Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions A software or a batch file to genarate random passwords Post 302402103 by dwiravi on Tuesday 9th of March 2010 12:53:29 AM
Old 03-09-2010
A software or a batch file to genarate random passwords

Hi,

Is there a batch file or any software to genarate random passwords and the passwords expire automatically after a stipulated time period.

Please suggest.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Batch file to change all passwords

Hi all I am using tru64 Unix and I want to use batch file which makes me to change all user passwords at the same time ,instead of changing everyone separately. Please could anyone help me to do that. bye. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedbashir
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or any software to genarate random passwords

Hi, Is there a shell script or any software to genarate random passwords and the passwords expire automatically after a stipulated time period. Please suggest. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A shell script or software for generating random passwords

Hi, Is there an shell script/batch file to genarate random passwords which expires after a stipulated time period? Please suggest a software which does this for AIX and windows both else. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When did UNIX start using encrypted passwords, and not displaying passwords when you type them in?

I've been using various versions of UNIX and Linux since 1993, and I've never run across one that showed your password as you type it in when you log in, or one that stored passwords in plain text rather than encrypted. I'm writing a script for work for a security audit, and two of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Passwords

Hi Friends, I need a quick help in unix scripts, my aim is to generate random passwords like, 1. first 3 characters are alphabets or numbers 2. then one of special characters like &()/?:;+- 3. Last 4 characters are alphabets or numbers total length will be 8. i tried with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nandy
1 Replies
chpasswd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       chpasswd(8)

NAME
chpasswd - change user passwords in batch SYNOPSIS
chpasswd [-D binddn] [-P path] [-c des|md5|blowfish | -e] [file] DESCRIPTION
chpasswd changes passwords for user accounts in batch. It reads a list of login and password pairs from standard input or a file and uses this information to update the passwords of this user accounts. The named account must exist and the password age will be updated. Each input line is of the format: user_name:password If the hash algorithmus is not given on the commandline, the value of GROUP_CRYPT or, if not specified, CRYPT from /etc/default/passwd is used as hash algorithmus. If not configured, the traditinal des algorithmus is used. OPTIONS
-c des|md5|blowfish This option specifies the hash algorithmus, which should be used to encrypt the passwords. -e The passwords are expected to be in encrypted form. Normally the passwords are expected to be cleartext. -D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. chpasswd will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. FILES
/etc/default/passwd - default values for password hash SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(5), shadow(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils Feburary 2004 chpasswd(8)