Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Signal Handler Hangs
Top Forums Programming Signal Handler Hangs Post 302404303 by sree_ec on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 06:57:17 AM
Old 03-16-2010
hi,
thanks.. but how does it keep on getting signal 11?
the strcpy() function will get one signal 11, that i can understand..
Do you mean internally(deep inside strcpy()) it is getting signal 11???

also could you please tell me how to avoid this subsequent signals. Because in sig handlers, i cannot do a lot of work or can call malloc() or any other unsafe function. So how do i avoid the subsequent signal 11's?

I tried commenting the printf() after strcpy() but it is still getting infinite number of signal 11....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script signal handler

AIX 4.3.3 I am trying to write a signal handler into a ksh shell script. I would like to capture the SIGTERM, SIGINT, and the SIGTSTP signals, print out a message to the terminal, and continue executing the script. I have found a way to block the signals: #! /bin/ksh SIGTERM=15 SIGINT=2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
2 Replies

2. Programming

signal handler for SIGCHLD

Hi, I have an c++ application which uses the function fork and execvp(). The parent does not wait until the child ends. The parents just creates children and let them do their stuff. You can see the parent program as a batch-manager. I have added a SIGCHLD handler to the program: void... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jens
3 Replies

3. Programming

signal handler problems

Hey guys, I am trying to write a little shell, and was writing a signal handler to handle SIGINT (I am using 'stty intr ^C' and using ctrl-C to give SIGINT). I wrote this signal handler: void handle_sigint() { write(2,"handling sigint\n",16); write(1,"\nshell% ",8); } ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blowtorch
4 Replies

4. Programming

Runaway SIGALRM signal handler

I have written a program to demonstrate a problem I have encountered when using BSD style asynchronous input using the O_ASYNC flag in conjunction with a real time interval timer sending regular SIGALRM signals to the program. The SIGIO handler obeys all safe practices, using only an atomic update... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stewartw
8 Replies

5. Programming

Usage of exit() inside a signal handler

Is it ok to use exit() inside a signal handler? I catch SIGUSR1 in a signal handler and I try to close a file and then exit. The result is inconsistent. Sometimes the process exit and sometimes it returns to the original state before the signal handler was invoked. Perhaps exit is not legal in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuvia
8 Replies

6. Programming

Problem with signal handler and interrupted system call

Hi, I have a daq program that runs in an infinite loop until it receives SIGINT. A handler catches the signal and sets a flag to stop the while loop. After the loop some things have to be cleaned up. The problem is that I want my main while loop to wait until the next full second begins, to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soeckel
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Problems with Signal Handler

I have a problem with signal handlers not working. I have a long 1000 line code and somehow this code for signal handling is not working: $SIG{INT} = \&interrupt; sub interrupt { print STDERR "Caught a control c!\n"; exit; # or just about anything else you'd want to do } Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Signal Handler

I was working on some Perl code that does signal handling and I came across this one liner and wasn't sure what it was doing. local $SIG{__DIE__} = sub {$! = 2; die $_;}; I think the first part of the anonymous subroutine is setting $! to 2, but I am not sure what the second part is doing. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SFNYC
1 Replies

9. Programming

problem in doing coding of signal handler

i m unble to execute code of signal handler using a) Wait b) Waitpid (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhura
1 Replies

10. Programming

Serial port signal(IRQ) handler (using C)

Hello, I'm writing some serial(UART) handler but have stuck on few issues, maybe anyone can help to show me what I'm doing wrong. Basically I'm intending to write serial RX signal handler. Application receives defined packages of data over serial which contains header and payload. Handler... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lauris_k
3 Replies
sigset(3C)																sigset(3C)

NAME
sigset(), sighold(), sigrelse(), sigignore() - signal management SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system defines a set of signals that can be delivered to a process. The set of signals is defined in signal(5), along with the meaning and side effects of each signal. An alternate mechanism for handling these signals is defined here. The facilities described here should not be used in conjunction with the other facilities described under signal(2) and sigspace(2). allows the calling process to choose one of four ways to handle the receipt of a specific signal. sig specifies the signal and func speci- fies the action handler. sig can be any one of the signals described under signal(5) except or func is assigned one of four values: or a function address. The actions prescribed by and are described under signal(5). The action pre- scribed by and function address are described below: Hold signal. The signal sig is held upon receipt. Any pending signal of this signal type remains held. Only one signal of each type is held. Note: the signals and cannot be held. function address Catch signal. func must be a pointer to a function, the signal-catching handler, that is called when signal sig occurs. specifies that the process calls this function upon receipt of signal sig. Any pending signal of this type is released. This handler address is retained across calls to the other signal management functions listed here. Upon receipt of signal sig, the receiving process executes the signal-catching function pointed to by func as described under signal(5) with the follow- ing differences: Before calling the signal-catching handler, the defined action of sig is set to During a normal return from the signal- catching handler, the defined action is restored to func and any held signal of this type is released. If a non-local goto (longjmp(3C)) is taken, must be called to restore the defined action to func and release any held signal of this type. holds the signal sig. restores the defined action of sig to that specified previously by and are used to establish critical regions of code. is analogous to raising the priority level and deferring or holding a signal until the priority is lowered by sets the action for signal sig to (see signal(5)). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns the previous value of the defined action for the specified signal sig. Otherwise, a value of is returned and is set to indicate the error. is defined in For the other functions, a 0 value indicates that the call succeeded. A -1 return value indicates an error occurred and is set to indicate the reason. ERRORS
fails and the defined action for sig is not changed if any of the following occur: The func argument points to memory that is not a valid part of the process address space. Reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. and and fail and the defined action for sig is not changed if any of the following occur: sig is not a valid signal number. An attempt is made to ignore, hold, or supply a handler for a signal that cannot be ignored, held, or caught; see signal(5). WARNINGS
These signal facilities should not be used in conjunction with signal(2) and sigspace(2). SEE ALSO
kill(1), kill(2), pause(2), signal(2), sigspace(2), wait(2), abort(3C), setjmp(3C), sigpause(3C), signal(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
sigset(3C)