Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting stdin/stdout to/from command from/to string Post 302403707 by jlliagre on Sunday 14th of March 2010 01:35:44 AM
Old 03-14-2010
Perhaps using a tmpfs based filesystem would improve the performance enough.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting to stdin

Hi, I'm having trouble with my script. I have to select different choices without any interaction from a menu that looks like : a - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx b - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx c - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx d - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx I tried things like : echo "a" >&0 read < echo "a" but none worked. Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: flame_eagle
4 Replies

2. Programming

stdout/stdin + flushing buffers

Hi all I've run into a snag in a program of mine where part of what I entered in at the start of run-time, instead of the current value within printf() is being printed out. After failing with fflush() and setbuf(), I tried the following approach void BufferFlusher() { int in=0;... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin from fd 3-9?

Hi I'm trying to do something on the bash command line that I will later put into a bash shell script. I'm trying to take a program that reads stdin (using getline) and be able to keep it running in the background and fire "commands" to it. So what I thought I should do was to try taking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niceguyeddie
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't close stdin/stdout in shell

#!/bin/sh exec 0</dev/null exec 1>/dev/null ls -l /proc/self/fd >&2 produces total 0 lr-x------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 0 -> /proc/7886/fd lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 1 -> /dev/pts/4 lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 2 -> /dev/pts/4 I've verified the shell is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting to stdout in betwen command

can anyone help me in making singleline command for Capital Letters are folders ,small letter are files X,Y,Z are subfolders of A as shown below A - X,Y,Z Folder X has three files a.txt,b.txt,c.txt similarly Y,Z. as shown below X- a.txt,b.txt,c.txt Y- a.txt,b.txt,c.txt Z-... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix_nebula
4 Replies

7. Programming

read and write stdin/stdout in unix

Hi, i am using the below program to read from the standard input or to write to standard out put. i know that using highlevel functions this can be done better than what i have done here. i just want to know is there any other method by which i find the exact number of characters ( this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDIN and STDOUT

Hallo, i have a script like: if ;then echo "OK" else echo "ERROR $2 is missing" fi; if ;then touch $2 fi; if ;then cat $1 | grep xy > $2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eightball
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdion, stdout within an AT command

Hello, I'm strugling with some redirecting and all help is apreciated. The following program is working as expected, but the result of the AT command doesn't go to any file. Thanks in advance for the help. #!/bin/bash modem=/dev/ttyUSB1 file=/root/imsi.txt # print error to stderr and exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleitao
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[stdin / stdout] Strategies for redirecting outputs

Well.. let's say i need to write a pretty simple script. In my script i have 2 variables which can have value of 0 or 1. $VERBOSE $LOG I need to implement these cases: ($VERBOSE = 0 && $LOG = 0) => ONLY ERROR output (STDERR to console && STDOUT to /dev/null) ($VERBOSE = 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marmz
5 Replies
mount_tmpfs(1M) 					  System Administration Commands					   mount_tmpfs(1M)

NAME
mount_tmpfs - mount tmpfs file systems SYNOPSIS
mount [ -F tmpfs] [ -o specific_options] [-O] special mount_point DESCRIPTION
tmpfs is a memory based file system which uses kernel resources relating to the VM system and page cache as a file system. mount attaches a tmpfs file system to the file system hierarchy at the pathname location mount_point, which must already exist. If mount_point has any contents prior to the mount operation, these remain hidden until the file system is once again unmounted. The attributes (mode, owner, and group) of the root of the tmpfs filesystem are inherited from the underlying mount_point, provided that those attributes are determinable. If not, the root's attributes are set to their default values. The special argument is usually specified as swap but is in fact disregarded and assumed to be the virtual memory resources within the sys- tem. OPTIONS
-o specific_options Specify tmpfs file system specific options in a comma-separated list with no intervening spaces. If invalid options are specified, a warning message is printed and the invalid options are ignored. The following options are avail- able: size=sz The sz argument controls the size of this particular tmpfs file system. If the argument is has a `k' suffix, the number will be interpreted as a number of kilobytes. An `m' suffix will be inter- preted as a number of megabytes. No suffix is interpreted as bytes. In all cases, the actual size of the file system is the number of bytes specified, rounded up to the physical pagesize of the system. xattr | noxattr Allow or disallow the creation and manipulation of extended attributes. The default is xattr. See fsattr(5) for a description of extended attributes. -O Overlay mount. Allow the file system to be mounted over an existing mount point, making the underlying file system inaccessible. If a mount is attempted on a pre-existing mount point without setting this flag, the mount will fail, producing the errordevice busy. FILES
/etc/mnttab Table of mounted file systems ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mount(1M), mkdir(2), mount(2), open(2), umount(2), mnttab(4), attributes(5), fsattr(5), tmpfs(7FS) NOTES
If the directory on which a file system is to be mounted is a symbolic link, the file system is mounted on the directory to which the sym- bolic link refers, rather than on top of the symbolic link itself. SunOS 5.10 24 Nov 2003 mount_tmpfs(1M)