Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Making a sort error
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Making a sort error Post 302404059 by snag49ers on Monday 15th of March 2010 02:06:45 PM
Old 03-15-2010
Making a sort error

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

I need to show when stderror would be written to save1 and when it would be written to save2

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

Code:
cat 2>save1 0<memo | sort 2>save2 1>letter

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):

I think I understand what this command is stating. I realize that stderror would be written to save1 when the cat command fells on memo, such as when the file doesn't exist, and I believe that std error would be written to save2 if the sort fails when writing to letter. The problem I'm having is I don't know how to generate an error to be written to save2 so that I can show when this would occur. Any suggestions?

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):

Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, USA, Dr. Qijun Gu, CS4350 Unix Systems Programming Texas State CS - Courses Listing - CS 4350 - Unix Systems Programming

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

---------- Post updated at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:22 AM ----------

I have figured out the answer. Can you please delete this post? Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

error making filesystem when install UNIX

someone help me to figure out about this error i´m installing a 36Gb SCSI Hd and i used the custom option in unixSCO for create the diferents filesystems, when the process is finish the next error message apears: Exit value 139 status value -29952 Fatal error in disk info.c line 3525... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jav_v
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort can't stat error.

I am using the command below to sort unique a file and I keep getting this error that sort can't stat. Error: sort: can't stat /xxxx/xxxxx/2005/xxxxxx/out_20050602155231/test.txt: No such file or directory Does anybody have an idea when this error could occur. Thanks, Radhika. if ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort unexpected error?

I have the following script: mysort.sh: #!/bin/ksh for i in `ls` sort -bfu $i > sort_$i wait mv sort_$i $i wait done exit 0 I get the following error: mysort.sh: syntax error at line 3 : `sort' unexpected Does anybody know what I am missing here. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

intro to UNIX - making a sort-of recycle bin (for fun)

Hello, I'm only taking Intro to UNIX in school right now, so please bear with me. My problem is with a sort-of recycle-bin rig I've created for fun. I'm using Ubuntu 9.04, I am the admin. (only user, actually) of this computer. I'm using this script in ~/.bashrc # if files exist, remove contents... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numeric sort error

Hello all I have data like below where the column with values (PRI, SEC ) is the char field and the rest are Numeric Fields. 200707,9580,58,7,2,1,PRI,1,1,137,205594,0,5,10,-45.51,-45.51 200707,9580,58,7,2,1,SEC,1,1,137,205594,0,5,10,-45.51,45.51... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

6. Programming

Error during making a shared library

Hi all, I am working with opensolaris and I am trying create a shared native library via using make but I am getting the following error-- make -f /Makefile.SunOS debug javah -jni SerialPort javah -jni SerialInputStream javah -jni SerialOutputStream gcc -mno-app-regs -DSUN... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort error code 512

Hi Friends, I am back with small issue which i tried thinking but could not get much!!!! issue here is..i m using kind of extraction query using perl code in that i do sort with few number of csv files. each of them will be around 50 to 100 M size. sometime i get following error message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shahul
1 Replies

8. Programming

This Makes NO sense. I'm making a game and getting an error, need help.

Okay so I'm making a simple text based game that branches into different scenarios. By branching I mean branching off into whole different files with that part of the game in it. I got tired of working on scenario 1 so I'm working on scenario 2. As I get started and try to test it, I get an error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lemonoid
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Error occurred while making the net-snmp 5.4.4 on Solaris 5.10 version.

Hi all, Error occurred while making the net-snmp-5.4.4 on Solaris 5.10 version. Environment - Solaris 5.10-x86 - Net-SNMP-5.4.4.tar.gz - Path (/etc/profile) PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATHUSR=/usr/ccs/bin: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH Error01 - summary ***... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziosnim
3 Replies

10. Programming

Insertion Sort Error in C++

TD P { margin-bottom: 0in; }P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }TT.cjk { font-family: "WenQuanYi Zen Hei Sharp",monospace; }A:link { } I am trying to run this program for Insertion Sort, But don't know that why I am getting following Error #include<iostream> int main(){ int i,j,key,n;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: liveproject101
4 Replies
DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)					      Debconf						  DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)

NAME
debconf-mergetemplate - merge together multiple debconf template files SYNOPSIS
debconf-mergetemplate [options] [templates.ll ...] templates DESCRIPTION
Note: This utility is deprecated. You should switch to using po-debconf's po2debconf program. This program is useful if you have multiple debconf templates files which you want to merge together into one big file. All the specified files will be read in, merged, and output to standard output. This can be especially useful if you are dealing with translated template files. In this case, you might have your main template file, plus several other files provided by the translators. These files will have translated fields in them, and maybe the translators left in the english versions of the fields they translated, for their reference. So, you want to merge together all the translated templates files with your main templates file. Any fields that are unique to the translated files need to be added in to the correct templates, but any fields they have in common should be superseded by the fields in the main file (which might be more up-to-date). This program handles that case properly, just list each of the translated templates files, and then your main templates file last. OPTIONS
--outdated Merge in even outdated translations. The default is to drop them with a warning message. --drop-old-templates If a translation has an entire template that is not in the master file (and thus is probably an old template), drop that entire template. SEE ALSO
debconf-getlang(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)