Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find duplicate commands in the search path? Post 302402676 by alister on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 10:12:10 AM
Old 03-10-2010
Hi,

If you're using bash:
Code:
type -a name

will list all commands named "name" in your PATH along with any identically named built-ins, functions, and aliases.

Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate files from list with different path

I have a list which contains all the jar files shipped with the product I am involved with. Now, in this list I have some jar files which appear again and again. But these jar files are present in different folders. My input file looks like this /path/1/to a.jar /path/2/to a.jar /path/1/to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about Restricting Search path of FIND to current directory

Hi, By default FIND command searches for matching files in all the subdirectories within the specified path. Is there a way to restrict FIND command's search path to only the specified directory and NOT TO scan its subdirectories. Any help would be more than appreciated. Thanks and Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: super_duper_guy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove date and duplicate rows from a log file using unix commands

Hi, I have a log file having size of 48mb. For such a large log file. I want to get the message in a particular format which includes only unique error and exception messages. The following things to be done : 1) To remove all the date and time from the log file 2) To remove all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pank10
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Commands From Non-Standard Path (Changing user's PATH secretely???)

Hi: I have a requirement as below: I have some standard Unix commands modified and kept them in a directory say /usr/clsh/bin. For example I have a script named "ls" kept here which is modified version of "ls" (say it always gives long listing i.e. ls -l). When any user logs on and types... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh_samane
2 Replies

5. Solaris

duplicate PATH entries

I noticed we have duplicate (or even triple) entries in PATH env variable. Is there any reason to have them all or is it safe to leave only one? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate based on 'n' fields and mark the duplicate as 'D'

Hi, In a file, I have to mark duplicate records as 'D' and the latest record alone as 'C'. In the below file, I have to identify if duplicate records are there or not based on Man_ID, Man_DT, Ship_ID and I have to mark the record with latest Ship_DT as "C" and other as "D" (I have to create... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search duplicate field and replace one of them with new value

Dear All, I have file with 4 columns: 1 AA 0 21 2 BB 0 31 3 AA 0 21 4 CC 0 41 I would like to find the duplicate record based on column 2 and replace the 4th column of the duplicate by a new value. So, the output will be: 1 AA 0 21 2 BB 0 31 3 AA 0 -21 4 CC 0 41 Any suggestions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezhil01
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern on logfile and search for day/dates and skip duplicate lines if any

Hi, I've written a script to search for an Oracle ORA- error on a log file, print that line and the .trc file associated with it as well as the dateline of when I assumed the error occured. In most it is the first dateline previous to the error. Unfortunately, this is not a fool proof script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find commmand returning search path with the result set

OS Platform : Oracle Linux 6.5 We are creating a shell script to purge old log files . It uses find command with rm in it. The syntax is find <Path of Log Directory> -exec rm -fr {} \; Example: find /tmp/test3 -exec rm -fr {} \; For rm command , we use -r option to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate values in specific column and delete all the duplicate values

Dear folks I have a map file of around 54K lines and some of the values in the second column have the same value and I want to find them and delete all of the same values. I looked over duplicate commands but my case is not to keep one of the duplicate values. I want to remove all of the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
4 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)