Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A shell script or software for generating random passwords Post 302403234 by dwiravi on Thursday 11th of March 2010 11:43:16 PM
Old 03-12-2010
A shell script for generating random passwords

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your reply.
I will again put forth my requirement. I want a random password generator which generates a password.Then we want it should be allocated to a user(He may be oS or databse user on the AIX).Also we want that this password should expire within a specifeid time(say for example 6hrs on in 24 hrs). As we want to provide this account access temporarily for some set of works only. Hope I am able to claer all your doubts this time.

I want to achieve all these activities through a shell script. Please help.

Activities as:
1)Generate a random apassword to a already exsisting user(OS or DB user)
2)In case its a db user......it should 1st connect to DB and then allocate the password.
3) Password should expire in a stipulated time

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

2. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

3. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

A software or a batch file to genarate random passwords

Hi, Is there a batch file or any software to genarate random passwords and the passwords expire automatically after a stipulated time period. Please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or any software to genarate random passwords

Hi, Is there a shell script or any software to genarate random passwords and the passwords expire automatically after a stipulated time period. Please suggest. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Passwords

Hi Friends, I need a quick help in unix scripts, my aim is to generate random passwords like, 1. first 3 characters are alphabets or numbers 2. then one of special characters like &()/?:;+- 3. Last 4 characters are alphabets or numbers total length will be 8. i tried with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a Random String of 'n' length

Hi, How can I generate a string of random characters (alpha+numeric) of a particular length ? For e.g. for n=5, output = 'kasjf' n=10, output = 'hedbcd902k' Also, please let me know if random (valid) dates could also be generated. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a POSIX random number?

Hi Guys and gals... As you know I am getting to grips with POSIX and hit this stumbling block. Generating two random numbers 0 to 255 POSIXly. Speed in not important hence the 'sleep 1' command. I have done a demo that works, but it sure is ugly! Is there a better way? #!/bin/sh # Random... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
SHADOW(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						 SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - shadowed password file DESCRIPTION
shadow is a file which contains the password information for the system's accounts and optional aging information. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains 9 fields, separated by colons (":"), in the following order: login name It must be a valid account name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, the user will not be able to use a unix password to log in (but the user may log in the system by other means). This field may be empty, in which case no passwords are required to authenticate as the specified login name. However, some applications which read the /etc/shadow file may decide not to permit any access at all if the password field is empty. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. date of last password change The date of the last password change, expressed as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The value 0 has a special meaning, which is that the user should change her password the next time she will log in the system. An empty field means that password aging features are disabled. minimum password age The minimum password age is the number of days the user will have to wait before she will be allowed to change her password again. An empty field and value 0 mean that there are no minimum password age. maximum password age The maximum password age is the number of days after which the user will have to change her password. After this number of days is elapsed, the password may still be valid. The user should be asked to change her password the next time she will log in. An empty field means that there are no maximum password age, no password warning period, and no password inactivity period (see below). If the maximum password age is lower than the minimum password age, the user cannot change her password. password warning period The number of days before a password is going to expire (see the maximum password age above) during which the user should be warned. An empty field and value 0 mean that there are no password warning period. password inactivity period The number of days after a password has expired (see the maximum password age above) during which the password should still be accepted (and the user should update her password during the next login). After expiration of the password and this expiration period is elapsed, no login is possible using the current user's password. The user should contact her administrator. An empty field means that there are no enforcement of an inactivity period. account expiration date The date of expiration of the account, expressed as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. Note that an account expiration differs from a password expiration. In case of an account expiration, the user shall not be allowed to login. In case of a password expiration, the user is not allowed to login using her password. An empty field means that the account will never expire. The value 0 should not be used as it is interpreted as either an account with no expiration, or as an expiration on Jan 1, 1970. reserved field This field is reserved for future use. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/shadow- Backup file for /etc/shadow. Note that this file is used by the tools of the shadow toolsuite, but not by all user and password management tools. SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), passwd(5), pwck(8), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), su(1), sulogin(8). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 SHADOW(5)