Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SPLIT STRING in bash shell script Post 302404277 by thillai_selvan on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 06:11:01 AM
Old 03-16-2010
Other way
Code:
echo "aaaaa,bbbbb,ccccc,aaaaa" | tr ',' '\n' | sort | uniq -c | sed '1!d'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

split files by specifying a string (bash shell)

Hi all, I have a file of around 300 lines in which string "SERVER" occurs around 32 times. for eg. I need to split files like, for eg I am using this code awk '/SERVER/{n++}{print > f n}' f=/vikas/list /vikas/final But the problem is that it makes maximum of 10 files, but I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to parse/split input string and display the tokens

Hi, How do I parse/split lines (strings) read from a file and display the individual tokens in a shell script? Given that the length of individual lines is not constant and number of tokens in each line is also not constant. The input file could be as below: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yajaykumar
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Split shell script

Hi all, Following is the shell script which I am using for splitting the contents from a flat file to the multiple XMLs. The problem is that this script is working file when the input file is having 10000 lines. When the number of lines increases; the performance degrades drastically. Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amtrip
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell script string comparison

I want to remove a line that has empty string at second field when I use cut with delimeter , like below $cat demo hello, mum hello, #!/bin/sh while read line do if then # remove the current line command goes here fi done < "demo" i got an error message for above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash:How to split one string variable in two variables?

Hello, I have a paramter $param consisting just of two literals and want to split it into two parameters, so I can combine it to a new parameter <char1><string><char2>, but the following code didn't work: tmp_PARAM_1=cut -c1 $PARAM tmp_PARAM_2=cut -c2 $PARAM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

On the command line using bash, how do you split a string by column?

Input: MD5(secret.txt)= fe66cbf9d929934b09cc7e8be890522e MD5(secret2.txt)= asd123qwlkjgre5ug8je7hlt488dkr0p I want the results to look like these, respectively: MD5(secret.txt)= fe66cbf9 d929934b 09cc7e8b e890522e MD5(secret2.txt)= asd123qw lkjgre5u g8je7hlt 488dkr0p Basically, keeping... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: teiji
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

string manipulation in bash shell

Hi All, I am using a bash shell and want to the following thing. A process sends the following string to my script BACKUP_FAIL_REASON="Failed - Application Dump CDMACA-0:grep: /opt/nortel/ca/data/1245184/sd00/image1/S110907070708HIS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pkumar Sachin
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script: Str(007) to int(7),increment it(8) & convert back to string(008)

Hi, I have the following requirement. There will be following text/line in a file (eg: search-build.txt) PRODUCT_VERSION="V:01.002.007.Build1234" I need to update the incremental build number (eg here 007) every time I give a build through script. I am able to search the string and get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drwatson_droid
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

split string into array in shell

Hi all, I want to split a string into array based on given delimiter, for example: String: "foo|bar|baz" with delimiter "|" into array: strArr to strArr with values foo, bar and baz. Thanks a lot. Roy987 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oneliner ---split string to character by piping shell output to perl

Hello, I was trying to split a string to characters by perl oneliner. echo "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" | perl -e 'split // ' But did not work as with bash script pipe: echo "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" | fold -w1 | sort | uniq -ic 8 1 T 1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies
SPLIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [ option ... ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Split reads file (standard input by default) and writes it in pieces of 1000 lines per output file. The names of the output files are xaa, xab, and so on to xzz. The options are -n Split into n-line pieces. -e expression File divisions occur at each line that matches a regular expression; see regexp(6). Multiple -e options may appear. If a subex- pression of expression is contained in parentheses (...), the output file name is the portion of the line which matches the subex- pression. -f stem Use stem instead of x in output file names. -s suffix Append suffix to names identified under -e. -x Exclude the matched input line from the output file. -i Ignore case in option -e; force output file names (excluding the suffix) to lower case. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/split.c SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(1) grep(1), regexp(6) SPLIT(1)