Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to detect SIGTERM,SIGKILL signal in UNIX Post 302401919 by bigearsbilly on Monday 8th of March 2010 09:37:28 AM
Old 03-08-2010
you cannot intercept kill -9 at all.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why SIGKILL will occur?

Hi Gurus, I am executing my Datastage jobs on UNIX operating System. While running the jobs i am getting the following error: main_program: Unexpected termination by Unix signal 9(SIGKILL) Can any one please let me know what are the possible situations where this SIGKILL will arrise? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: choppas
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help required regarding Unix Signal

It is required to trap the signal send to a daemon process before rebooting a unix server. Suppose a script abc.ksh is running in the server as daemon. Before rebooting the server, the unix admin kills all the daemon processes. It is not known to me how admin kills the processes; I mean by which... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_bijitesh
9 Replies

3. Programming

How to implement SIGKILL and SIGTERM and print a message?

Hello, I am running a webserver that uses sockets, forks, and children. The parent process listens for connections and the child processes the information. I am trying to figure out why the code I have below SIGTERM, and SIGKILL never fire. I was messing around with the printfs and doesnt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: norelco55
11 Replies

4. Solaris

SIGQUIT and SIGKILL message

Dear All, I have machine with SunOS 5.10 Generic_138888-01 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5120. Yesterday there is something at dmesg command : May 25 18:09:02 cacao_launcher: Timeout occured on heartbeat channel, cleanup engaged May 25 18:09:07 cacao_launcher: watchdog : warning,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
0 Replies

5. Programming

Reliable management of signal SIGPIPE and SIGTERM

I' m note very expert in the reliable manage of signal... but in my server I must manage SIGPIPE for the socket and SIGTERM... I've wrote this but there is something wrong... Can someone explain me with some example the reliable management of signal?? This is what I've wrote in the server ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: italian_boy
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Signal Processing in unix

I've read the man page of singal(3) but I still can't quite understand what is the difference between SIGINT, SIGALRM and SIGTERM. Can someone tell me what is the behavioral difference among these 3 signals in kill command? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe228
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SIGSTOP and SIGKILL

Which is sent to a terminal when it closes? SIGKILL? Reason I ask is I have a script I want to run in the background, but want it to run even if the terminal window is closed. Or, I'd like it to background itself if the terminal is closed but not if its running in an open window. I will learn how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
5 Replies

8. Programming

UNIX signal problem

Hi all, Sorry about the title,at first i decided to ask a problem about the signal mechanism,however,i'm now figured it out.Sorry to forget modify the title:wall:.I had a small problem that if i use the code which is commented,the code would get a segment fault,while the above code NOT.what's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeboy
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to detect files transmission at UNIX server ?

Dear Expert Users, I know that Unix utility ( fuser ) is used to detect "transmission" of files from Source system to "current Linux Server". I have scheduled this Unix script to work every 30th minutes of the hour and whenever files transmission starts at that very moment. And, the file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: schandrakar1
4 Replies
KILL(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [options] <pid> [...] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9, -SIGKILL or -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. OPTIONS
<pid> [...] Send signal to every <pid> listed. -<signal> -s <signal> --signal <signal> Specify the signal to be sent. The signal can be specified by using name or number. The behavior of signals is explained in sig- nal(7) manual page. -l, --list [signal] List signal names. This option has optional argument, which will convert signal number to signal name, or other way round. -L, --table List signal names in a nice table. NOTES Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
kill(2), killall(1), nice(1), pkill(1), renice(1), signal(7), skill(1) STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng October 2011 KILL(1)