Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Need ideas what is wrong with v440 Post 302402255 by mainegeek on Tuesday 9th of March 2010 09:25:58 AM
Old 03-09-2010
@honglus: Ok, boot -v provided a more verbose boot up but still crash dumps and reboots. I'll try this again now that auto-boot? is false.

@Hari_Ganesh: As for coverage.... no! My company, against my suggestions, let the contract drop. And, I was just told that Oracle (according to my Sun FSE) will not do T&M anymore.

@incredible: I unplugged all drives.... got to the ok> prompt, tehn set auto-boot? to false, saved the nvram, reset the machine, and this time ran obdiag. Within obdiag I setenv diag-level max and then did a test-all. Everything passes!

---------- Post updated at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:55 AM ----------

I was able to see the error message before the stack dump and reset.

The error appears to be: Illegal major device number

I think the system is having a problem initializing the SCSI tape drive or the SCSI card itself. Although it doesn't list any errors it appears to be very slow during boot while initializing PCI/SCSI2. PCI/SCSI1 does not appear to have the same problem.

---------- Post updated at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:14 AM ----------

Ok, illegal major device number appears to be a SVM mirror issue so I'm back to square one.

Re: SVM mirror not working , illegal major device number...

I'll let you all know how this pans out. Thanks for the suggestions. As always, more suggestions are welcome--I am by no means a SVM expert

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Can't get ok prompt on V440

Hello all, This is probably a commonly asked question, but it has me stumped. I have a V440 which upon bootup gives me the option of getting into ALOM with #. I don't have the ALOM password so I want to re-install Solaris 10. When connected to the Management serial interface (on the PCI... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juanj
3 Replies

2. Solaris

video card for a V440

I am looking into getting some cards for the SunFire V440. Not sure how most folks go about this but I am assuming we can find compatible cards for this server platform without going through SUN. Do you guys recommend getting this video card from SUN? Yeah we got these servers without the video... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
5 Replies

3. Solaris

SUN V440 Question

I have a SUN V440 and it is running Solaris 9 with two NICs in the box ce0 ce1. Is there any way to get full duplex 1000? I do I check to see what ce0 and ce1 is set at and if it is not set to full duplex 1000, how do I set it and do I have to reboot the system afterward? I am new to the SUN unix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmwayne01
5 Replies

4. Solaris

V210 to V440

I recently acquired a server for home use. Currently, I'm running a V210. I was wondering of a way to basically swap hard drives into the V440. I would like to avoid reinstall on the V440 for many reasons. Currently on the V440, when I try to boot up it forces itself into System Maintenance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adelsin
1 Replies

5. Solaris

V210 to V440

I'm currently trying to move a perfectly find harddrive from a V210 to a V440. From what I can tell, the disk labeling a bit different, (V210 is c1t0d0 and V440 is c0t0d0). My question is, what all do I have to change to get the V440 to boot off of this with very little complications. Right now, it... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
21 Replies

6. Solaris

Reset password and login SC at SF V440

Dear All, I Have server SF V440, OS solaris is down and I must check logs at Sc, but I forgot my login and password. How to reset login and password at SF V440? Thanks Best Regards Jiman (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
3 Replies

7. Solaris

available PCI slots on v440

How do I find any available PCI slots on a v440? When I run prtconf, I get the following output? But I am not able to make out whether all the PCI slots are used. ================================= IO Devices ================================= Bus Freq Brd Type MHz Slot ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
1 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need ideas for graduation project based on unix or linux Need ideas for graduation project based on

Dear all, i am in last year of electronics department in engineering faculty i need suggestions for a graduation project based on unix or free bsd or linux and electronics "embedded linux " i think about embedded unix for example or device drivers please i need helps (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MOHA-1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris V440 keeps crashing

Hi, I have Sun Solaris V440, every two days or so, the system crashes and it's at OK prompt. After that I do the FSCK and clear all the bad sectors. Then system stays up for close to 48 hours. Then it crashes again. I checked the logs and I don't see anything under /var/adm/messages file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samnyc
1 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 					  System Administration Utilities					   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB to a device SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION...] [OPTION] [INSTALL_DEVICE] DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. --compress=no|xz|gz|lzo compress GRUB files [optional] -d, --directory=DIR use images and modules under DIR [default=/usr/lib/grub/<platform>] --fonts=FONTS install FONTS [default=unicode] --install-modules=MODULES install only MODULES and their dependencies [default=all] -k, --pubkey=FILE embed FILE as public key for signature checking --locale-directory=DIR use translations under DIR [default=/usr/share/locale] --locales=LOCALES install only LOCALES [default=all] --modules=MODULES pre-load specified modules MODULES --themes=THEMES install THEMES [default=starfield] -v, --verbose print verbose messages. --allow-floppy make the drive also bootable as floppy (default for fdX devices). May break on some BIOSes. --auto-nvram only update NVRAM variables if possible. This option is only available on EFI and IEEE1275 targets. --boot-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR/grub instead of the boot/grub directory --bootloader-id=ID the ID of bootloader. This option is only available on EFI and Macs. --core-compress=xz|none|auto choose the compression to use for core image --disk-module=MODULE disk module to use (biosdisk or native). This option is only available on BIOS target. --efi-directory=DIR use DIR as the EFI System Partition root. --force install even if problems are detected --force-file-id use identifier file even if UUID is available --label-bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for label background --label-color=COLOR use COLOR for label --label-font=FILE use FILE as font for label --macppc-directory=DIR use DIR for PPC MAC install. --no-bootsector do not install bootsector --no-extra-removable Do not install bootloader code to the removable media path. This option is only available on EFI. --no-nvram don't update the `boot-device'/`Boot*' NVRAM variables. This option is only available on EFI and IEEE1275 targets. --no-rs-codes Do not apply any reed-solomon codes when embedding core.img. This option is only available on x86 BIOS targets. --no-uefi-secure-boot do not install an image usable with UEFI Secure Boot, even if the system was currently started using it. This option is only avail- able on EFI. --product-version=STRING use STRING as product version --recheck delete device map if it already exists --removable the installation device is removable. This option is only available on EFI. -s, --skip-fs-probe do not probe for filesystems in DEVICE Usage: grub-install [OPTION...] [OPTION] [INSTALL_DEVICE] Install GRUB on your drive. --compress=no|xz|gz|lzo compress GRUB files [optional] -d, --directory=DIR use images and modules under DIR [default=/usr/lib/grub/<platform>] --fonts=FONTS install FONTS [default=unicode] --install-modules=MODULES install only MODULES and their dependencies [default=all] -k, --pubkey=FILE embed FILE as public key for signature checking --locale-directory=DIR use translations under DIR [default=/usr/share/locale] --locales=LOCALES install only LOCALES [default=all] --modules=MODULES pre-load specified modules MODULES --themes=THEMES install THEMES [default=starfield] -v, --verbose print verbose messages. --allow-floppy make the drive also bootable as floppy (default for fdX devices). May break on some BIOSes. --auto-nvram only update NVRAM variables if possible. This option is only available on EFI and IEEE1275 targets. --boot-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR/grub instead of the boot/grub directory --bootloader-id=ID the ID of bootloader. This option is only available on EFI and Macs. --core-compress=xz|none|auto choose the compression to use for core image --disk-module=MODULE disk module to use (biosdisk or native). This option is only available on BIOS target. --efi-directory=DIR use DIR as the EFI System Partition root. --force install even if problems are detected --force-file-id use identifier file even if UUID is available --label-bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for label background --label-color=COLOR use COLOR for label --label-font=FILE use FILE as font for label --macppc-directory=DIR use DIR for PPC MAC install. --no-bootsector do not install bootsector --no-extra-removable Do not install bootloader code to the removable media path. This option is only available on EFI. --no-nvram don't update the `boot-device'/`Boot*' NVRAM variables. This option is only available on EFI and IEEE1275 targets. --no-rs-codes Do not apply any reed-solomon codes when embedding core.img. This option is only available on x86 BIOS targets. --no-uefi-secure-boot do not install an image usable with UEFI Secure Boot, even if the system was currently started using it. This option is only avail- able on EFI. --product-version=STRING use STRING as product version --recheck delete device map if it already exists --removable the installation device is removable. This option is only available on EFI. -s, --skip-fs-probe do not probe for filesystems in DEVICE --target=TARGET install GRUB for TARGET platform [default=i386-pc]; available targets: arm-efi, arm-uboot, arm64-efi, i386-coreboot, i386-efi, i386-ieee1275, i386-multiboot, i386-pc, i386-qemu, i386-xen, ia64-efi, mips-arc, mips-qemu_mips, mipsel-arc, mipsel-loongson, mipsel-qemu_mips, powerpc-ieee1275, sparc64-ieee1275, x86_64-efi, x86_64-xen --uefi-secure-boot install an image usable with UEFI Secure Boot. This option is only available on EFI and if the grub-efi-amd64-signed package is installed. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. INSTALL_DEVICE must be system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into boot/grub. On some platforms, it may also install GRUB into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub-mkconfig(8), grub-mkimage(1), grub-mkrescue(1) The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-INSTALL(8)