Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A shell script or software for generating random passwords Post 302403234 by dwiravi on Thursday 11th of March 2010 11:43:16 PM
Old 03-12-2010
A shell script for generating random passwords

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your reply.
I will again put forth my requirement. I want a random password generator which generates a password.Then we want it should be allocated to a user(He may be oS or databse user on the AIX).Also we want that this password should expire within a specifeid time(say for example 6hrs on in 24 hrs). As we want to provide this account access temporarily for some set of works only. Hope I am able to claer all your doubts this time.

I want to achieve all these activities through a shell script. Please help.

Activities as:
1)Generate a random apassword to a already exsisting user(OS or DB user)
2)In case its a db user......it should 1st connect to DB and then allocate the password.
3) Password should expire in a stipulated time

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

2. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

3. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

A software or a batch file to genarate random passwords

Hi, Is there a batch file or any software to genarate random passwords and the passwords expire automatically after a stipulated time period. Please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or any software to genarate random passwords

Hi, Is there a shell script or any software to genarate random passwords and the passwords expire automatically after a stipulated time period. Please suggest. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Passwords

Hi Friends, I need a quick help in unix scripts, my aim is to generate random passwords like, 1. first 3 characters are alphabets or numbers 2. then one of special characters like &()/?:;+- 3. Last 4 characters are alphabets or numbers total length will be 8. i tried with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a Random String of 'n' length

Hi, How can I generate a string of random characters (alpha+numeric) of a particular length ? For e.g. for n=5, output = 'kasjf' n=10, output = 'hedbcd902k' Also, please let me know if random (valid) dates could also be generated. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a POSIX random number?

Hi Guys and gals... As you know I am getting to grips with POSIX and hit this stumbling block. Generating two random numbers 0 to 255 POSIXly. Speed in not important hence the 'sleep 1' command. I have done a demo that works, but it sure is ugly! Is there a better way? #!/bin/sh # Random... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
SLAPPASSWD(8C)															    SLAPPASSWD(8C)

NAME
slappasswd - OpenLDAP password utility SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/slappasswd [-v] [-u] [-s secret] [-h hash] [-c salt-format] DESCRIPTION
Slappasswd is used to generate an userPassword value suitable for use with ldapmodify(1) or slapd.conf(5) rootpw configuration directive. OPTIONS
-v enable verbose mode. -u Generate RFC2307 userPassword values (the default). Future versions of this program may generate alternative syntaxes by default. This option is provided for forward compatibility. -s secret The secret to hash. If not provided, the user will be prompted for the secret to hash. -h scheme If -h is specified, one of the following RFC2307 schemes may be specified: {CRYPT}, {MD5}, {SMD5}, {SSHA}, and {SHA}. The default is {SSHA}. -c crypt-salt-format Specify the format of the salt passed to crypt(3) when generating {CRYPT} passwords. This string needs to be in sprintf(3) format and may include one (and only one) %s conversion. This conversion will be substituted with a string random characters from [A-Za-z0-9./]. For example, "%.2s" provides a two character salt and "$1$%.8s" tells some versions of crypt(3) to use an MD5 algo- rithm and provides 8 random characters of salt. The default is "%s", which provides 31 characters of salt. LIMITATIONS
The practice storing hashed passwords in userPassword violates Standard Track (RFC2256) schema specifications and may hinder interoperabil- ity. A new attribute type to hold hashed passwords is needed. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
Use of hashed passwords does not protect passwords during protocol transfer. TLS or other eavesdropping protections should be inplace before using LDAP simple bind. The hashed password values should be protected as if they were clear text passwords. SEE ALSO
ldappasswd(1), ldapmodify(1), slapd(8) slapd.conf(5) "OpenLDAP Administrator's Guide" (http://www.OpenLDAP.org/doc/admin/) ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
OpenLDAP is developed and maintained by The OpenLDAP Project (http://www.openldap.org/). OpenLDAP is derived from University of Michigan LDAP 3.3 Release. OpenLDAP 2.0.27-Release 20 August 2000 SLAPPASSWD(8C)