Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting row to column and position data in to fixed column width Post 302403891 by thillai_selvan on Monday 15th of March 2010 04:30:04 AM
Old 03-15-2010
You can achieve this Perl using the following code
Code:
opendir DIR,"." or die "Can't open dir : $!\n";
while (my $files=readdir(DIR))
{

if ($files=~/^\./) #this is for avoiding the . and .. default files
{
    next;
}
print "$count) $files\t";
if ( $count % 3 == 0 )
{
    print "\n";
}
$count++;
}

The above code will list all the files in the current directory.
It will display 3 files per line.

The sample output I got is as follows

Code:
1) xac  2) dir.pl       3) func.sh
4) xad  5) sc.sh        6) xae
7) xab  8) test.sh      9) split.sh
10) xaa

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing column of variable length anf fixed width file

Hi, I have two input files. File1: ID Name Place 1-234~name1~Newyork 1-34~name2~Boston 1-2345~name3~Hungary File1 is a variable length file where each column is seperated by delimitter "~". File2: ID Country 1-34<<11 SPACES>>USA<<7 spaces>> 1-234<<10 SPACES>>UK<<8... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit entire column from a fixed-width file using awk or sed

Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 12 Completed 08 0830 12 In Progress 09 0829 11 For F U 07 0828 Considering the file above, how could i replace the third column the most efficient way? The actual file size is almost 1G. I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing one column of delimited file column to fixed width column

Hi, Iam new to unix. I have one input file . Input file : ID1~Name1~Place1 ID2~Name2~Place2 ID3~Name3~Place3 I need output such that only first column should change to fixed width column of 15 characters of length. Output File: ID1<<12 spaces>>Name1~Place1 ID2<<12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove duplicates based on a column in fixed width file

Hi, How to output the duplicate record to another file. We say the record is duplicate based on a column whose position is from 2 and its length is 11 characters. The file is a fixed width file. ex of Record: DTYU12333567opert tjhi kkklTRG9012 The data in bold is the key on which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a fixed width text file into several ones based on a column value?

Hi, I have a fixed width text file without any header row. One of the columns contains a date in YYYYMMDD format. If the original file contains 3 dates, I want my shell script to split the file into 3 small files with data for each date. I am a newbie and need help doing this. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhanja_trinanja
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To replace the value of the column in a fixed width file

I have a fixed with file with header & trailer length having the same length of the detail record file. The details record length of this file is 24, for Header and Trailer the records will be padded with spaces to match the record length of the file Currently I am adding 3 spaces in header... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print column details from fixed width file using awk command

hi, i have a fixed width file with multiple columns and need to print data using awk command. i use: awk -F "|" '($5 == BH) {print $1,$2,$3}' <non_AIM target>.txt for a delimiter file. but now i have a fixed width file like below: 7518 8269511BH 20141224951050N8262 11148 8269511BH... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcdg859
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command -Filter rows in fixed width file based on column values

Hi All, I am trying to select the rows in a fixed width file based on values in the columns. I want to select only the rows if column position 3-4 has the value AB I am using cut command to get the column values. Is it possible to check if cut -c3-4 = AB is true then select only that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column to row and position data in a text file

Hi everyone.. I have a list of values in a file... a, b, c, 1, 2, 3, aaaa, bbbbb, I am interested in converting this column to a row.. "text",aaaa, bbbb a,1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manihi
7 Replies
GST-PACKAGE(1)							   User Commands						    GST-PACKAGE(1)

NAME
gst-package - create and install GNU Smalltalk .star package files DESCRIPTION
Usage: gst-package [OPTION]... ARGS... Operation modes: --install make or install STAR packages (default) --uninstall remove the packages mentioned in the FILES --dist copy files instead of creating STAR files. --prepare create configure.ac or Makefile.am --list-files PKG just output the list of files in the package --list-packages just output the list of packages in the files --download, --update download package from smalltalk.gnu.org or from its specified URL --help display this message and exit --version print version information and exit Common suboptions: -n, --dry-run print commands without running them --srcdir DIR look for non-built files in directory DIR --distdir DIR for --dist, place files in directory DIR --destdir DIR prefix the destination directory with DIR --target-directory DIR install the files in DIR (unused for --dist) -I, --image-file=FILE load into the specified image --kernel-dir=PATH use the specified kernel directory -v, --verbose print extra information while processing --install suboptions: --test run unit tests after merging --load also load the Smalltalk files in the image --list-files suboptions: --load only list files that are filed in when loading --test with --load, also include unit test files --vpath Omit path to srcdir for files that are there --dist suboptions: --all-files Process all files, not just non-built ones --copy Do not create symbolic links All operation modes except --download (or its synonym --update) accept paths to package.xml files or .star files, including remote URLs. --download and --update accept names of packages, which will be searched in the current system or on smalltalk.gnu.org) or URLs to pack- age.xml or .star files. Except in uninstall and list files mode, gst-package requires write access to the GNU Smalltalk image directory, and merges the XML package files on the command line with that file. The default target directory is /build/buildd-gnu-smalltalk_3.2.4-2-amd64-LVoFQd/gnu-smalltalk-3.2.4 SEE ALSO
The full documentation for gst-package is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and gst-package programs are properly installed at your site, the command info gst should give you access to the complete manual. gst-package version 3.2.4 December 2011 GST-PACKAGE(1)