Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Understanding a Shell Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding a Shell Script Post 302402999 by angshuman_ag on Thursday 11th of March 2010 05:09:37 AM
Old 03-11-2010
Hi amit,
What does this mean
fixpart="/etc/usr/transfer_script # transferring to a system"

There is a "#" before a string and the entire file path and the string are in a quote.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on understanding the Shell and AWK scripts

Hello Friends, I am new to the scripting & have to analyze bunch of regular production scripts. It has .ksh which calls on the .awk script having many functions I need to understand and debug the scripts ASAP Can anybody please let me know as how can I debug, I want to see the flow of code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amberj123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a Simple Shell Script

#! /usr/bin/ksh old=$1 new=$2 for file in *.$old ; do mv $file ${file%$old}$new done exit 0 This script i got from the forum. script changes the extension of the files say example a.txt to a.doc b.txt to b.doc c.txt to c.doc d.txt to d.doc this scipt works fine but i am not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijays3
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a better understanding of shell scripts

Need a better understanding of shell scripts (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshkumar4737
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding this script.

Can someone explain what is happening line by line in this script, particularly after the do statement. The script works, it renames all the files in my directory that has a date in the file name. But I would like to know more about it. #!/bin/bash newdate=12-10-1995 for file in *--* do ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script behavior is strange or I'm not understanding

Hi I have wrote the small script, where $SRC=$HOME the input file is simple text file having directories in my $SRC on pre line desktop download myfiles games #!/bin/bash FILENAME=$1 ERROR_LOG="$SRC/err.$$.log" while read line do echo "########## strat Gmake $line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: the.reverser
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with the shell script for understanding

Can Anybody please tell me the meaning of the script: #!/bin/sh str=$@ echo $str | sed 's/.*\\//' exit 0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding Shell Scripting

Hi Gurus, Im new to Shell scripting. I have a shell script which basically sends an email when called thorugh my ETL tool. Wanted to understand the its functionality in detail. Would be great it any one can explain what exactly the commands to #!/bin/sh # Dummy UUCP rmail command for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble understanding shell scripting (mostly wsname)

Am still learning Scripting and I come across a build command that I don't really understand if /local/bin/wsname 2>/dev/null; then base="`/local/bin/wsname`" export base fi if ; then /local/bin/wsname exit 1 fi WSNAME="$base"/ can some one in light me to what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Wpgn
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding the script

Could someone please help me in understanding the code below: #!/usr/bin/ksh Month=`date|cut -c5-7` Day=`date|cut -c9-10` Year=`date|cut -c27-28` Rom2Jul() { case $Month in Feb) Day=$(( $Day+31 ));; Mar) Day=$((... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasn318
27 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shall script use and understanding

Below script is called as Reducer, I am not sure how it work, can some expert explain me what this script does as i am a beginner. inputfile: hi hi how are are you code: #!/bin/bash lastkey=""; -- what does this mean, because i saw in debug mode it is taking value as hi count=0;... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
13 Replies
Test::Script::Run(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Test::Script::Run(3pm)

NAME
Test::Script::Run - test the script with run SYNOPSIS
use Test::Script::Run; # customized names of bin dirs, default is qw/bin sbin script ./; @Test::Script::Run::BIN_DIRS = qw/bin/; run_ok( 'app_name', [ app's args ], 'you_app runs ok' ); my ( $return, $stdout, $stderr ) = run_script( 'app_name', [ app's args ] ); run_output_matches( 'app_name', [app's args], [ 'out line 1', 'out line 2' ], [ 'err line 1', 'err line 2' ], 'run_output_matches' ); run_output_matches_unordered( 'app_name', [ app's args ], [ 'out line 2', 'out line 1' ], [ 'err line 2', 'err line 1' ], 'run_output_matches_unordered' ); DESCRIPTION
This module exports some subs to help test and run scripts in your dist's bin/ directory, if the script path is not absolute. Nearly all the essential code is stolen from Prophet::Test, we think subs like those should live below "Test::" namespace, that's why we packed them and created this module. FUNCTIONS
run_script($script, $args, $stdout, $stderr) Runs the script $script as a perl script, setting the @INC to the same as our caller. $script is the name of the script to be run (such as 'prophet'). $args is a reference to an array of arguments to pass to the script. $stdout and $stderr are both optional; if passed in, they will be passed to IPC::Run3's run3 subroutineA as its $stdout and $stderr args. Otherwise, this subroutine will create scalar references to pass to run3 instead (which are treated as strings for STDOUT/STDERR to be written to). Returns run3's return value and, if no $stdout and $stderr were passed in, the STDOUT and STDERR of the script that was run. run_ok($script, $args, $msg) Runs the script, checking that it didn't error out. $script is the name of the script to be run (e.g. 'prophet'). $args is an optional reference to an array of arguments to pass to the script when it is run. $msg is an optional message to print with the test. If $args is not specified, you can still pass in a $msg. Returns nothing of interest. run_not_ok($script, $args, $msg) opposite of run_ok get_perl_cmd($script, @ARGS) Returns a list suitable for passing to "system", "exec", etc. If you pass $script then we will search upwards for it in @BIN_DIRS is_script_output($scriptname @args, @stdout_match, @stderr_match, $msg) Runs $scriptname, checking to see that its output matches. $args is an array reference of args to pass to the script. $stdout_match and $stderr_match are references to arrays of expected lines. $msg is a string message to display with the test. $stderr_match and $msg are optional. (As is $stdout_match if for some reason you expect your script to have no output at all. But that would be silly, wouldn't it?) Allows regex matches as well as string equality (lines in $stdout_match and $stderr_match may be Regexp objects). run_output_matches($script, $args, $exp_stdout, $exp_stderr, $msg) A wrapper around is_script_output that also checks to make sure the test runs without throwing an exception. run_output_matches_unordered($script, $args, $exp_stdout, $exp_stderr, $msg) This subroutine has exactly the same functionality as run_output_matches, but doesn't impose a line ordering when comparing the expected and received outputs. last_script_stdout return last script's stdout last_script_stderr return last script's stderr last_script_exit_code return last script's exit code DEPENDENCIES
Test::More, Test::Exception, IPC::Run3, File::Basename, File::Spec BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
No bugs have been reported. AUTHOR
sunnavy "<sunnavy@bestpractical.com>" LICENCE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2009 Best Practical Solutions. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2011-01-07 Test::Script::Run(3pm)