Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Running Total Running Wild
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running Total Running Wild Post 302402052 by methyl on Monday 8th of March 2010 07:10:19 PM
Old 03-08-2010
Taking into account the earlier postings and error messages you will have seen during testing, by now your shell script should look something vaguely like this example:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
counter=0
sales=0
total=0
while [ "$sales""X" != "X" ]
do
     echo "Enter sales price: \c" ; read sales
     let counter=$counter+1
     let total=$total+$sales
     echo "Counter : $counter"
     echo "Running total: $total"
done

The first line (the shebang line) states which shell we are using.

Indentation adds to readability.

We have appended an arbitary character "X" to "$sales" in the while statement to avoid the syntax error when we finally don't enter a value and want to exit the loop. (There are other ways of achieving the same effect).

For completeness and readablility we initialise $total .

We can extend the "echo" statements to improve the layout on the screen and to provide more information about what the output means. The "\c" in the first echo stops echo outputting a newline character such that the user enters the answer on the same line as the question.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent job1 from running while job2 is running..

Hi, Please I need your expert advise on how to prevent/lock from execution job1 while job2 is still running in Unix... THanks:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tikang
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep running total/ final total across multiple files

Ok, another fun hiccup in my UNIX learning curve. I am trying to count the number of occurrences of an IP address across multiple files named example.hits. I can extract the number of occurrences from the files individually but when you use grep -c with multiple files you get the output similar to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrAd
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Total

HPUX 11i v2 #!/bin/sh Hi all. I have a space delimited flat file of about 9000 lines. I would like to get a running total of field 3 to the variable $TOTAL. Field 3 can be formatted as listed.... $ 0.00 $2804.15 <$ 4.14> (negative) Any ideas are most appreciated!!!! TIA!! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyoncc
9 Replies

4. Solaris

Running from Shell Vs running from RC script

Hi, i have a script which need to do behave differently when run as a startup process from init.d/ rc2.d script and when run manually from shell. How do i distinguish whether my script is run by init process or by shell?? Will the command /proc/$$/psinfo | grep "myscript" work well???... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print available running instance out of total

Hello. I have a status command in AIX box, which provides output as below: $ status You are running the application on pegasus2 ----Program Name------|--Avail / Total---------| MQ | 1/2 | ORACLE | 10/10 | TMADMIN ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job running for some days and is not running for some days

Hi.. i have written a shell script and made this script to run on every day night 11: 55 pm using a cron job. This cron job running for some days and is not running for some day. but i need this script to run every day night. Please help me. Here is the cron tab entries, 55 23 * * *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know how many files are running.?

Hi friends I want to know can we check how many php files are running currently or can we know that a file is running or not. Maine issue is that i am running two or three files, there are lots of code on them, each files takes 20 minutes to complete. i want to know that first file is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay833i
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why script is running sometimes and not running sometimes?

Hi, I have a script which does couple of database connection and run some SELECT queries to get some output in the file. I am surprised to see :eek: that when i run my script some times it gives the desired out put and sometimes it shows some error :confused: . Suppose if i execute it say... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
3 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)