Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Understanding a Shell Script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding a Shell Script Post 302402995 by angshuman_ag on Thursday 11th of March 2010 04:56:09 AM
Old 03-11-2010
Understanding a Shell Script

Hi Guys,
I am absolutely a newbie to Solaris 8.0. Following is a piece of code in a script (/bin/sh). Can anybody help me in deciphering this ? Please see my questions after the script code -

Code:
/bin/rm -f mycron
crontab -l | grep -v "transferring to a system" | grep -v "Auto deletion of transmitted objects" | grep -v "Dealing with not importable" > mycron

fixpart="/etc/usr/transfer_script  # transferring to a system"
  echo "Specify the frequency in minutes - "
  echo "every 1, 2, 3, or 5 minutes (default every 1 minute) "
  echo  $nn "Frequency [1|2|3|5] ? [1]:" $cc
  read ans
  case $ans in
    2) echo "1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23,25,27,29,31,33,35,37,39,41,43,45,47,49,51,53,55,57,59 * * * *" $fixpart >> mycron
       break ;;
    3) echo "1,4,7,10,13,16,19,22,25,28,31,34,37,40,43,46,49,52,55,58 * * * *" $fixpart >> mycron
       break ;;
    5) echo "1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56 * * * *" $fixpart >> mycron
       break ;;
    *) echo "* * * * *" $fixpart >> mycron;;
  esac

1. The crontab part above ?? Smilie
2. What does this mean fixpart="/etc/usr/transfer_script # Auto ...."
3. What is the significance of the variable $fixpart. I did not understand the usage.
Smilie

Basically, can someone explain me this script ?

Thx in advance !

Last edited by pludi; 03-11-2010 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on understanding the Shell and AWK scripts

Hello Friends, I am new to the scripting & have to analyze bunch of regular production scripts. It has .ksh which calls on the .awk script having many functions I need to understand and debug the scripts ASAP Can anybody please let me know as how can I debug, I want to see the flow of code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amberj123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a Simple Shell Script

#! /usr/bin/ksh old=$1 new=$2 for file in *.$old ; do mv $file ${file%$old}$new done exit 0 This script i got from the forum. script changes the extension of the files say example a.txt to a.doc b.txt to b.doc c.txt to c.doc d.txt to d.doc this scipt works fine but i am not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijays3
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a better understanding of shell scripts

Need a better understanding of shell scripts (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshkumar4737
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding this script.

Can someone explain what is happening line by line in this script, particularly after the do statement. The script works, it renames all the files in my directory that has a date in the file name. But I would like to know more about it. #!/bin/bash newdate=12-10-1995 for file in *--* do ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script behavior is strange or I'm not understanding

Hi I have wrote the small script, where $SRC=$HOME the input file is simple text file having directories in my $SRC on pre line desktop download myfiles games #!/bin/bash FILENAME=$1 ERROR_LOG="$SRC/err.$$.log" while read line do echo "########## strat Gmake $line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: the.reverser
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with the shell script for understanding

Can Anybody please tell me the meaning of the script: #!/bin/sh str=$@ echo $str | sed 's/.*\\//' exit 0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding Shell Scripting

Hi Gurus, Im new to Shell scripting. I have a shell script which basically sends an email when called thorugh my ETL tool. Wanted to understand the its functionality in detail. Would be great it any one can explain what exactly the commands to #!/bin/sh # Dummy UUCP rmail command for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble understanding shell scripting (mostly wsname)

Am still learning Scripting and I come across a build command that I don't really understand if /local/bin/wsname 2>/dev/null; then base="`/local/bin/wsname`" export base fi if ; then /local/bin/wsname exit 1 fi WSNAME="$base"/ can some one in light me to what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Wpgn
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding the script

Could someone please help me in understanding the code below: #!/usr/bin/ksh Month=`date|cut -c5-7` Day=`date|cut -c9-10` Year=`date|cut -c27-28` Rom2Jul() { case $Month in Feb) Day=$(( $Day+31 ));; Mar) Day=$((... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasn318
27 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shall script use and understanding

Below script is called as Reducer, I am not sure how it work, can some expert explain me what this script does as i am a beginner. inputfile: hi hi how are are you code: #!/bin/bash lastkey=""; -- what does this mean, because i saw in debug mode it is taking value as hi count=0;... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
13 Replies
Locale::Script(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Locale::Script(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. The ones currently supported are: alpha This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA". The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. numeric This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC". ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Script(3perl)