Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Beginner questions about versions and installing Post 302403514 by lemming on Friday 12th of March 2010 07:05:28 PM
Old 03-12-2010
New set of questions! Yay!

I followed the instructions for Ubuntu on USB install and have the netbook booting from the USB. I get a screen with UBUNTU at the top, and has options of what to do: Try Ubuntu Netbook Remix with, Install Ubuntu Netbook Remix, Check disc for defects, Test memory, Boot from first hard disk, Advanced options, Help.

If I choose Try or Install, it goes to a black screen with a symbol that I'm pretty sure is the Ubuntu symbol. Then, it takes me to a black screen which seems to be an error message. I don't know what to do here. Lines like "can't open .dev.sdb: No medium found" and "can not mount /dev/loop1 on /cow" don't sound right. I'm left with a prompt and I think that it's asking me to mount a filesystem, but -a (which it tells me is "mount all filesystems in fstab) gets a reply of
"/bin/sh: -a: not found
(initramfs)"

Am I doing something wrong? The install guides I'm finding all seem to think that I'm past the hard part now that the USB is set up and being read. They all say to "follow the instructions" and "it's easy"...

I've tried setting up the usb drive again, and nothing changed. Any ideas what I can do here? Sorry for the huge message, I just don't know what's needed here and what isn't.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Questions

Hi everyone. I guess I am the new guy, and also new to Unix. I purchased a box of computer supplies at an auction, and found an unopened box of Compaq Smartstart. So here is what I have... Smartstart 2.5, Netware, Windows NT, OS2 & Lan Server, SCO Open Server release, SCO Unixware 2, Oracle 7 for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute Beginner Questions

... before you role your eyes, I picked up my first Unix book 3 days ago! As such, I have a few quick questions that I'm sure are super easy for everyone out there but me! Forgive me if the terminology I use is wrong ... I'm accessing a remote Unix server, I can make my way around directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey_tomatoes
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing a Program called MAQ (Beginner Here)

Basically, I'm trying to install this program called MAQ. Maq User's Manual I've downloaded it and I tried to type in $ ./configure; make; make install but the ouput I got was this: bash: ./configure: No such file or directory make: Entering directory `/home/vlay/bwa-0.5.0' make:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
8 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Beginner Questions.

This is the Test_Data.snp file: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Problem Set: Before you get started working with these challenges, be aware that the first challenge is reformatting the test data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
7 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

6. AIX

Beginner's questions about AIX (6.1)

Hello, For some time I have intellistation 9111-285 and I installed AIX 6.1 on it. As a complete beginner I have 2 questions in general about AIX and two specific: 1. is the SMS (system management services) part of AIX? As I noticed when I had Yellowdog Linux installed they weren't available?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenashkov
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner scripting questions User variables

If there's anywhere to look this up, it would be just as helpful. I googled and really couldn't find anything relative to this. ok... General Variables 1) When creating a script I made a file "prog1.sh" does it matter if the end is .sh or is this what has to be done like prog.bash or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Beginner's questions] Filename Validation & Parsing

Hi !! I'm rather new both to the UNIX and scripting worlds, and I'm learning the ropes of scripting. Having said this, please excuse me if you notice certain basic errors. I'm working on a script that implements .jar and .war files for a WAS environment and I need to perform certain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: levaldez
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Installing multiple versions of same package.

I need to install a older version of gnupg but not delete the current version of gnup2 on RHEL 6.4. What would be the correct syntax to install this? Tried to install and relocate it and still getting conflicts. aXXXXXX:root# rpm -ivh /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/gnupg-1.4.16-1.x86_64.rpm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
2 Replies
EHCI(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   EHCI(4)

NAME
ehci -- USB Enhanced Host Controller driver SYNOPSIS
device ehci DESCRIPTION
The ehci driver provides support for the USB Enhanced Host Controller Interface, which is used by USB 2.0 controllers. EHCI controllers are peculiar in that they can only handle the USB 2.0 protocol. This means that they normally have one or more companion controllers (i.e., ohci(4) or uhci(4)) handling USB 1.x devices. Consequently each USB connector is electrically connected to two USB con- trollers. The handling of this is totally automatic, but can be noticed since USB 1.x and USB 2.0 devices plugged in to the same connector appear to connect to different USB busses. SEE ALSO
ohci(4), uhci(4), usb(4), xhci(4) HISTORY
The ehci device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 5.1. LOADER TUNABLES
When the kernel has been compiled with options USB_DEBUG, some tunables become available that affect the behavior of ehci. These tunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf(5). hw.usb.ehci.lostintrbug This tunable enables the lost interrupt quirk. The default value is 0 (off). hw.usb.ehci.iaadbug This tunable enables the EHCI doorbell quirk. The default value is 0 (off). hw.usb.ehci.no_hs This tunable disables USB devices to attach like HIGH-speed ones and will force all attached devices to attach to the FULL- or LOW- speed companion controller. The default value is 0 (off). BSD
March 4, 2012 BSD