Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge lines from one file if pattern matches Post 302402786 by giannicello on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 04:22:38 PM
Old 03-10-2010
Cool. I tried it and it seems to work fine except for the first space then ':' but it gives me what I need:

Quote:
TEST2,000B,80,,A, :_GHI_:_JKL_
TEST1,000A,20,1,, :_ABC_:_DEF_:_GHI_
Thank you!
Gianni

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to select lines in unix matches a pattern at a particular position

I have huge file. I want to copy the lines which have first character as 2 or 7, and also which has fist two characters as 90. I need only these records from file. How I can acheive this. Can somebody help me..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs_banda
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying lines of a file where the second field matches a pattern

Howdy. I know this is most likely possible using sed or awk or grep, most likely a combination of them together, but how would one go about running a grep like command on a file where you only try to match your pattern to the second field in a line, space delimited? Example: You are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines in text file based on pattern

Hello, I have searched forum trying to find a solution to my problem, but could not find anything or I did not understand the examples.... I should say, I am very inexperienced with text processing. I have a text file with approx 60k lines in it. I need to merge lines based on the number... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertik
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge same pattern lines together

Hi people... I normally find with out any problem the solutions I need just by searching. But for this I'm not having any joy or jsut failing to adapt what I'ev found to work. I have applciation report that doesn't allow for manipulation at creation so I want to do some post modifcation... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge lines if pattern matches in ksh

I have a file like this. Pls help me to solve this . (I should look for only Message : 111 and need to print the start time to end time Need to ignore other type of messages. Ex: if first message is 111 and second message is 000 or anything else then ignore the 2nd one and print start time of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnjx
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK to remove lines that matches a specific pattern

Hi, I have requirement that I need to split my input file into two files based on a search pattern "abc" For eg. my input file has below content abc defgh zyx I need file 1 with abc and file2 with defgh zyx I can use grep command to acheive this. But with grep I need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbhuvana20
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to delete lines from a txt file if pattern matches

File 6 dbnawldb010-b office Memphis_Corp_SQL_Diff Memphis-Corp-SQL-Inc-Application-Backup 03/09/11 03:24:04 42 luigi-b IPNRemitDB Memphis_Corp_SQL_Diff Memphis-Corp-SQL-Inc-Application-Backup 03/10/11 00:41:36 6 ebs-sqldev1-b IPNTracking Memphis_Corp_SQL_Diff... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merge lines within a file that start with a similar pattern

Hello! i have a text file.. which contains the data as follows i want to merge the declarations lines pertaining to one datatype in to a single line as follows i've searched the forum for help.. but couldn't find much help.. how can i do this?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a_ba
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to merge lines based on pattern

Hi, I have a requirement to merge multiple lines based on search pattern. The search criteria is : it will search for CONSTRAINT and when it found CONSTRAINT, it will merge all lines to 1 line till it founds blank line. For Example: CREATE TABLE "AMS_DISTRIBUTOR_XREF" ( "SOURCE"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

find pattern matches in consecutive lines in certain fields-awk

I have a text file with many thousands of lines, a small sample of which looks like this: InputFile:PS002,003 D -1 5 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 6 6 -1 -1 -1 -1 0 509 0 PS002,003 PSQ 0 1 7 18 1 0 -1 1 1 3 -1 -1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies
FILTERDIFF(1)							     Man pages							     FILTERDIFF(1)

NAME
filterdiff - extract or exclude diffs from a diff file SYNOPSIS
filterdiff [[-i PATTERN] | [--include=PATTERN]] [[-I FILE] | [--include-from-file=FILE]] [[-p n] | [--strip-match=n]] [--strip=n] [--addprefix=PREFIX] [--addoldprefix=PREFIX] [--addnewprefix=PREFIX] [[-x PATTERN] | [--exclude=PATTERN]] [[-X FILE] | [--exclude-from-file=FILE]] [[-v] | [--verbose]] [--clean] [[-z] | [--decompress]] [[-# RANGE] | [--hunks=RANGE]] [--lines=RANGE] [--files=RANGE] [--annotate] [--format=FORMAT] [--as-numbered-lines=WHEN] [--remove-timestamps] [file...] filterdiff {[--help] | [--version] | [--list] | [--grep ...]} DESCRIPTION
You can use filterdiff to obtain a patch that applies to files matching the shell wildcard PATTERN from a larger collection of patches. For example, to see the patches in patch-2.4.3.gz that apply to all files called lp.c: filterdiff -z -i '*/lp.c' patch-2.4.3.gz If neither -i nor -x options are given, -i '*' is assumed. This way filterdiff can be used to clean up an existing diff file, removing redundant lines from the beginning (eg. the text from the mail body) or between the chunks (eg. in CVS diffs). To extract pure patch data, use a command like this: filterdiff message-with-diff-in-the-body > patch Note that the interpretation of the shell wildcard pattern does not count slash characters or periods as special (in other words, no flags are given to fnmatch). This is so that "*/basename"-type patterns can be given without limiting the number of pathname components. You can use both unified and context format diffs with this program. OPTIONS
-i PATTERN, --include=PATTERN Include only files matching PATTERN. All other lines in the input are suppressed. -I FILE, --include-from-file=FILE Include only files matching any pattern listed in FILE, one pattern per line. All other lines in the input are suppressed. -x PATTERN, --exclude=PATTERN Exclude files matching PATTERN. All other lines in the input are displayed. -X FILE, --exclude-from-file=FILE Exclude files matching any pattern listed in FILE, one pattern per line. All other lines in the input are displayed. -p n, --strip-match=n When matching, ignore the first n components of the pathname. -# RANGE, --hunks=RANGE Only include hunks within the specified RANGE. Hunks are numbered from 1, and the range is a comma-separated list of numbers or "first-last" spans; either the first or the last in the span may be omitted to indicate no limit in that direction. --lines=RANGE Only include hunks that contain lines from the original file that lie within the specified RANGE. Lines are numbered from 1, and the range is a comma-separated list of numbers or "first-last" spans; either the first or the last in the span may be omitted to indicate no limit in that direction. --files=RANGE Only include files indicated by the specified RANGE. Files are numbered from 1 in the order they appear in the patch input, and the range is a comma-separated list of numbers or "first-last" spans; either the first or the last in the span may be omitted to indicate no limit in that direction. --annotate Annotate each hunk with the filename and hunk number. --format=unified|context Use specified output format. --strip=n Remove the first n components of pathnames in the output. --addprefix=PREFIX Prefix pathnames in the output by PREFIX. This will override any individual settings specified with the --addoldprefix or --addnewprefix options. --addoldprefix=PREFIX Prefix pathnames for old or original files in the output by PREFIX. --addnewprefix=PREFIX Prefix pathnames for updated or new files in the output by PREFIX. --as-numbered-lines=before|after Instead of a patch fragment, display the lines of the selected hunks with the line number of the file before (or after) the patch is applied, followed by a TAB character and a colon, at the beginning of each line. Each hunk except the first will have a line consisting of "..." before it. --remove-timestamps Do not include file timestamps in the output. -v, --verbose Always show non-diff lines in the output. By default, non-diff lines are only shown when excluding a filename pattern. --clean Always remove all non-diff lines from the output. Even when excluding a filename pattern. -z, --decompress Decompress files with extensions .gz and .bz2. --help Display a short usage message. --version Display the version number of filterdiff. --list Behave like lsdiff(1) instead. --grep Behave like grepdiff(1) instead. EXAMPLES
To see all patch hunks that affect the first five lines of a C file: filterdiff -i '*.c' --lines=-5 < patch To see the first hunk of each file patch, use: filterdiff -#1 patchfile To see patches modifying a ChangeLog file in a subdirectory, use: filterdiff -p1 Changelog To see the complete patches for each patch that modifies line 1 of the original file, use: filterdiff --lines=1 patchfile | lsdiff | xargs -rn1 filterdiff patchfile -i To see all but the first hunk of a particular patch, you might use: filterdiff -p1 -i file.c -#2- foo-patch If you have a very specific list of hunks in a patch that you want to see, list them: filterdiff -#1,2,5-8,10,12,27- To see the lines of the files that would be patched as they will appear after the patch is applied, use: filterdiff --as-numbered-lines=after patch.file You can see the same context before the patch is applied with: filterdiff --as-numbered-lines=before patch.file Filterdiff can also be used to convert between unified and context format diffs: filterdiff -v --format=unified context.diff SEE ALSO
lsdiff(1), grepdiff(1) AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> Package maintainer patchutils 23 Jan 2009 FILTERDIFF(1)