Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: simulating kernel panic
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers simulating kernel panic Post 302402673 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 10th of March 2010 10:03:17 AM
Old 03-10-2010
If you are using Redhat, you install and configure kexec/kdump. Then to panic the kernel and cause it to crash you simply do the following:
Code:
# echo "c" > /proc/sysrq-trigger

See How do I configure kexec/kdump on Red Hat for full information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RH 7.3 Kernel Panic.

I've installed rh 7.3 a fewday ago and I'm trying to boot it and I get this" Kernel panic: no init found. try passing init=options to kernel" ????? What do I do. Thanks. F,Ruiz. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruizf
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kernel panic

hello :-) I have one problem with my LiLO... I installed PLD Linux on my computer but when it boots, the last thing I can see is: request_module Root fs not mounted VFS: Cannot open root device 03:01 Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01 and the system stops :-( what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgas
1 Replies

3. Linux

kernel panic

I have compiled kernel version 2.6.12 in my linux box mandrake 10.1. I have followed www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html instructions. I have copied .config file from /usr/src/linux and lightly modified it (only the processor type) by xconfig. I have compiled the source and modules.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davide71
3 Replies

4. Linux

Kernel panic - not syncing: cannot execute a PAE-enabled kernel on PAE-less CPU

ok so I just installed fedora core 6 on my dell inspiron 700m and I go to boot into linux and I get this error. Has anyone seen this before? I also had XP Pro and Vista installed on this pc prior to putting fedora core 6 on the machine. I'm trying to setup a triple boot system. Please Help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave043
2 Replies

5. Linux

kernel panic on RHEL3

hello all, please, help! we suffered out of power today and one of our Linux boxes cannot boot properly: .. hda set_driver_speed_status error 0X04 VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00 ... the only thing that i can do - is boot in the rescue mode. i've already added noinitrd to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarGur
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Kernel Panic problem

Hi all, When i load my block device driver in Fedoracore10 kernel 2.6.27. i got this type of error kernel panic - not syncing : Fatal exception in interrupt. I am unable to save the log file.... Can any one help me..... regards sundar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundhar
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel 3.0 giving me panic :)

I was very exited to try out new kernel version so i decided to give it a try. http://www.conceivablytech.com/7683/products/linux-torvalds-approves-linux-3-0-rc1 So i downloaded the kernel 3.0-rc1 from The Linux Kernel Archives It was my first kernel compilation everything went smooth... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what does the kernel panic mean?

Hi, all: How should I obtain the reason of kernel panic? How should I debug the program which result in a kernel panic? What can I get from the panic information? li, kunlun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liklstar
3 Replies

9. SCO

Kernel Panic

Hello when i booting my SCO Server I become this Message PLS can anyone help me? Cheers Christoph (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cga
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Kernel panic-not syncing

dear experts linux i am using RHEL 5.5 run on a physical server. i am front of a big trouble, the Rhel can't run correctly , it show me this error message in black screen: reading all physical volumes. this my take a while .. found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2 9... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wassimpb
1 Replies
kdump-tools.conf(5)					Linux System Administrator's Manual				       kdump-tools.conf(5)

NAME
kdump-tools.conf - configuration file for the kdump-tools init script SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/kdump-tools DESCRIPTION
kdump-tools manages the kdump feature of the Linux kernel. The /etc/default/kdump-tools file contains local configuration settings of kdump. This file is sourced into a shell script, so it's format should be consistent with shell scripting. OPTIONS
USE_KDUMP Controls whether or not kdump-tools will take any action. If not set or 0, the kdump-tools init script will not run. KDUMP_SYSCTL Controls when a panic occurs, using the sysctl(8) interface. Each time a kdump kernel is loaded, "sysctl -w $KDUMP_SYSCTL" is also executed, thus allowing the system adiminstrator to maintain customizable conditions for a kdump. The contents of this variable should be the "variable=value ..." portion of the "sysctl -w" command. If not set, "kernel.panic_on_oops=1" will be used. This feature can be disabled by setting KDUMP_SYSCTL=" " See sysctl(8) for more info. KDUMP_KERNEL A full pathname to a kdump kernel (the kernel that is kexec'd at crash time in a reserved memory area, exposing the old kernel's memory for dumping). If not set, kdump-config will use the boot kernel as the kdump kernel if it is relocatable; otherwise you must set KDUMP_KERNEL in order for kdump-tools to work. KDUMP_INITRD A full pathname to the kdump initrd (if used). If KDUMP_KERNEL is set and KDUMP_INITRD is not set, a warning message will be printed, and an initrd will not be used. KDUMP_COREDIR Full path to a directory where the vmcore will be saved. Date stamped subdirectories are created each time a vmcore file is pro- cessed. If not set, /var/crash will be used. KDUMP_FAIL_CMD This variable specifies a command to run if the vmcore save fails. If not set, no special action is taken. DEBUG_KERNEL A debug version of the running kernel. If not set, kdump-config will use /usr/lib/debug/vmlinux-$(uname-r) if it exists. Other- wise, kdump will still work, but the dump will take longer and will be much larger. MAKEDUMP_ARGS Extra arguments passed to makedumpfile(8). If not set, "-c -d 31" will be used. This tells makedumpfile to use compression, and reduce the corefile to in-use kernel pages only. See makedumpfile(8) for details. KDUMP_KEXEC_ARGS Additional arguments to the kexec command used to load the kdump kernel. KDUMP_CMDLINE Normally, the current kernel commandline is obtained from /proc/cmdline. Set this variable to override /proc/cmdline. KDUMP_CMDLINE_APPEND Additional arguments to append to the command line for the kdump kernel. If not set, "irqpoll maxcpus=1 nousb" will be used. USAGE
kdump-tools is as automated as can be at this point but there are some prerequisites to using it. Additionally, some manual configuration is still required. Manual Configuration 1. USE_KDUMP is set to 0 by default. To enable kdump-tools, edit the /etc/default/kdump-tools configuration file and set USE_KDUMP=1. 2. Kernel Command line parameters - the kernel must be booted with a crashkernel= command line parameter. Some example crashkernel parameters: ia64: crashkernel=384M x86: crashkernel=128M x86_64: crashkernel=256M Some users may also want to add nmi_watchdog=1 on certain systems. The nmi watchdog will cause the kernel to panic (and kdump) if a system hang is detected. The kernel command line parameter is generally set in one of these files: /etc/default/grub, /boot/grub/menu.lst, /etc/elilo.conf, or /etc/lilo.conf. If the command line parameter is changed, a reboot is required in order for it to take effect. 3. Architectural considerations A) x86 && PAE && memory > 4 Gigabytes - use KDUMP_KEXEC_ARGS="--elf64-core-headers" B) x86 and x86_64 - Some systems can take advantage of the nmi watchdog. Add nmi_watchdog=1 to the boot commandline to turn on the watchdog. The nmi interrupt will call panic if activated. C) ia64 - Some systems may need KDUMP_KEXEC_ARGS="--noio". Use this if the system hangs after a panic, but before the kdump kernel begins to boot. Prerequisites 1. Boot Kernel Configuration - The boot kernel must be configured with CONFIG_KEXEC=y and, if it is also to be used as the kdump ker- nel, CONFIG_CRASHDUMP=y. For ia64, only makedumpfile level 1 will work if the memory model selected is CONFIG_DISCONTIG. CONFIG_SPARSEMEM is recommended instead. 2. Kdump Kernel Configuration - The kdump kernel must be relocated or relocatable. ia64 is relocatable by default, but x86, x86_64, and powerpc must be built with CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y. Other architectures may require a predermined start location via CONFIG_PHYSI- CAL_START. If the boot kernel is relocatable, kdump-tools will automatically use that kernel. Otherwise, a relocatable or relo- cated kernel will need to be provided. The kdump kernel can be specified in the /etc/default/kdump-tools file. Set the KDUMP_KER- NEL variable and if necessary the KDUMP_INITRD variable to point to the provided kernel and its initrd. The kdump kernel must be configured with: CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y 3. Debug Kernel - An uncompressed debug kernel should be provided in order for makedumpfile to process the vmcore file. Without a debug kernel, the transfer process is reduced to using "makedumpfile -c -d 1". If /usr/lib/debug/vmlinux-$(uname -r) exists, kdump- tools will automatically use that kernel. Otherwise, A) set DEBUG_KERNEL in /etc/default/kdump-tools to point to a debug version of the currently booted kernel or B) do with- out - makedumpfile will still work, but the dumpfile will be larger and take longer to save to disk. EXAMPLES
Also panic and kdump on oom: KDUMP_SYSCTL="kernel.panic_on_oops=1 vm.panic_on_oom=1" Use this option on x86 systems with PAE and more than 4 gig of memory: KDUMP_KEXEC_ARGS="--elf64-core-headers" This option starts a shell if kdump-tools cannot save the vmcore file: KDUMP_FAIL_CMD="/bin/bash; reboot -f" FILES
/etc/init.d/kdump-tools an init script to automatically load a kdump kernel, or save a vmcore and reboot. /etc/default/kdump-tools the kdump-tools configuration file /var/crash/kernel_link a link to the current debug kernel /var/crash/kexec_cmd the last kexec_cmd executed by kdump-config DIAGNOSTICS
See kdump-config(8) for explanations of various error messages. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/kdump-tools/README /usr/share/doc/kdump-tools/README.Debian kdump-config(8), kexec(8), sysctl(8), makedumpfile(8), crash(8), gdb(1), AUTHOR
Terry Loftin <terry.loftin@hp.com> kdump-tools v1.1.3 April 2007 kdump-tools.conf(5)