Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Beginner questions about versions and installing Post 302403514 by lemming on Friday 12th of March 2010 07:05:28 PM
Old 03-12-2010
New set of questions! Yay!

I followed the instructions for Ubuntu on USB install and have the netbook booting from the USB. I get a screen with UBUNTU at the top, and has options of what to do: Try Ubuntu Netbook Remix with, Install Ubuntu Netbook Remix, Check disc for defects, Test memory, Boot from first hard disk, Advanced options, Help.

If I choose Try or Install, it goes to a black screen with a symbol that I'm pretty sure is the Ubuntu symbol. Then, it takes me to a black screen which seems to be an error message. I don't know what to do here. Lines like "can't open .dev.sdb: No medium found" and "can not mount /dev/loop1 on /cow" don't sound right. I'm left with a prompt and I think that it's asking me to mount a filesystem, but -a (which it tells me is "mount all filesystems in fstab) gets a reply of
"/bin/sh: -a: not found
(initramfs)"

Am I doing something wrong? The install guides I'm finding all seem to think that I'm past the hard part now that the USB is set up and being read. They all say to "follow the instructions" and "it's easy"...

I've tried setting up the usb drive again, and nothing changed. Any ideas what I can do here? Sorry for the huge message, I just don't know what's needed here and what isn't.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Questions

Hi everyone. I guess I am the new guy, and also new to Unix. I purchased a box of computer supplies at an auction, and found an unopened box of Compaq Smartstart. So here is what I have... Smartstart 2.5, Netware, Windows NT, OS2 & Lan Server, SCO Open Server release, SCO Unixware 2, Oracle 7 for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute Beginner Questions

... before you role your eyes, I picked up my first Unix book 3 days ago! As such, I have a few quick questions that I'm sure are super easy for everyone out there but me! Forgive me if the terminology I use is wrong ... I'm accessing a remote Unix server, I can make my way around directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey_tomatoes
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing a Program called MAQ (Beginner Here)

Basically, I'm trying to install this program called MAQ. Maq User's Manual I've downloaded it and I tried to type in $ ./configure; make; make install but the ouput I got was this: bash: ./configure: No such file or directory make: Entering directory `/home/vlay/bwa-0.5.0' make:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
8 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Beginner Questions.

This is the Test_Data.snp file: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Problem Set: Before you get started working with these challenges, be aware that the first challenge is reformatting the test data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
7 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

6. AIX

Beginner's questions about AIX (6.1)

Hello, For some time I have intellistation 9111-285 and I installed AIX 6.1 on it. As a complete beginner I have 2 questions in general about AIX and two specific: 1. is the SMS (system management services) part of AIX? As I noticed when I had Yellowdog Linux installed they weren't available?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenashkov
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner scripting questions User variables

If there's anywhere to look this up, it would be just as helpful. I googled and really couldn't find anything relative to this. ok... General Variables 1) When creating a script I made a file "prog1.sh" does it matter if the end is .sh or is this what has to be done like prog.bash or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Beginner's questions] Filename Validation & Parsing

Hi !! I'm rather new both to the UNIX and scripting worlds, and I'm learning the ropes of scripting. Having said this, please excuse me if you notice certain basic errors. I'm working on a script that implements .jar and .war files for a WAS environment and I need to perform certain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: levaldez
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Installing multiple versions of same package.

I need to install a older version of gnupg but not delete the current version of gnup2 on RHEL 6.4. What would be the correct syntax to install this? Tried to install and relocate it and still getting conflicts. aXXXXXX:root# rpm -ivh /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/gnupg-1.4.16-1.x86_64.rpm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
2 Replies
SYNCPACKAGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SYNCPACKAGE(1)

NAME
syncpackage - copy source packages from Debian to Ubuntu SYNOPSIS
syncpackage [options] <.dsc URL/path or package name> DESCRIPTION
syncpackage causes a source package to be copied from Debian to Ubuntu. syncpackage allows you to upload files with the same checksums of the Debian ones, as the common script used by Ubuntu archive administra- tors does, this way you can preserve source files integrity between the two distributions. syncpackage will detect source tarballs with mismatching checksums, and can perform fake syncs. WARNING
The use of syncpackage --no-lp, which generates a changes file to be directly uploaded to the Ubuntu primary archive or a PPA, is discour- aged by the Ubuntu Archive Administrators, as it introduces an unnecessary window for error. This only exists for backward compatibility, for unusual corner cases (such as fakesyncs), and for uploads to archives other than the Ubuntu primary archive. Omitting this option will cause Launchpad to perform the sync request directly, which is the preferred method for uploads to the Ubuntu primary archive. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show help message and exit -d DIST, --distribution=DIST Debian distribution to sync from. Default is testing during LTS cycles, and unstable otherwise. -r RELEASE, --release=RELEASE Specify target Ubuntu release. Default: current development release. -V DEBVERSION, --debian-version=DEBVERSION Specify the version to sync from. -c COMPONENT, --component=COMPONENT Specify the component to sync from. -b BUG, --bug=BUG Mark a Launchpad bug as being fixed by this upload. -s USERNAME, --sponsor=USERNAME Sponsor the sync for USERNAME (a Launchpad username). -v, --verbose Display more progress information. -F, --fakesync Perform a fakesync, to work around a tarball mismatch between Debian and Ubuntu. This option ignores blacklisting, and performs a local sync. It implies --no-lp, and will leave a signed .changes file for you to upload. -f, --force Force sync over the top of Ubuntu changes. --no-conf Do not read any configuration files, or configuration from environment variables. -l INSTANCE, --lpinstance=INSTANCE Launchpad instance to connect to (default: production). --simulate Show what would be done, but don't actually do it. LOCAL SYNC PREPARATION OPTIONS
Options that only apply when using --no-lp: --no-lp Construct sync locally, rather than letting Launchpad copy the package directly. It will leave a signed .changes file for you to upload. See the WARNING above. -n UPLOADER_NAME, --uploader-name=UPLOADER_NAME Use UPLOADER_NAME as the name of the maintainer for this upload instead of evaluating DEBFULLNAME and UBUMAIL. This option may only be used in --no-lp mode. -e UPLOADER_EMAIL, --uploader-email=UPLOADER_EMAIL Use UPLOADER_EMAIL as the email address of the maintainer for this upload instead of evaluating DEBEMAIL and UBUMAIL. This option may only be used in --no-lp mode. -k KEYID, --key=KEYID Specify the key ID to be used for signing. --dont-sign Do not sign the upload. -d DEBIAN_MIRROR, --debian-mirror=DEBIAN_MIRROR Use the specified mirror. Should be in the form http://ftp.debian.org/debian. If the package isn't found on this mirror, syncpack- age will fall back to the default mirror. -s UBUNTU_MIRROR, --debsec-mirror=UBUNTU_MIRROR Use the specified Debian security mirror. Should be in the form http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu. If the package isn't found on this mirror, syncpackage will fall back to the default mirror. ENVIRONMENT
DEBFULLNAME, DEBEMAIL, UBUMAIL Used to determine the uploader (if not supplied as options). See ubuntu-dev-tools(5) for details. All of the CONFIGURATION VARIABLES below are also supported as environment variables. Variables in the environment take precedence to those in configuration files. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The following variables can be set in the environment or in ubuntu-dev-tools(5) configuration files. In each case, the script-specific variable takes precedence over the package-wide variable. SYNCPACKAGE_DEBIAN_MIRROR, UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBIAN_MIRROR The default value for --debian-mirror. SYNCPACKAGE_UBUNTU_MIRROR, UBUNTUTOOLS_DEBSEC_MIRROR The default value for --ubuntu-mirror. SYNCPACKAGE_KEYID, UBUNTUTOOLS_KEYID The default value for --key. SEE ALSO
requestsync(1), ubuntu-dev-tools(5) AUTHOR
syncpackage was written by Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@canonical.com> and Benjamin Drung <bdrung@ubuntu.com>. This manual page were written by Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@ubuntu.com> Both are released under GNU General Public License, version 3. ubuntu-dev-tools June 2010 SYNCPACKAGE(1)