Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution Post 302402059 by glev2005 on Monday 8th of March 2010 07:58:55 PM
Old 03-08-2010
sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename?

Code:
#!/bin/bash

filename=`echo $0`

/usr/bin/sed '/#include/ {
i\
the filename is `$filename`
}' $1
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making script show command (e.g. copy) being executed and variable substitution?

When script is running you only see when some of the commands are not successfull. Is there a way to see which command are executed and to show the substitution of variables as every line is executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr0124
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Command Substitution and Variable Expansion within a Case

Hello All, I don't write scripts very often, and in this case I am stumped, although it may be a bug in the version of bash I have to use (it's not my system). I want to extract a specific string snippet from a block of text (coming from a log file) that is dependent on a bunch of other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaimielives
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable inside command substitution

Hello people. Part of my script: SUBSETID=`echo $PMFILE |sed 's/pmresult_//' | sed 's/_*//'` MAPFILE=`find /huawei/cell /huawei/nodeb /huawei/rnc -name 'mapping_$SUBSETID.txt' |grep -v backup` Unfortunatelly variable $SUBSETID in the MAPFILE declaration will not return the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command substitution inside of a variable expression (AIX, KORN)

Hello all. This is my first post/question on this site. I’m a new Systems Analyst with previous experience with BASH. Although now I'm using AIX, and I’m trying to get a feel for the Korn shell (for those of you that don’t know AIX only uses the KORN shell). I hope I put this into the correct... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sydox
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable expansion fails for substitution in range

I'm trying to change "F" to "G" in lines after the first one: 'FUE.SER' 5 1 1 F0501 F0401 F0502 2 1 F0301 E0501 F0201 E0502 F0302 3 1 F0503 E0503 E0301 E0201 E0302 E0504 F0504 4 1 F0402 F0202 E0202 F0101 E0203 F0203 F0403 5 1 F0505 E0505 E0303 E0204 E0304 E0506... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: larrl
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Real-time scenarios where VARIABLE SUBSTITUTION/EXPANSION is useful

Hi, at academic level I am familiar with how variable substitution/expansion feature works. From your live experience, can you please tell what are real-time scenarios where ${variable:=} ${variable%pattern} ${variable:=word} sort of features can be used? How can we connect that dot that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_2010
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attributes value substitution with sed command

Hi, I am trying to substitute an attributes value using sed command but it is only possible to substitute the value without space. input xml <BillingAddress11300000 Tag="11300000" SectionID="BLA" CustAddrName="CLAUDIA LUCIA DE ALMEIDA" CustAddrStreet="AV ENGENHEIRO RICHARD" CustAddrState="RJ"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bijayan Sarkar
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Attributes value substitution with sed command

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi, I am trying to substitute an attributes value using sed command but it is only possible to substitute the value without space. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: input xml <BillingAddress11300000... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bijayan Sarkar
13 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)