Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh help assigning specific values to variable in script Post 302402934 by fpmurphy on Thursday 11th of March 2010 01:54:46 AM
Old 03-11-2010
If you want to avoid the penalty of calling an external utility such as sed, you can do what you want to do entirely within your shell.
Code:
#!/bin/ksh93

n=0
output=""

while read line
do
   output="$output$line"
   if (( n%2 == 0 )); then
      output="$output="
   else
      output="$output "
   fi
   (( n++ ))
   if (( n == 6 )); then
     echo "$output"
     output=""
     n=0
   fi
done < file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning values to a variable

i try to get the year and month values using the below shell script when i enter the script like this #!/usr/bin/ksh dd=`DATE +%Y%M` echo $dd it is showing the error as shown below abc.ksh: DATE: not found any suggestions please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem assigning values to variable

Date of Request: 20080514 10:37 Submitted By: JPCHIANG i want to get the value "JPCHIANG" only in read a file, however, when i do this: name=`"$line"|cut -d " " -f8` it display all the line and append 'not found' at the end of the statement the $line is actually a variable in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning multiple values to a variable

Hi Guru`s, I have to write a prog. which will traverse through diff. directories and then extract some data from files. I have written it and its working fine. But I have tested it in 1 folder. There are many folders and I need to loop through each of them. I am not sure abt the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values to reference variables for a dynamic menu driven script.

How do I assign values to reference variables? I am assigning a variable name to --> $user_var Then I am trying to change its underlying variable value by $((user_var))=$user_value .. its failing,, Please let me know if there is a way to do this dynamically.. FileA.props... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a set of values to a variable

I wnat to assign a set of values to a variable and use it in if condition. for example: i=$1 d=1 2 3 4 5 6 if then echo "Fine" else echo "Check" fi i will either of the value in d, i.e. i can be 1 or 2 or any value in d, How this can be done? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with assigning multiple values to a variable

I have a situation where my variable needs to pick up any of the 4 values from the environment it is in for e.g i am on server named a server=a (script running on this server) ftp servers= b c d e ----- the parameter passed should be any of these values in these 4 values, if not throw an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Assigning a value to a variable name then running a loop on these values

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could assist me for (what is probably) a very straightforward answer. I have input files containing something like File 1 Apples Apples Apples Apples File 2 Bananas Bananas Bananas Bananas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hubleo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning numeric values to variable

I have a code like this v_num=9 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" I am getting an error ksh: v_num=99 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Column Values to ARRAY in ksh

Hi , i have file which is having two fields in it (#delimited) ABC#FILE_01.DAT DEF#FILE_02.DAT i want to write first field values to one array example A_01 and second field values to B_02 array please let me know how to do this ,my final requirement i have send out a mail for each record... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkabc789
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning multiple variables in ksh script

Is it possible to have a user input multiple words in one line and have the script assign each word a variable? I'm stuck please assist. Example using "BILL JOHN SARA JILL" as what the user could type: printf "Enter account names: " BILL JOHN SARA JILL read input (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
9 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)