Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Controlling a child's stdin/stdout (not working with scp) Post 302402835 by Corona688 on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 07:01:43 PM
Old 03-10-2010
Yes, it does, and no, it won't let you, and that's for a reason -- stored passwords are not only inherently dangerous but completely unnecessary. Use shared keys, that's what they're there for. There's instructions for them plastered all over the internet and you can use them in ways that obey the spirit and letter of that rule -- give the shared key a password and use ssh-agent. That way you need to type the password once, to get the key, after which you can use the key to login automatically until your ssh-agent session finishes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Controlling child processes

Hello all, I am trying to create n child processes and control them from a parent process; say make child 3 print its pid and then child 5 do the same and some other stuff. Is there a way to accomplishing this after all the child processes are created via a call to fork(). Thank you, FG (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumGuy
23 Replies

2. Programming

C++ How to use pipe() & fork() with stdin and stdout to another program

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
2 Replies

3. Programming

stdout/stdin + flushing buffers

Hi all I've run into a snag in a program of mine where part of what I entered in at the start of run-time, instead of the current value within printf() is being printed out. After failing with fflush() and setbuf(), I tried the following approach void BufferFlusher() { int in=0;... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't close stdin/stdout in shell

#!/bin/sh exec 0</dev/null exec 1>/dev/null ls -l /proc/self/fd >&2 produces total 0 lr-x------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 0 -> /proc/7886/fd lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 1 -> /dev/pts/4 lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 2 -> /dev/pts/4 I've verified the shell is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin/stdout to/from command from/to string

Hi, I am working on a project where I have to generate and execute nasm code on-the-fly. I generate the code in a file program.asm and then execute it.This output is to stdout which i redirect to an output file which i read back to compare results: system("nasm -f elf program.asm >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: doc_cypher
5 Replies

7. Programming

read and write stdin/stdout in unix

Hi, i am using the below program to read from the standard input or to write to standard out put. i know that using highlevel functions this can be done better than what i have done here. i just want to know is there any other method by which i find the exact number of characters ( this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrUser
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDIN and STDOUT

Hallo, i have a script like: if ;then echo "OK" else echo "ERROR $2 is missing" fi; if ;then touch $2 fi; if ;then cat $1 | grep xy > $2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eightball
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Controlling the Number of Child processes

I am trying to implement the below using Ksh script on a Lx machine. There is a file(input_file) with 100K records. For each of these records, certain script(process_rec) needs to be called with the record as input. Sequential processing is time-consuming and parallel processing would eat up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: APT_3009
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[stdin / stdout] Strategies for redirecting outputs

Well.. let's say i need to write a pretty simple script. In my script i have 2 variables which can have value of 0 or 1. $VERBOSE $LOG I need to implement these cases: ($VERBOSE = 0 && $LOG = 0) => ONLY ERROR output (STDERR to console && STDOUT to /dev/null) ($VERBOSE = 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marmz
5 Replies
FORK(2) 							System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - create a new process SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> pid_t fork(void) DESCRIPTION
Fork causes creation of a new process. The new process (child process) is an exact copy of the calling process except for the following: The child process has a unique process ID. The child process has a different parent process ID (i.e., the process ID of the parent process). The child process has its own copy of the parent's descriptors. These descriptors reference the same underlying objects, so that, for instance, file pointers in file objects are shared between the child and the parent, so that an lseek(2) on a descriptor in the child process can affect a subsequent read or write by the parent. This descriptor copying is also used by the shell to establish standard input and output for newly created processes as well as to set up pipes. The child starts with no pending signals and an inactive alarm timer. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, fork returns a value of 0 to the child process and returns the process ID of the child process to the parent process. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned to the parent process, no child process is created, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Fork will fail and no child process will be created if one or more of the following are true: [EAGAIN] The system-imposed limit on the total number of processes under execution would be exceeded. This limit is configuration- dependent. (The kernel variable NR_PROCS in <minix/config.h> (Minix), or <minix/const.h> (Minix-vmd).) [ENOMEM] There is insufficient (virtual) memory for the new process. SEE ALSO
execve(2), wait(2). 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 22, 1986 FORK(2)