Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What are the contents of a symbolic link? Post 302401898 by pludi on Monday 8th of March 2010 08:15:58 AM
Old 03-08-2010
There are 3 possible answers:
  1. Whatever your course study material says
  2. Nothing, as it's just something stored in the filesystem information, not a file
  3. Whatever is stored in the target file, as that's what all syscalls will read

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

1 symbolic link to 2 different places?

I was wondering is it possible todo something like following: A) Settings:- - 2 servers on the network - both can be reached via /net/SERVER1/datadir and /net/SERVER2/datadir - i'm running rsync to syncronize the data coming to server1 from whatever application B) Wanted: on other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

6. Solaris

issue with Symbolic link

Hi All, I have to set a soft link to a directory, e.g. it’s done, however I want it make it permanent and in case if any program is pointing to /cms/cmsuat/server/cmu/contribution it should go to /cms/cmsUAT/server/cmu/Contribution. Need your help! Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link can i use find / path -type l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avtalan
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
xfs_ncheck(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     xfs_ncheck(8)

NAME
xfs_ncheck - generate pathnames from i-numbers for XFS SYNOPSIS
xfs_ncheck [ -i ino ] ... [ -f ] [ -s ] [ -l logdev ] device DESCRIPTION
xfs_ncheck with no -i arguments generates an inode number and pathname list of all files on the given filesystem. Names of directory files are followed by /.. The output is not sorted in any particular order. The filesystem to be examined is specified by the device argument, which should be the disk or volume device for the filesystem. Filesystems stored in files can also be checked, using the -f flag. OPTIONS
-f Specifies that the filesystem image to be processed is stored in a regular file at device (see the mkfs.xfs -d file option). This might happen if an image copy of a filesystem has been made into an ordinary file. -l logdev Specifies the device where the filesystem's external log resides. Only for those filesystems which use an external log. See the mkfs.xfs -l option, and refer to xfs(5) for a detailed description of the XFS log. -s Limits the report to special files and files with setuserid mode. This option may be used to detect violations of security pol- icy. -i ino Limits the report to only those files whose inode numbers follow. May be given multiple times to select multiple inode numbers. If the filesystem is seriously corrupted, or very busy and looks like it is corrupt, a message of the form that would be generated by xfs_check(8) may appear. xfs_ncheck is only useful with XFS filesystems. SEE ALSO
mkfs.xfs(8), xfs_check(8), xfs(5). xfs_ncheck(8)