Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Beginner questions about versions and installing Post 302403258 by pludi on Friday 12th of March 2010 01:38:50 AM
Old 03-12-2010
Ad 1) There are guides on how to install Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora from an USB stick. Just don't expect any performance wonders from an EeePc

Ad 2) Read up on UNIX, Linux, GNU, Solaris, OpenSolaris, BSD, Linux distributions, and POSIX

Ad 3) There's plenty of information out there. Man pages (manual pages) for the most part describe what a certain command does and what command line switches it accepts. Other than that most free operating systems rely on the internet: mailing lists, boards, forums, IRC channels, ... Unless you buy a support contract you probably won't find a central contact for any issues, but that won't mean you can't get help. You just have to know how to word your question correctly.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Beginner Questions

Hi everyone. I guess I am the new guy, and also new to Unix. I purchased a box of computer supplies at an auction, and found an unopened box of Compaq Smartstart. So here is what I have... Smartstart 2.5, Netware, Windows NT, OS2 & Lan Server, SCO Open Server release, SCO Unixware 2, Oracle 7 for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute Beginner Questions

... before you role your eyes, I picked up my first Unix book 3 days ago! As such, I have a few quick questions that I'm sure are super easy for everyone out there but me! Forgive me if the terminology I use is wrong ... I'm accessing a remote Unix server, I can make my way around directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey_tomatoes
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing a Program called MAQ (Beginner Here)

Basically, I'm trying to install this program called MAQ. Maq User's Manual I've downloaded it and I tried to type in $ ./configure; make; make install but the ouput I got was this: bash: ./configure: No such file or directory make: Entering directory `/home/vlay/bwa-0.5.0' make:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
8 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Beginner Questions.

This is the Test_Data.snp file: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Problem Set: Before you get started working with these challenges, be aware that the first challenge is reformatting the test data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlay2
7 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

6. AIX

Beginner's questions about AIX (6.1)

Hello, For some time I have intellistation 9111-285 and I installed AIX 6.1 on it. As a complete beginner I have 2 questions in general about AIX and two specific: 1. is the SMS (system management services) part of AIX? As I noticed when I had Yellowdog Linux installed they weren't available?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenashkov
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner scripting questions User variables

If there's anywhere to look this up, it would be just as helpful. I googled and really couldn't find anything relative to this. ok... General Variables 1) When creating a script I made a file "prog1.sh" does it matter if the end is .sh or is this what has to be done like prog.bash or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Beginner's questions] Filename Validation & Parsing

Hi !! I'm rather new both to the UNIX and scripting worlds, and I'm learning the ropes of scripting. Having said this, please excuse me if you notice certain basic errors. I'm working on a script that implements .jar and .war files for a WAS environment and I need to perform certain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: levaldez
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Installing multiple versions of same package.

I need to install a older version of gnupg but not delete the current version of gnup2 on RHEL 6.4. What would be the correct syntax to install this? Tried to install and relocate it and still getting conflicts. aXXXXXX:root# rpm -ivh /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/gnupg-1.4.16-1.x86_64.rpm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
2 Replies
Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		      Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner(3pm)

NAME
Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner - naive implementation of some beginner specific error checking SYNOPSIS
use Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner; my $beginner = Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner->new; if (not $beginner->check($data)) { warn $beginner->error; } DESCRIPTION
This is a naive implementation. It needs to be replaced by one using PPI. In Perl 5 there are lots of pitfalls the unaware, especially the beginner can easily fall in. While some might expect the Perl compiler itself would catch those it does not (yet ?) do it. So we took the initiative and added a beginners mode to Padre in which these extra issues are checked. Some are real problems that would trigger an error anyway we just make them a special case with a more specific error message. (e.g. "use warning;" without the trailing s) Others are valid code that can be useful in the hands of a master but that are poisonous when written by mistake by someone who does not understand them. (e.g. "if ($x = /value/) { }" ). This module provides a method called "check" that can check a Perl script (provided as parameter as a single string) and recognize problematic code. Examples See <http://padre.perlide.org/ticket/52> and <http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=728569> Cases o split /,/, @data; Here @data is in scalar context returning the number of elements. Spotted in this form: split /,/, @ARGV; o use warning; s is missing at the end. o map { $_; } (@items),$extra_item; is the same as map { $_; } (@items,$extra_item); but you usually want (map { $_; } (@items)),$extra_item; which means: map all @items and them add $extra_item without mapping it. o Warn about Perl-standard package names being reused package DB; o $x = chomp $y; print chomp $y; o map { s/foo/bar/; } (@items); This returns an array containing true or false values (s/// - return value). Use map { s/foo/bar/; $_; } (@items); to actually change the array via s///. o <@X> o if ($x = /bla/) { } o Pipe | in open() not at the end or the beginning. o open($ph, "| something |"); o Regular expression starting with a quantifier such as /+.../ o } else if { o } elseif { o close; HOW TO ADD ANOTHER ONE
Please feel free to add as many checks as you like. This is done in three steps: Add the test Add one (or more) tests for this case to t/75-perl-beginner.t The test should be successful when your supplied sample fails the check and returns the correct error message. As texts of error messages may change, try to match a good part which allows identification of the message but don't match the very exact text. Tests could use either one-liners written as strings within the test file or external support files. There are samples for both ways in the test script. Add the check Add the check to the check-sub of this file (Document/Perl/Beginner.pm). There are plenty samples here. Remember to add a sample (and maybe short description) what would fail the test. Run the test script to match your test case(s) to the new check. Add the configuration option Go to Config.pm, look for the beginner error checks configuration and add a new setting for your new check there. It defaults to 1 (run the check), but a user could turn it off by setting this to 0 within the Padre configuration file. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2012 The Padre development team as listed in Padre.pm. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-27 Padre::Document::Perl::Beginner(3pm)