior a, b, c and what i want to know is, with awk, how can i detect the string with 'warrior' string on it and print the a, b, and c seperately, become like this : Warrior Type a b c Im still very... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radynaraya
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

look for file size greater than "0" of specific pattern and move those to another directory

Hi , i have some files of specific pattern ...i need to look for files which are having size greater than zero and move those files to another directory.. Ex... abc_0702, abc_0709, abc_782 abc_1234 ...etc need to find out which is having the size >0 and move those to target directory..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print record not equal specific pattern

how to use "awk" to print any record has pattern not equal ? for example my file has 5 records & I need to get all lines which $1=10 or 20 , $2=10 or 20 and $3 greater than "130302" as it shown : 10 20 1303252348212B030 20 10 1303242348212B030 40 34 1303252348212B030 10 20 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all lines between two keyword if a specific pattern exist

I have input file as below I need to check for a pattern and if it is there in file then I need to print all the lines below BEGIN and END keyword. Could you please help me how to get this in AIX using sed or awk. Input file: ABC ******** BEGIN ***** My name is Amit. I am learning unix.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Joshi
8 Replies
PHILOSOPHY(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     PHILOSOPHY(1)

NAME
PDL::Philosophy -- what's behind PDL? DESCRIPTION
This is an attempt to summarize some of the common spirit between pdl developers in order to answer the question "Why PDL"? If you are a PDL developer and I haven't caught your favorite ideas about PDL, please let me know! An often-asked question is: Why not settle for some of the existing systems like Matlab or IDL or GnuPlot or whatever? Major ideas The first tenet of our philosophy is the "free software" idea: software being free has several advantages (less bugs because more people see the code, you can have the source and port it to your own working environment with you, ... and of course, that you don't need to pay anything). The second idea is a pet peeve of many: many languages like matlab are pretty well suited for their specific tasks but for a different application, you need to change to an entirely different tool and regear yourself mentally. Not to speak about doing an application that does two things at once... Because we use Perl, we have the power and ease of perl syntax, regular expressions, hash tables etc at our fingertips at all times. By extending an existing language, we start from a much healthier base than languages like matlab which have grown into existence from a very small functionality at first and expanded little by little, making things look badly planned. We stand by the Perl sayings: "simple things should be simple but complicated things should be possible" and "There is more than one way to do it" (TIMTOWTDI). The third idea is interoperability: we want to be able to use PDL to drive as many tools as possible, we can connect to OpenGL or Mesa for graphics or whatever. There isn't anything out there that's really satisfactory as a tool and can do everything we want easily. And be portable. The fourth idea is related to PDL::PP and is Tuomas's personal favorite: code should only specify as little as possible redundant info. If you find yourself writing very similar-looking code much of the time, all that code could probably be generated by a simple perl script. The PDL C preprocessor takes this to an extreme. Minor goals and purposes We want speed. Optimally, it should ultimately (e.g. with the Perl compiler) be possible to compile PDL::PP subs to C and obtain the top vectorized speeds on supercomputers. Also, we want to be able to calculate things at near top speed from inside perl, by using dataflow to avoid memory allocation and deallocation (the overhead should ultimately be only a little over one indirect function call plus couple of ifs per function in the pipe). We want handy syntax. Want to do something and cannot do it easily? Tell us about it... We want lots of goodies. A good mathematical library etc. AUTHOR
Copyright(C) 1997 Tuomas J. Lukka (lukka@fas.harvard.edu). Redistribution in the same form is allowed but reprinting requires a permission from the author. perl v5.12.1 2009-10-17 PHILOSOPHY(1)