Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get line of textfile and store it in variable Post 302403927 by murugaperumal on Monday 15th of March 2010 06:31:03 AM
Old 03-15-2010
Code:
my $str="BlaBlaBla Bla2Bla2Bla2 *pPointerOne;";
  if($str=~/[a-z0-9]+\s+\*([a-z A-Z]+)\;/)
  {
      print $1;
  }

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read and store each line of a file to a variable

Hi all, I'm quite new to unix and hope that someone can help me on this. I'm using csh. Below is what i intend to do. 1. I stored some data in a file. 2. I intend to read the file line by line and store each line of data into a variable, so that i can used it later. Anyone have any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seijihiko
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

store the first line of a file in a variable

i have to store the files in a folder and assign a variable to the the files. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshr85
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: How to store each output line into a different variable?

Example output: /tmp/generatelines.sh line1 line2 line3 line4 I want each output line assigned to its own variable, ie: "line1" --> $a "line2" --> $b "line3" --> $c "line4" --> $d Is this possible without writing to a temporary file? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksheller
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing a number at the end of line and store it as variable

Hello, Would someone guide me on how to write a shell script the would search for a phone no using at the end text file using sed or awk and store it in a varaible or print it. The text file is in this form text or numbers in first line text or numbers in second line . . . Firsname... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amuthiga
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a string in a textfile line per line

i need to cut the string in a textfile but each line has a specific way of cutting it (different lengths) i have a for loop that gets the string line per line, then each line has to be compared: for x in `cat tmp2.txt`; do if; then echo 'BAC' elif ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: izuma
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract more than 1 line in a textfile ?

Hi, I'm starting a little project with a shell script but I'm don't know how to do it. Maybe someone can help me. I have un text file like this : I'd like to do a script who will extract from my file from @ADDLINE1@ to @ADDLINE4@ only and I have no idea how to do this. Any idea ? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poulki
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a file line by line and store it in a variable to execute a program ?

Hello, I am quite new in shell scripting and I would like to write a little scritp to run a program on some parameters files. all my parameters files are in the same directory, so pick them up with ls *.para >>dirafter that I have a dir file like that: param1.para param2.para etc... I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadok
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to separate sorte different characters from one textfile and copy them in a new textfile?

My first post, so don't kill me :) Say i open some textfile with some example like this. on the table are handy, bread and wine Now i know exactly what is in and i want to separate and sorted it in terminal to an existing file with another 2 existing lines in like this: table plane ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: schwatter
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to match and store line as variable

The bash below loops through a specific directory dir and finds and writes the oldest folder to a variable called $filename. #!/bin/bash # oldest folder stored as variable for analysis, version log created, and quality indicators matched to run dir=/home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/test find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with taking variable of for loop in textfile

Hi, I am new to unix/linux scripting. I have a text file, listlib.txt where the content: lib1_23 lib34_a ab_li_lab I need to generate a file (.log) of each cell. I am planning to create a (.csh) script that will have for loop with variable taken from listlib.txt. As for now, i have no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmaz
4 Replies
mkmsgs(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mkmsgs(1)

NAME
mkmsgs - create message files for use by gettxt() SYNOPSIS
locale] textfile msgfile DESCRIPTION
The command takes as input a file of localized text strings and generates a message file that can be accessed by the gettxt(3C) routine. textfile is the name of the file that contains the text strings. msgfile is the name of the output message file. appends the suffix to the message file name. The combined length of the file name should be less than 14 bytes for short file name file system. The msgfile file should not contain a colon since it will confuse the formatting routines. The textfile file contains the localized text strings. The text strings are separated by a newline character. The text strings are pro- cessed sequentially and copied to the msgfile message file. An empty line in the input results in a corresponding empty message written to the msgfile message file. Options The command supports the following options: Overwrite the msgfile message file if it exists. The msgfile message file is installed in the system-wide localization directory corresponding to the specified locale. Only a user with the appropriate privileges can create or overwrite the message file in that directory. The direc- tory will be created if it does not exist. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of messages as single- and/or multibyte characters. Messages are issued in if it is set to a valid language and messages are available. Otherwise "C" locale messages are issued. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the format of the input text strings: WARNINGS
is provided for SVID3 compatibility only. The user is encouraged to use the NLS mechanism developed by HP and the X/Open Company, Ltd. SEE ALSO
gencat(1), gettxt(3C), setlocale(3C). STANDARDS COMPLIANCE
mkmsgs(1)