Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get the username if I know only the user's UID? Post 302402784 by joeyg on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 04:13:08 PM
Old 03-10-2010
Bug To find a particular UID

The uid is normally the third field in /etc/passwd. Thus, to find username for uid=1000
Code:
awk -v val=1000 -F ":" '$3==val{print $1}' /etc/passwd

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

User ID (UID) in AIX

what is the upper limit for UID is AIX 5.3 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX:creating user with username more than 8 chars

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuafs84
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

NIS User UID Change

Hi All, I need to change the UID numbers of many NIS users, is there any command to modify the UID in NIS maps ? ( like usermod) so that their file permissions will be same even with their new UID. If not, how to check all the files owned by particular user in a computer and change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAA
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt over Uid and User name.

Hi, I know the uid and I wan to know the user name the uid belongs to. How can I get it. Suppose My user name is ssnayak and coresponding uid is 1110 Similarly I know one uid 1212 and how can I come to know the user name for this uid. Thanks & Regards, Siba (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get username of last user to modify a file

Possible to get this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create user if UID not exist; else, exit the script

Hi, I want to write a script to check whether an user ID is used in my server and then create that user. If the user ID is not used, I will echo something like "OK, continue" and then continue to execute the script. Else, I will echo something like "Used, exit" and then exit the script. As... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirkaulo
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UID of user accounts on *nix systems

Hi, As the /etc/passwd file contents all system and other users accounts on a linux/unix system, can anyone tell me what is the User ID values range for human user accounts (not system user accounts) on a linux (Red Hat/SuSE etc) and Unix (Solaris) OS. I heard below number 100, all users are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps - list where UID is numeric or name and for current user

Hi, 'ps -ef' returns output of the following format UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 17573 1 0 Sep12 tty6 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty tty6 hpsmh 18150 14864 0 Sep12 ? 00:00:00 /opt/hp/hpsmh/sbin/hpsmhd -DSSL -f /opt/hp/hpsmh/conf/smhpd.conf root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
3 Replies

9. AIX

UID & GID instead of user name and group name

Hi Everyone, We are encountering the following issue on AIX 5.3. When we do ls -ltr the list displays only user id and group id instead of user name and group name. This is happening for all users except root. Whe we do ls -ltr with root user it shows perfectly fine. When we searched... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhav.kunapa
25 Replies
PAM_ROOTOK(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						     PAM_ROOTOK(8)

NAME
pam_rootok - Gain only root access SYNOPSIS
pam_rootok.so [debug] DESCRIPTION
pam_rootok is a PAM module that authenticates the user if their UID is 0. Applications that are created setuid-root generally retain the UID of the user but run with the authority of an enhanced effective-UID. It is the real UID that is checked. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The auth, acct and password module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The UID is 0. PAM_AUTH_ERR The UID is not 0. EXAMPLES
In the case of the su(1) application the historical usage is to permit the superuser to adopt the identity of a lesser user without the use of a password. To obtain this behavior with PAM the following pair of lines are needed for the corresponding entry in the /etc/pam.d/su configuration file: # su authentication. Root is granted access by default. auth sufficient pam_rootok.so auth required pam_unix.so SEE ALSO
su(1), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_rootok was written by Andrew G. Morgan, <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_ROOTOK(8)