Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat mounting ntfs volume in RHEL5 Post 302403511 by redhead on Friday 12th of March 2010 06:43:51 PM
Old 03-12-2010
If you're not depending on something added from RH addition to drivers and such, just fetch the vanilla kernel source from ftp.kernel.org convinient located at linux-2.6.33

Copy your "normal configuration" ie: cp /boot/config-`uname -r` /where_you_ve_unpacked_the_vanilla_kernel/.config

and chenge to that directory, issue "make menuconfig" and assure the FUSE addition has been made.

Then issue:
Code:
make
make modules_install
make install
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.33.img 2.6.33
cp .config /boot/config-2.6.33
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.33
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.33
ln -s /boot/System.map-2.6.33 /boot/System.map

If, this is causing any trouble, please follow the Instructions for compiling a kernel under RH5, making sure that you've enabled the FUSE module.

Last edited by redhead; 03-12-2010 at 07:51 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting Netware Volume

I have an Intranetware 4.11 server with a shared directory that I want to be able to access from my SCO UNIX server. I think I need to mount the netware volume from within UNIX, but I don't know the proper syntax for mounting it. When I'm done I would like to be able to copy files from the UNIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamacin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounting ntfs through network???

Hi all, I wonder if there is any possibility to mount NTFS or FAT32 from remote Windows* machine to, let's say, OpenBSD or RedHat??? Like Samba, but reverse. Thank you all. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solvman
6 Replies

3. Red Hat

Mounting NTFS filesystem

I'm currently running dual boot Linux & Windows. Linux is Fedora core 3. I've downloaded and installed the rmp that was needed so that I could mount a NTFS filesystem. But when I go to mount the filesystem I'm still getting error's stating it does not support the NTFS filesystem. Also the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
9 Replies

4. BSD

Mounting ext3 & NTFS on PC-BSD!!

I'm having problem mounting ext3 & ntfs partitions on my PC-BSD OS. Can anyone please help me out here. What are the changes required to be done in fstab?? Are there any patches to be installed?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: void_man()
1 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Mounting USB NTFS External Disk R/W on OSX

Does anyone know an easy way to mount an NTFS (NT File System) external backup drive R/W on OSX? I use one backup drive for both my XP and OSX files via a USB interface. On XP it mounts R/W. On OSX it mounts Read Only :-( I'm growing weary of using flash drives and burning CDs to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Mounting volume icons on connected servers

have 3 mac all running osx 10.5.8. Two G4 power books and 1 power Mac G4. I am able to connect each mac to each other by using the connect to server command in the finder menu but I can only get the icon of a connected volume to mount on the desktop. I can connect but I only see a window with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcass1
3 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem mounting NTFS file System in REDHAT Enterprise 5

When I am trying to mount my windows partitions in REDHAT Enterprise Linux 5 using these command mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/ntfs I have encountered with the problem mentioned below FATAL: Module fuse not found. ntfs-3g-mount: fuse device is missing, try 'modprobe fuse' as root I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dearanik
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Mounting NTFS Drive through JBOD

Very green to the world of Linux/Unix computing, as I have recently been tasked with getting out internal network set up for incoming data sets we are receiving. Unfortunately our system is Linux/Unix mainly, and the drives that are coming in are SATA NTFS formatted. I'm wondering if there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbrowne20
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies
KERNEL-INSTALL(8)						  kernel-install						 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)

NAME
kernel-install - Add and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot SYNOPSIS
kernel-install COMMAND KERNEL-VERSION [KERNEL-IMAGE] DESCRIPTION
kernel-install is used to install and remove kernel and initramfs images to and from /boot. kernel-install will execute the files located in the directory /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/ and the local administration directory /etc/kernel/install.d/. All files are collectively sorted and executed in lexical order, regardless of the directory in which they live. However, files with identical filenames replace each other. Files in /etc/kernel/install.d/ take precedence over files with the same name in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/. This can be used to override a system-supplied executables with a local file if needed; a symbolic link in /etc/kernel/install.d/ with the same name as an executable in /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/, pointing to /dev/null, disables the executable entirely. Executables must have the extension ".install"; other extensions are ignored. An executable should return 0 on success. It may also return 77 to cause the whole operation to terminate (executables later in lexical order will be skipped). COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: add KERNEL-VERSION KERNEL-IMAGE kernel-install creates the directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ and calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments add KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ KERNEL-IMAGE The kernel-install plugin 50-depmod.install runs depmod for the KERNEL-VERSION. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install copies KERNEL-IMAGE to /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/linux. It also creates a boot loader entry according to the boot loader specification in /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. The title of the entry is the PRETTY_NAME parameter specified in /etc/os-release or /usr/lib/os-release (if the former is missing), or "Linux KERNEL-VERSION", if unset. If the file initrd is found next to the linux file, the initrd will be added to the configuration. remove KERNEL-VERSION Calls executables from /usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install and /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install with the arguments remove KERNEL-VERSION /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ kernel-install removes the entire directory /boot/MACHINE-ID/KERNEL-VERSION/ afterwards. The kernel-install plugin 90-loaderentry.install removes the file /boot/loader/entries/MACHINE-ID-KERNEL-VERSION.conf. EXIT STATUS
If every executable returns 0 or 77, 0 is returned, and a non-zero failure code otherwise. FILES
/usr/lib/kernel/install.d/*.install /etc/kernel/install.d/*.install Drop-in files which are executed by kernel-install. /etc/kernel/cmdline /proc/cmdline The content of the file /etc/kernel/cmdline specifies the kernel command line to use. If that file does not exist, /proc/cmdline is used. /etc/machine-id The content of the file specifies the machine identification MACHINE-ID. /etc/os-release /usr/lib/os-release The content of the file specifies the operating system title PRETTY_NAME. SEE ALSO
machine-id(5), os-release(5), Boot loader specification[1] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec systemd 237 KERNEL-INSTALL(8)