Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get the username if I know only the user's UID? Post 302402799 by jgt on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 04:59:43 PM
Old 03-10-2010
The grep solutions could return multiple answers.
If there is a user with uid 123 and another user with uid 1123.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

User ID (UID) in AIX

what is the upper limit for UID is AIX 5.3 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX:creating user with username more than 8 chars

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuafs84
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

NIS User UID Change

Hi All, I need to change the UID numbers of many NIS users, is there any command to modify the UID in NIS maps ? ( like usermod) so that their file permissions will be same even with their new UID. If not, how to check all the files owned by particular user in a computer and change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAA
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt over Uid and User name.

Hi, I know the uid and I wan to know the user name the uid belongs to. How can I get it. Suppose My user name is ssnayak and coresponding uid is 1110 Similarly I know one uid 1212 and how can I come to know the user name for this uid. Thanks & Regards, Siba (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get username of last user to modify a file

Possible to get this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user if UID not exist; else, exit the script

Hi, I want to write a script to check whether an user ID is used in my server and then create that user. If the user ID is not used, I will echo something like "OK, continue" and then continue to execute the script. Else, I will echo something like "Used, exit" and then exit the script. As... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UID of user accounts on *nix systems

Hi, As the /etc/passwd file contents all system and other users accounts on a linux/unix system, can anyone tell me what is the User ID values range for human user accounts (not system user accounts) on a linux (Red Hat/SuSE etc) and Unix (Solaris) OS. I heard below number 100, all users are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps - list where UID is numeric or name and for current user

Hi, 'ps -ef' returns output of the following format UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 17573 1 0 Sep12 tty6 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6 hpsmh 18150 14864 0 Sep12 ? 00:00:00 /opt/hp/hpsmh/sbin/hpsmhd -DSSL -f /opt/hp/hpsmh/conf/smhpd.conf root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
3 Replies

9. AIX

UID & GID instead of user name and group name

Hi Everyone, We are encountering the following issue on AIX 5.3. When we do ls -ltr the list displays only user id and group id instead of user name and group name. This is happening for all users except root. Whe we do ls -ltr with root user it shows perfectly fine. When we searched... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
25 Replies
getauth(8)						      System Manager's Manual							getauth(8)

Name
       getauth, setauth, rmauth - auth database maintenance

Syntax
       getauth [username]

setauth

rmauth username

Description
       The  command  takes as it's only argument a user name or UID.  If a user name is supplied it is converted to a UID by searching through The
       UID is then used to look up the users entry in the database.  If an entry is found it is converted to an ASCII string with a syntax  resem-
       bling  that  of	the  passwd  file  and printed out as a single line.  If no entry is found nothing is printed and an exit status of `1' is
       returned.
       # getauth username
       1000:idvidfy8d:1920129:3600:2678400:0e:0:1000:0:00:00
       The first field is the UID of the entry which is used as the key into the database.  Then follows: the encrypted password, password modifi-
       cation  time, minimum password lifetime, maximum password lifetime, account mask, login failure count, audit ID, audit control, audit mask,
       and a reserved field.

If the optional username argument is not supplied to getauth it will produce an output line for every entry in the auth database.

The command expects one or more lines from the standard input which must be of a form identical to that produced by the command.  The  com-
       mand  converts  and  stores  these lines into the database, one entry per line, replacing any entry already existing for the given UID.	By
       piping the output of the command into the input of the command an expensive NOP can be produced:
       # /usr/etc/sec/getauth | /usr/etc/sec/setauth

The command expects exactly one argument, the user name or UID of an auth entry to be deleted.  If the entry is	found  it  is  erased  and
       deleted.  If it is not found no action is taken and an exit status of 1 is returned.

Restrictions
       Only the superuser and members of the group may read information from the auth database.  Only the superuser may modify the auth database.

Diagnostics
       An  exit  value of 0 indicates a successful operation. An exit status of 1 indicates the entry was not found on a lookup or deletion opera-
       tion.  Any other exit status indicates an error.

Files
See Also
       getauthuid(3), getpwent(3), auth(5), edauth(8)
       Security Guide for Administrators

getauth(8)