Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find a special string in a text document Post 302403343 by bakunin on Friday 12th of March 2010 06:59:29 AM
Old 03-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnino
Code:
if [ "$(cat database.txt)" = "ERROR" ];

The problem with this is that you are asking if "cat database.txt" is exactly "ERROR", which of course it isn't. For tasks like yours, where you want to know if a text contains a certain string there is a Unix command named "grep". Have a look at the man page for grep to find out what you could do with it (which is quite a lot, i can assure you).

Your code should look like:

Code:
if [ $(grep -c "ERROR" database.txt) = 0 ]; then
     print - "no error found"
else
     print - "error found"
fi

Similar for "WARNING", etc..

I hope this helps (and you don't forget your code-tags from now on ;-) ).

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on find a document

Hey all, I've been trying to find a document. The document is a list of all supported hardware that Solaris 7 supports. If anyone knows where this can be found thx in advanced. I've tried looking through the docs.sun.com site and can't find what I am after. It's just a list of hardware... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for command(s)/ script to find a text string within a file

I need to search through all files with different file suffixes in a directory structure to locate any files containing a specific string (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrwelden
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with find and replace w/string containing special characters

Can I get some help on this please, I have looked at the many post with similar questions and have tried the solutions and they are not working for my scenario which is: I have a text file (myfile) that contains b_log=$g_log/FILENAME.log echo "Begin processing file FILENAME " >> $b_log ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAGIRL
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find text containing paths and replace with a string in all the python files

I have 100+ python files in a single directory. I need to replace a specific path occurrence with a variable name. Following are the find and the replace strings: Findstring--"projects\\Debugger\\debugger_dp8051_01\\debugger_dp8051_01.cywrk" Replacestring--self.projpath I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorsam
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find text enclosed between special characters

Hi, I'm trying to find all DISTINCT words having _mr in the line and ENCLOSED in '/'. For eg below is the text in a file.. /database/new_mr254/1 /database/rawdb/views/new_mr254/1 /database/project/rawdb/tables/new_mr232/1 /database/project/rawdb/views/new_mr253/1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: northwest
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in text file

Hello! Please, help me to write such script. I have some text file with name filename.txt I must check if this file contains string "test-string-first", I must cut from this file string which follows string "keyword-string:" and till first white-space and save it to some variable. For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: optik77
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find repeated string in a text file

I have a text file where I need to find the string = ST*850* This string is repetaed several times in the file, so I need to know how many times it appears in the file, this is the text files: ISA*00* *00* *08*925485USNR *ZZ*IMSALADDERSP... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cucosss
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Need help] perl script to find the occurance of string from a text file

I have two files 1. input.txt 2. keyword.txt input.txt has contents like .src_ref 0 "call.s" 24 first 0x000000 0x5a80 0x0060 BRA.l 0x60 .src_ref 0 "call.s" 30 first 0x000002 0x1bc5 RETI .src_ref 0 "call.s" 31 first 0x000003 0x6840 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acdc
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in a text file

Dear all, I want to find all the "," in my text file and then replace the commas to a tab. I found a script online but I don't know how to modify the script for my case. Any one can help? Thank you. @echo off &setlocal set "search=%1" set "replace=%2" set "textfile=Input.txt" set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
2 Replies
GAPPLETVIEWER(1)							GNU							  GAPPLETVIEWER(1)

NAME
gappletviewer - Load and runs an applet SYNOPSIS
appletviewer [OPTION]... URL... appletviewer [OPTION]... -code CODE appletviewer [OPTION]... -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT DESCRIPTION
The appletviewer tool loads and runs an applet. Use the first form to test applets specified by tag. The URL should resolve to an HTML document from which the appletviewer will extract applet tags. The APPLET, EMBED and OBJECT tags are supported. If a given document contains multiple applet tags, all the applets will be loaded, with each applet appearing in its own window. Likewise, when multiple URLs are specified, each applet tag instance is given its own window. If a given document contains no recognized tags the appletviewer does nothing. appletviewer http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ Use the second form to test an applet in development. This form allows applet tag attributes to be supplied on the command line. Only one applet may be specified using the -code option. The -code option overrides the URL form -- any URLs specified will be ignored. appletviewer -code Test.class -param datafile,data.txt gcjwebplugin uses the third form to communicate with the appletviewer through named pipes. OPTIONS
URL OPTIONS -debug This option is not yet implemented but is provided for compatibility. -encoding CHARSET Use this option to specify an alternate character encoding for the specified HTML page. APPLET TAG OPTIONS -code CODE Use the -code option to specify the value of the applet tag CODE attribute. -codebase CODEBASE Use the -codebase option to specify the value of the applet tag CODEBASE attribute. -archive ARCHIVE Use the -archive option to specify the value of the applet tag ARCHIVE attribute. -width WIDTH Use the -width option to specify the value of the applet tag WIDTH attribute. -height HEIGHT Use the -height option to specify the value of the applet tag HEIGHT attribute. -param NAME,VALUE Use the -param option to specify values for the NAME and VALUE attributes of an applet PARAM tag. PLUGIN OPTION -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT gcjwebplugin uses the -plugin option to specify the named pipe the appletviewer should use for receiving commands (INPUT) and the one it should use for sending commands to gcjwebplugin (OUTPUT). DEBUGGING OPTION -verbose Use the -verbose option to have the appletviewer print debugging messages. STANDARD OPTIONS -help Use the -help option to have the appletviewer print a usage message, then exit. -version Use the -version option to have the appletviewer print its version, then exit. -JOPTION Use the -J option to pass OPTION to the virtual machine that will run the appletviewer. Unlike other options, there must not be a space between the -J and OPTION. BUGS
SEE ALSO
AUTHOR
0.98 2010-07-05 GAPPLETVIEWER(1)