Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Best way to setup my own environmental variables ? Post 302402285 by Browser_ice on Tuesday 9th of March 2010 10:29:14 AM
Old 03-09-2010
Question Best way to setup my own environmental variables ?

I am writing a few korn scripts to be used by all our operators on several 4.1/4.2 AIX servers.

I want to create environmental variables that once set, can be read/modified by my scripts (ex: specific folders, file names, conventions, general values, ...). I thought this would be better then simply retyping them in all my scripts and would make maintenance a lot easier.

What would be the best way to do this ?

My scripting level is beginner but mainly because I am very rusty (used to do it a few years back).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

environmental varibles

flavor -- AIX 4.2.1 I am putting together some HTML pages, some of which contain forms. The problem pops up when I attempt to pass variables (from the forms) from one HTML page to a cgi-like page created using ksh. I have used the $1 - $9 vars, but they do not work with the passing. With... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xiix
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Environmental Variables - where stored ?

Hi all ! Yesterday I defined an environmental variable PATH, but today when I restarted machine, I could not see that it was stored any place. Is there any file where I could save the settings ? I have quite a few env.variables defined, so I need a smarter way to define. regards D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environmental Variable

Hi, I'm exporting an environmental variable from a C program using putenv function. I'm calling the exe of the C program from shell script. But when I display the environmental variables from the Shell script, My varaible is not getting displayed. Can anyone please tell me how to get it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
2 Replies

4. AIX

NIM server setup on etherchannel setup environment

I know that IBM's official stance is that NIM does not work on etherchannel environment, but has anyone able to get around it? I'm working on a p5-590 LPAR system, and the NIM master and clients are all on the same frame. Any help is appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdtak
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix passing environmental Variables

In my script when I change an env variable in the parent shell it is only changed for that session - it there away to change it permanently using a script so that when I use rlogin (create a child session) that the env variable is set correctly? Basically what I am trying to do is to pass a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: belfastbelle
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] command line substitution with environmental variables

Hi, I'm using an array that contains compiler FLAGS that need to be executed either before ./configure or after the main 'make' command. example of array containing compiler flags. ------------------------------------------------- FLAGS="CFLAGS=\"-arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle environmental variables in shells script

Hi, Getting below error on executing the shell script which initiates sqlplus How to set oracle enviornment variables in the shell script ? With Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with manipulating environmental variables in UNIX

I am wondering if there is away to increment a date in c shell. What I need to do is basic, but I lack the knowledge. I have they following environmental variable in my job scripts setenv YYYY `date '+%Y'` I then set YYYY to be part of my output dataset name: setenv dd_OUTPUTP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Don't understand the practical difference between command aliases and environmental variables

Hey, I'm recently learning Unix from the video course by Kevin Scoglund. I'm stuck at the moment where he goes into Environmenat variables. I have some issues with understanding what's the essential difference between EV and command aliases: for instance, by writing the command alias ll='ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

<< Environmental Variables are not set when script completes >>

Hi Team, I have a wrapper script which i have pasted below, it internally calls one python script to generate Environmental in a file called /home/oracle/myenv.sh, when i execute this script via wrapper script, its not reflecting in my current session, still showing old env variables. any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
2 Replies
FILECAP:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					       FILECAP:(8)

NAME
filecap - a program to see capabilities SYNOPSIS
filecap [ -a | -d | /dir | /dir/file [cap1 cap2 ...] ] DESCRIPTION
filecap is a program that prints out a report of programs with file based capabilities. If a file is not in the report or there is no report at all, no capabilities were found. For expedience, the default is to check only the directories in the PATH environmental variable. If the -a command line option is given, then all directories will be checked. If a directory is passed, it will recursively check that directory. If a path to a file is given, it will only check that file. If the path to the file includes capabilities, then they are written to the file. OPTIONS
-a This tells the program to show all capabilities starting from the / directory. Normally the PATH environmental variable is used to show you capabilities on files you are likely to execute. -d This dumps all capabilities for reference. EXAMPLES
To check file capabilities in $PATH: filecap To check file capabilities of whole system: filecap -a To check file capabilities recursively in a directory: filecap /usr To check file capabilities of a specific program: filecap /bin/passwd To list all possible capabilities: filecap -d To set a file capability on a specific program: filecap /bin/ping net_raw net_admin SEE ALSO
pscap(8), netcap(8), capabilities(7). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat March 2009 FILECAP:(8)