Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [sed] extract words from a string Post 302403280 by vivekraj on Friday 12th of March 2010 03:11:15 AM
Old 03-12-2010
You try the following code.

Code:
sed -r 's/(.*[1-28])\.log\..*/\1/' <filename>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a string after a pattern using sed

I have a very large file and each line has a pattern and it is not position specific. I need to extract the string after the pattern ****MI* is the pattern in the red color 12 digit number is the sting value in the green color and it ends with ~ e.g. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gunaah
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to conditionally extract stanzas of a file based on a search string

Dear All, I have a file with the syntax below (composed of several <log ..... </log> stanzas) I need to search this file for a number e.g. 2348022225919, and if it is found in a stanza, copy the whole stanza/section (<log .... </log>) to another output file. The numbers to search for are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aitayemi
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion using sed

Hi All I have 3 files as listed below and highlighted in bold the portions of the filenames I need to extract: TOS_TABIN218_20090323.200903231830 TOS_TABIN219_1_20090323.200903231830 TOS_TABIN219_2_20090323.200903231830 I tried source_tabin_name=`echo $fname | sed 's/_.*//'` but I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string portion from filename using sed

Hi All, I posted something similar before but I now have a another problem. I have filenames as below TOP_TABIN240_20090323.200903231830 TOP_TABIN235_1_20090323.200903231830 i need to extract the dates as in bold. Using bash v 3.xx Im trying to using the print sed command but... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: santam
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed filter words from string

I have following string in a variable: str="sstring garbage adfsdf tab.col1 lkad rjfj tab2.col2 adja tab2.col4 garbage" I want to filter "word.word" pattern from it. I assume the pattern won't occur in start or end of the string. Output shoud be: tab.col1 tab2.col2 tab2.col4 Can this be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicon007
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data b/w two words using sed

Hi, I want to extract data b/w two words with the help of sed.. Eg: In "Anna said that she would fetch the bucket", I want to display data b/w "Anna" and "would" O/P: said that she I have tried with below code, but unable to get desired o/p echo "Anna said that she would fetch the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to extract a word or string.

I am working with the ksh shell in HP UNIX and I am attempting to extract a word, beginning with a particular string and ending at the first space. for example I want to extract the word or string MS_RECENT_ACTIVITY from the following string " This has been entered in MS_RECENT_ACTIVITY the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpletech369
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract part of string using sed

Hi, I have the following string and I need to extract the date from it: TextHere,2012/07/11,1 I tried using sed: sed -n 's#^.*\({4}/{2}/{2}\).*$#\1#p' But it doesn't return anything. The following line doesn't even return '2012': sed -n 's/^.*\({4}\).*$/\1/p' I used to use grep -o... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract a string between two words in XML file

i need to extract the string between two tags, input file is <PersonInfoShipTo AddressID="446311709" AddressLine1="" AddressLine2="" AddressLine3="" AddressLine4="" AddressLine5="" AddressLine6="" AlternateEmailID="" Beeper="" City="" Company="" Country="" DayFaxNo="" DayPhone="" Department=""... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padmanabhan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk/sed command to extract the string between 2 patterns but having some particular value

Hi - i have one file with content as below. ***** BEGIN 123 ***** BASH is awesome ***** END ***** ***** BEGIN 365 ***** KSH is awesome ***** END ***** ***** BEGIN 157 ***** KSH is awesome ***** END ***** ***** BEGIN 7123 ***** C is awesome ***** END ***** I am trying to find all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
4 Replies
term::ansi::code(n)						 Terminal control					       term::ansi::code(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
term::ansi::code - Helper for control sequences SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.4 package require term::ansi::code ?0.1? ::term::ansi::code::esc str ::term::ansi::code::escb str ::term::ansi::code::define name escape code ::term::ansi::code::const name code _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides commands enabling the definition of control sequences in an easy manner. ::term::ansi::code::esc str This command returns the argument string, prefixed with the ANSI escape character, "33." ::term::ansi::code::escb str This command returns the argument string, prefixed with a common ANSI escape sequence, "33[". ::term::ansi::code::define name escape code This command defines a procedure name which returns the control sequence code, beginning with the specified escape sequence, either esc, or escb. ::term::ansi::code::const name code This command defines a procedure name which returns the control sequence code. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category term of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. KEYWORDS
control, declare, define, terminal COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> term 0.1 term::ansi::code(n)