Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Send Foreground job to background redirecting output Post 302402840 by Corona688 on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 07:15:55 PM
Old 03-10-2010
The shell does redirection before it creates a process, not after, so you're out of luck there. You can't redirect a running process unless you're using something like screen which uses socket or tty tricks to do so.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems with ctrl-z, to switch foreground, background

my shell is /sbin/sh. i added stty susp '^Z' with the intention of being able to switch between foreground and background. but the result was strange. i had 2 servers. one is sun the os is 8 and the other is hpux v11. both of them had the same shell. but on hpux, it works perfectly fine while... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set background/foreground color in .profile

I am using a telnet session (VT100) and need to modify my .profile so that it will set the color of the telnet session. I am not using Xterm (ie: can't use .Xdefaults). I am able to change the colors via menu's but need to preset in .profile. Is this possible??? Can't find anything at all on how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvella
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get background job to foreground

hi, i am just wondering that wen we give the following code we make a process run in background...can the viceversa be performed?i.e can this be made foreground again # sleep 75& 21751 # (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandilya
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background and Foreground of a process within a script

I'm not sure if it is even possible but I figured if it was someone here would know how to do it... I am running a script which starts a bunch of processes in the background but there is one process I would like to bring back to the foreground when complete. Unfortunately the process that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctruhn
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what is the diff b/w background and foreground process

What are all the difference between a Background and Foreground processes ?! A Background process does not have access to STDIN and OUT.. What else ? Is there any detailed description available somewhere ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onequestion
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can put a background process to the foreground

Hi, guys: I am working on my own shell using c. When I put a process into the background, how can I put it back to the foreground using tcsetpgrp? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomlee
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move shell script from foreground to background

Hi, Need an urgent help. I have a program executing in foreground. I need to execute it in background and also to remove terminal dependency. Thanks In advance. 116@434 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 116@434
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the output of a background job

Hello, I unfortunately have a process that does two things, it returns an answer to me and then does a bunch of work that I would like to wait on. Here is a simple example: #!/bin/bash function p_w { echo "poopy" sleep 10 echo "scoop" } foo=$(p_w &) sleep 1 echo "1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send job to Background after input redirection

Hi, I am having issues with syntax when I am trying to send a job to the background after a input redirection. I have this script which sends some files to different servers after zipping them. Once I execute it, it will ask for user input as of which server the files need to go to. (The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies
dtach(1)						      General Commands Manual							  dtach(1)

NAME
dtach - simple program that emulates the detach feature of screen. SYNOPSIS
dtach -a <socket> <options> dtach -A <socket> <options> <command...> dtach -c <socket> <options> <command...> dtach -n <socket> <options> <command...> DESCRIPTION
dtach is a program that emulates the detach feature of screen. It is designed to be transparent and un-intrusive; it avoids interpreting the input and output between attached terminals and the program under its control. Consequently, it works best with full-screen applica- tions such as emacs. dtach is intended for users who want the detach feature of screen without the other overhead of screen. It is tiny, does not use many libraries, and stays out of the way as much as possible. SESSIONS A session in dtach is a single instance in which a program is running under the control of dtach. The program is disassociated from the original terminal, and is thus protected from your original terminal being disconnected for some reason. Other instances of dtach can attach themselves to a particular session. Input and output is copied between the program running in the dtach session, and the attached terminals. dtach avoids interpreting the communication stream between the program and the attached terminals; it instead relies on the ability of the attached terminals to manage the screen. Sessions are represented by Unix-domain sockets in the filesystem. No other permission checking other than the filesystem access checks is performed. dtach creates a master process that monitors the session socket, the program, and any attached terminals. MODES dtach has several modes of operation. It can create a new session in which a program is executed, or it can attach to an existing session. The first argument specifies which mode dtach should operate in. -a Attach to an existing session. dtach attaches itself to the session specified by <socket>. After the attach is completed, the win- dow size of the current terminal is sent to the master process, and a redraw is also requested. -A Attach to an existing session, or create a new one. dtach first tries to attach to the session specified by <socket> if possible. If the attempt to open the socket fails, dtach tries to create a new session before attaching to it. -c Creates a new session. A new session is created in which the specified program is executed. dtach then tries to attach itself to the newly created session. -n Creates a new session, without attaching to it. A new session is created in which the specified program is executed. dtach does not try to attach to the newly created session, however, and exits instead. OPTIONS dtach has a few options that allow you to modify its behavior. Each attaching process can have separate settings for these options, which allows for some flexibility. -e <char> Sets the detach character to <char>. When the detach character is pressed, dtach detaches itself from the current session and exits. The process running in the session is unaffected by the detach. By default, the detach character is set to ^ (Ctrl-). -E Disables the detach character. dtach does not try to scan input from the terminal for a detach character. The only way to detach from the session is then by sending the attaching process an appropriate signal. -r <method> Sets the redraw method to <method>. The valid methods are none, ctrl_l, or winch. none disables redrawing completely, ctrl_l sends a Ctrl L character to the program if the terminal is in character-at-a-time and no- echo mode, and winch forces a WINCH signal to be sent to the program. When creating a new session, the specified method is used as the default redraw method for the session. If not specified, the ctrl_l method is used. -z Disables processing of the suspend key. Normally, dtach will suspend itself when the suspend key is pressed. With this option, the suspend character is sent to the session instead of being handled by dtach. EXAMPLES
The following example creates a new session that has the detach character and suspend processing disabled. A socket is created in the /tmp directory for the session. $ dtach -c /tmp/foozle -Ez bash The following example attaches to the /tmp/foozle session if it exists, and if not, creates a new session using /tmp/foozle as the socket for the session. Processing of the suspend character is also disabled for the attach instance. $ dtach -A /tmp/foozle -z bash The following example attaches to the /tmp/foozle session, using the winch redraw method to redraw the screen. $ dtach -a /tmp/foozle -r winch The following example creates a new session and sets the default redraw method for the session to the winch redraw method. $ dtach -c /tmp/foozle -r winch bash AUTHOR
Ned T. Crigler <crigler@users.sourceforge.net>. SEE ALSO
screen(1) dtach 0.8 Jan 2008 dtach(1)