Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Missing Assigned Variable within logic operator Post 302403526 by karthigayan on Friday 12th of March 2010 10:07:57 PM
Old 03-12-2010
MySQL

To assign a command output to the variable you need to use the backtick(`).and also you should not give space while assign the output to a variable.

Code:
while :
do
echo "what's ur name? (if none just press [ENTER])"
read name
changeName=`echo $name | sed "s/on/ey/"`
echo $changeName  #this variable still can be read
if [ -z $name ]; then
 echo "you don't have a name goodbye"
 exit 0
else
 echo "your name will change from: $name to $changeName" #now changeName cannot be read why?
fi
done

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does $? mean when assigned to a variable?

If i write this statement in a Korn Shell script RCODE=$? what possibly does it eman? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjita.c
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a variable has a value assigned?

Hi, I want to check if a variable has a value assigned to it or not. I can do following - cat $Var > File1 if then echo "$Var has value" else echo "$Var is null" fi But I have to check for 3 Variables and I want to wrap it up in couple of unix statements. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unary operator is missing

hi , i m getting an error unary operator is missing. pls check why is this so? i=5 while test $i !=0 do echo $i i=`expr $i - 1` done (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] Variable won't get assigned value

I am making of a script that will go through a couple of for loops and create file names based on the values in that loop, however the variable that combines everything is not getting assigned properly: #! /bin/bash for imod in K33_j1b_WS9_6 do for emod in mb2A mb2C mb3A mb3C mb4A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badinsults
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use logic NOT operator for multiple AND conditions

Hi, my requirement is that my builds should not be built if the current hour is greater 3 but not (between 12 and 15), I'm trying to write a shell script for this but there is always an error hour=$1 echo "hour:$hour" if && ! && ]; then echo "exit" else echo "enter" fi ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kgsrinivas
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a data assigned to a variable

The requirement is, there is a log file which contains a huge data. i need to get a particular field out of it by searching with another field. ex: 2011-03-28 13:00:07,423 : millis=231 q={ call get_data_account(?,?,?,?,?) }, params= i need to search for the word "get_data_account" in file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you check if a variable has been assigned?

I am trying to check whether a variable has been assigned on the command line or not. Here is what I did: #!/usr/bin/bash if( $variable == '\0') { print "variable was not assigned" exit } else NF = 2 {print $1, ""} exit fi awk -f question1.awk variable = 58 letters.txt. So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fred63528
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl multiple qr assigned to variable

Experts, I'm having problems with the code below. I'm trying to test $var2 for two different regexs. I thought it could be done per below, but I'm getting the following error when running. $ ./test.pl b fed50c0100**** Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies

9. Programming

Missing Logic Looping Through Switch Statement

Having trouble with the logic when looping over this switch case again: for (j = 0; data != 0; j++){ switch(data){ case 'c': output = ranit(r_brace_array); break; case 'h': output = ranit(pipe_array); break; ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
6 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)