Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Safely parsing parameters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Safely parsing parameters Post 302403147 by cfajohnson on Thursday 11th of March 2010 04:00:05 PM
Old 03-11-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
There's plenty wrong with using eval.

Code:
$ string='root=/dev/sda3 noacpi foo "Baz mumble" `echo muahahahaha >&2`'
$ eval "set -- $string"
muahahahaha
$

Now imagine if someone fed it `find /dev -type b -exec dd if=/dev/urandom of={}`.

I don't want my strings to be able to execute arbitrary code like this.

If you put that into the string variable and execute the line I posted, nothing will happen other than the tokens being placed into the positional parameters. The code in $string will not be executed.

Code:
$ string='find /dev -type b -exec dd if=/dev/urandom of={}'
$ eval "set -- $string"
$ printf "%s\n" "$@"
find
/dev
-type
b
-exec
dd
if=/dev/urandom
of={}

There are no ill effects.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Parameters

How do you pass parameters over to another script and run the receiving script? . Here is an example of what I am talking about. for x in `cat Allx` do su myaccount -c "/temp/scripts/temp_script $x" > /dev/null 2>$1 $ done I was expecting the tem_script to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing parameters

Hi:- I need to parse a script 3 parameters (file, subject and email address). This is what I currently have: allargs=$* argcount=`echo $allargs | awk -F: '{ print NF }' ` # Total Number of arguments pdffile=`echo $allargs | awk -F: '{ print $1 }' ` # PDF/binary file to be encoded... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: janet
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can I safely kill vdump?

Sceduled backups with vdump have been delayed as a mounted system had crashed while I was away for 2 weeks. Now there are 5 simultaneous vdumps running very slowly. The full system backup usually takes a whole weekend. Can I safely kill these? (I will have to live without a backup untill next... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickt
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parsing job script input parameters

I have a job script that runs with input parms from the command line. job.sh -p parm1_parm2_parm3_parm4_file_1.dat The parms are separated by _ The last parm is a file name and can have an _ in the name. I currently use the following commands to extract the parms parm1=`eval echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to safely rm/mv files/directory

Hi all, Am writing a script that does a rm/mv if a file exist, however, in one scenario, one of the variables which is supposed to a variable for a directory is undefined/blank so instead of the variable resolving to /tmp/logfile.dmp, it resolves instead to / so the rm translates to a rm /... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

6. Programming

Value changed when parsing parameters

I get a strange problem here, and ask for help. (gdb) 28 set_file_bit( file, bytePos, bitPos, argv ); (gdb) p argv $3 = 0xbfffef5c "00" (gdb) s set_file_bit (file=0x804b008, bytePos=2, bitPos=2, binary=0x80490e5 "11") at util/file.c:112 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to remove soft link safely

Greetings, I need some help performing a system admin function that I have been tasked with. The request seems simple enough, but my feeling is that it might be more complicated than it seems. Here is what i've been tasked with: SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
3 Replies

8. Solaris

need to safely reboot to cdrom

I am using: reboot -- cdrom However I'm afraid of causing file system errors/corruption. I've seen many threads say that init 6 is safer, but I need to get to CDROM. Is there a command that is as safe as init, but can boot to cdrom, or should I not worry so much about the reboot... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcoreyl
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Can all files under /tmp be safely removed

I wanted to know whether all files under /tmp can be safely removed. I guess that /tmp may also have temporary files for applications currently being worked on, so at the most those applications may just shut down. I hope that my question is clear whether all files under /tmp can be safely... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
5 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)