Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Send Foreground job to background redirecting output Post 302402880 by dennis.jacob on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 11:15:24 PM
Old 03-11-2010
Just a small thought...

Assume a process(test.sh) is running with a pid xxx

If we give the SIGSTP signal, say
Code:
kill -17 xxx

, it will signal the process

Code:
[1] + Stopped (SIGSTOP)        sh test.sh

now, why cant we give bg which will change it to running in bg?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems with ctrl-z, to switch foreground, background

my shell is /sbin/sh. i added stty susp '^Z' with the intention of being able to switch between foreground and background. but the result was strange. i had 2 servers. one is sun the os is 8 and the other is hpux v11. both of them had the same shell. but on hpux, it works perfectly fine while... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set background/foreground color in .profile

I am using a telnet session (VT100) and need to modify my .profile so that it will set the color of the telnet session. I am not using Xterm (ie: can't use .Xdefaults). I am able to change the colors via menu's but need to preset in .profile. Is this possible??? Can't find anything at all on how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvella
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get background job to foreground

hi, i am just wondering that wen we give the following code we make a process run in background...can the viceversa be performed?i.e can this be made foreground again # sleep 75& 21751 # (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandilya
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background and Foreground of a process within a script

I'm not sure if it is even possible but I figured if it was someone here would know how to do it... I am running a script which starts a bunch of processes in the background but there is one process I would like to bring back to the foreground when complete. Unfortunately the process that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctruhn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is the diff b/w background and foreground process

What are all the difference between a Background and Foreground processes ?! A Background process does not have access to STDIN and OUT.. What else ? Is there any detailed description available somewhere ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onequestion
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can put a background process to the foreground

Hi, guys: I am working on my own shell using c. When I put a process into the background, how can I put it back to the foreground using tcsetpgrp? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomlee
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move shell script from foreground to background

Hi, Need an urgent help. I have a program executing in foreground. I need to execute it in background and also to remove terminal dependency. Thanks In advance. 116@434 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 116@434
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the output of a background job

Hello, I unfortunately have a process that does two things, it returns an answer to me and then does a bunch of work that I would like to wait on. Here is a simple example: #!/bin/bash function p_w { echo "poopy" sleep 10 echo "scoop" } foo=$(p_w &) sleep 1 echo "1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send job to Background after input redirection

Hi, I am having issues with syntax when I am trying to send a job to the background after a input redirection. I have this script which sends some files to different servers after zipping them. Once I execute it, it will ask for user input as of which server the files need to go to. (The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)