Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A shell script or software for generating random passwords Post 302402111 by amitranjansahu on Tuesday 9th of March 2010 01:28:21 AM
Old 03-09-2010
I don't understand your requirement completly. To generate a random passwd you can use the bellow perl script . You can modify it as per your requirement.

PHP Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

sub randomPassword {

my $password;

my $_rand;

my $password_length $_[0];
 if (!
$password_length) {

$password_length 10;
 }

my @chars split(" ",

"a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o
  p q r s t u v w x y z A B C D
  E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S
  T U V W X Y Z - _ % # | 0 1 2
  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ! ? $ @"
);

srand;

for (
my $i=0$i <= $password_length ;$i++) {

$_rand int(rand 71);

$password .= $chars[$_rand];
 }
 return 
$password;
}

print 
"\n\nRandom Password = "randomPassword(9);
print 
"\n\n"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

2. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

3. Programming

C Help; generating a random number.

Im new to C, and Im having a hard time getting a random number. In bash, I would do something similar to the following to get a random number; #!/bin/bash seed1=$RANDOM seed2=$RANDOM seed3=$RANDOM SEED=`expr $seed1 * $seed2 / $seed3` echo ${SEED%.*} Now, in online examples... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

A software or a batch file to genarate random passwords

Hi, Is there a batch file or any software to genarate random passwords and the passwords expire automatically after a stipulated time period. Please suggest. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or any software to genarate random passwords

Hi, Is there a shell script or any software to genarate random passwords and the passwords expire automatically after a stipulated time period. Please suggest. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Random Number in certain range

Hi there I am trying to generate a random number between 40 and 70 using the shell here is my code so far and it keeps going above 70. all help much appreciated! comp=$(( RANDOM%70+40 )) echo $comp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faintingquiche
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Passwords

Hi Friends, I need a quick help in unix scripts, my aim is to generate random passwords like, 1. first 3 characters are alphabets or numbers 2. then one of special characters like &()/?:;+- 3. Last 4 characters are alphabets or numbers total length will be 8. i tried with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandy
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random number generating script?

Having a hard time with this. Very new to scripting and linux. Spent all sunday trying to do this. Appreciate some help and maybe help breaking down what the syntax does. Create a Bash program. It should have the following properties • Creates a secret number between 1 and 100 i. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LINUXnoob15
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a Random String of 'n' length

Hi, How can I generate a string of random characters (alpha+numeric) of a particular length ? For e.g. for n=5, output = 'kasjf' n=10, output = 'hedbcd902k' Also, please let me know if random (valid) dates could also be generated. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishigc
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating a POSIX random number?

Hi Guys and gals... As you know I am getting to grips with POSIX and hit this stumbling block. Generating two random numbers 0 to 255 POSIXly. Speed in not important hence the 'sleep 1' command. I have done a demo that works, but it sure is ugly! Is there a better way? #!/bin/sh # Random... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
makepasswd(1)						       UNIX Reference Manual						     makepasswd(1)

NAME
makepasswd - generate and/or encrypt passwords SYNOPSIS
makepasswd [ --chars N ] [ --clearfrom file ] [ --count N ] [ --crypt | --nocrypt | --crypt-md5 ] [ --cryptsalt N ] [ --help ] [ --maxchars N ] [ --minchars N ] [ --randomseed N ] [ --rerandom N ] [ --repeatpass N ] [ --string string ] [ --verbose | --noverbose ] DESCRIPTION
makepasswd generates true random passwords using /dev/urandom, with the emphasis on security over pronounceability. It can also encrypt plaintext passwords given on the command line. OPTIONS
--chars N Generate passwords with exactly N characters (do not use with options --minchars and --maxchars). --clearfrom FILE Use password from FILE instead of generating passwords. Requires the --crypt or the --crypt-md5 options; may not be used with these options: --chars, --maxchars, --minchars, --count, --string, --nocrypt. Trailing newlines are removed but other white space is not. --count N Produce a total of N passwords (the default is one). --crypt Produce encrypted passwords. --crypt-md5 Produce encrypted passwords using the MD5 digest (hash) algorithm. --cryptsalt N Use crypt() salt N, a positive number <= 4096. If random seeds are desired, specify a zero value (the default). --help Ignore other operands and produce only a help display. --maxchars N Generate passwords with at most N characters (default = 10). --minchars N Generate passwords with at least N characters (default = 8). --nocrypt Do not encrypt the generated password(s) (the default). --noverbose Display no labels on output (the default). --randomseed N Use random number seed N, between 0 and 2^32 inclusive. A zero value results in a real-random seed. This generates much less secure passwords than the default; not only does it generate predictable passwords due to the fixed seed, but the range of available seeds is 32 bits rather than the default of 256 bits, and cannot be changed without breaking expectations of previous users of this option. If possible, do not use this option. --rerandom N Set the random seed value every N values used. Specify zero to use a single seed value (the default). Specify one to get true-ran- dom passwords, though note that doing this too frequently will deplete the supply of entropy available in the kernel's entropy pool. --repeatpass N Use each password N times (4096 maximum, --crypt must be set and --cryptsalt may not be set). --string STRING Use the characters in STRING to generate random passwords. --verbose Display labelling information on output. HISTORY
makepasswd was originally part of the mkircconf program used to centrally administer the Linux Internet Support Cooperative IRC network. It may potentially be of use in any situation where passwords must be secure and need not be memorized by humans. Colin Watson modified it to use OpenSSL's pseudo-random number generator. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-1998 by lilo <lilo@linpeople.org>. All rights are reserved by the author. This program may be used under the terms of version 2 of the GNU Public License. SEE ALSO
passwd(5) Debian Distribution 1998 February 9 makepasswd(1)