Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers bash script to increment a digit in filename Post 302403729 by hbjlee17 on Sunday 14th of March 2010 08:52:41 AM
Old 03-14-2010
Hi thanks for the quick response.
It did not work...

Code:

ls GHost++\ `date +%Y-%m-%d`* | awk -F'[ -1]'  '{ old=$0; $5+=3; system( sprintf("mv %s %s",old, $0) ) } '
mv: target `LC' is not a directory

---------- Post updated at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:27 AM ----------

I am not sure if this would make it easier, but basically I want to add 3 hours to the date stamp in the file name.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parsing filename with bash script

Hi all! Looking for some help parsing filenames in bash. I have a directory full of files named "livingroom-110111105637.avi". The format is always date and time (yymmddhhmmss). I'm looking to parse the filenames so they are a little more easily readable. Maybe rename them to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtehonica
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script: Str(007) to int(7),increment it(8) & convert back to string(008)

Hi, I have the following requirement. There will be following text/line in a file (eg: search-build.txt) PRODUCT_VERSION="V:01.002.007.Build1234" I need to update the incremental build number (eg here 007) every time I give a build through script. I am able to search the string and get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drwatson_droid
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

increment counter as suffix starting with the rightmost digit

Hi, I would like to add a suffix to a file name but maintain the suffix length to 5 digits. For eg, output > 1st_file.00001, 2nd_file.00002...10th_file.00010....100th_file.00100 Can anyone please advise me on how to go about it? Platform: SunOS mps201a 5.9 Generic_118558-39 sun4u... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT!!! bash script to sort files into folder according to a string in the filename

Hi all. I am very new to linux scripting and i have a task i can only solve with a script. I need to sort files base on the date string in their filenames and create a folder using the same date string then move the files to their respective folders. Scenario: Folder Path:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace47
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to sort files into folder according to a string in the filename

Hi all. I am very new to linux scripting and i have a task i can only solve with a script. I need to sort files base on the date string in their filenames and create a folder using the same date string then move the files to their respective folders. Scenario: Folder Path:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace47
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change filename - increment digit by 60

I have a bunch of files, they have spaces! I am working in windows 7, but I am hoping I could install and use cygwin or some other unix platform to rename my files (suggestions welcome). The files are named: Wind Attn Vol - 474.wrl Wind Attn Vol - 475.wrl Wind Attn Vol - 476.wrl etc.. I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_sai_kumar
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Pass filename to AWK in bash script

I have written a script which works fine, to remove patterns contained in EXCLUDE.DAT from input.txt awk 'BEGIN {n=0;while (getline < "EXCLUDE.DAT" > 0){ex=$0;n++}} {for(var in ex){print var "-" ex $0 ;i++}}' input.txt The last problem I need to solve is how to pass the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Getting first digit of a string

If i'm given a string like "abc-def-1.2.3", how would I return "1"? I'm new to scripting and got stumped on this problem. Thanks in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atsim
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script - Remove the 3 top level of a full path filename

Hello. Source file are in : /a/b/c/d/e/f/g/some_file Destination is : /d/e where sub-directories "f" and "g" may missing or not. After copying I want /a/b/c/d/e/f/g/file1 in /d/e/f/g/file1 On source /a is top-level directory On destination /d is top-level directory I would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing filename with sed in bash script

I need to cat two files with similar names. I am using the following script: #!/bin/bash if ] then file=$1 file2="${file%R1.fastq}R2.fastq" echo fetching data from R2 file ... sleep 3 cat $file $file2 > infile else echo "Input_file passed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
2 Replies
CHRONICLE-RSS-IMPORTER(1)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 CHRONICLE-RSS-IMPORTER(1)

NAME
chronicle-rss-importer - Import entries from an RSS feed to chronicle SYNOPSIS
General Options: --output Specify the directory to write entries to. --feed Specify the URL of the feed. --sequential Specify that entries should be numbered rather than named. Help Options: --help Show the help information for this script. --manual Read the manual for this script. --verbose Show useful debugging information. ABOUT
Chronicle is a simple tool to convert a collection of text files, located within a single directory, into a blog consisting of static HTML files. This importer script will create a directory of input files from a given RSS feed, by downloading it and writing out each entry to a single text file. The output files will be named after the entries titles, or if B<--sequential> was used each entry will be numbered numerically. AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. perl v5.12.3 2011-05-03 CHRONICLE-RSS-IMPORTER(1)