Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding Color to bash
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Adding Color to bash Post 302403105 by ASGR on Thursday 11th of March 2010 11:56:23 AM
Old 03-11-2010
Hey guys,

This works...

Code:
#!/bin/bash
if [ $clr="r" ]; then 
    echo -e '\E[1;31m'
    fi

Notes:
Removed surrounding spaces around the '=' (doesn't like extra spaces)
Removed extra space after closing square bracket (not major)
Changed escape character at beginning of string to '\E' (can't remember the difference)
Used single quotes for the string (apparently recommended but optional)
Added 'fi' to terminate the 'if' command (compulsory)

A.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get rid of all the weird characters and color on bash shell

Does anyone of you know how to turn off color and weird characters on bash shell when using the command "script"? Everytime users on my server used that command to record their script, they either couldn't print it because lp kept giving the "unknown format character" messages or the print paper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: color strings in log file

hello im looking for an easy way to color specific strings in text file. simple example: cat file1 acb 1234 qwer 5678 my goal: cat file1 (color the acb red and the 5678 blue) acb 1234 qwer 5678 cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modcan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - changing a color of a substring

Hello! I need to write a bash script for my university classes, and I came up with an idea of a program that would test the speed of typing - there is some random text that you have to rewrite, and the script measures time, number of mistakes etc. The text would be visible on the screen all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

color in bash

I have some tcsh scripts that produce output in color, but does not work in bash. Any idea on a solution? echo " \033 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Color using More

Daily Stupid Question: When I use a cat with a grep I can see "blind SQL injection vulnerablity" highlighted as red and is easily readable cat file |grep -i 'blind\ SQL\ injection\ vulnerability' When I add a more to view the results page at a time, the color is taken away and is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk adding color

I want to know if there is any way to highlight search results using GAWK. So for example: gawk '{IGNORECASE=1;} /^<a/&&/\$/' index.html <a class=author href="http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=10&amp;amp;catAbb=sss&amp;amp;query=ps vita" title="craigslist washington, DC | all for sale... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)