Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to grep/read a file inside compressed tgz without extract? Post 302401872 by radoulov on Monday 8th of March 2010 05:49:23 AM
Old 03-08-2010
If you have/can install the Perl modules Archive::Tar and IO::Zlib:

Code:
perl -MArchive::Tar -le'
  ($pattern, $fname) = @ARGV;
  $tar = Archive::Tar->new;
  $tar->read($fname, 1);
  $tar->get_content($_) =~ /$pattern/ 
    and print for $tar->list_files;
  ' d test.tgz

Last edited by radoulov; 03-08-2010 at 07:29 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep inside the zip file

i have to grep a particular pattern say "meter number" in 100s of zip files file1.zip : : : : file100.zip how to achive this? cat *.zip | grep "meter number" also i dnt want to unzip and then grep it...... hope i made myself clear. thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract .tgz files that only contain a pattern

Let's say I've got File.tgz that contains:- Apple.txt Banana.txt Carrot.txt AppleBanana.txt Now, I would like to only extract files that contain the patter "Apple". I've tried this tar -xvf File.tgz 'tar -tf File.tgz | grep 'Apple'' but it does not work. Please help. Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: percivalwcy
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

doing grep inside perl file

Hi have one Perl file inside that i am defining at an array file. @temp_vmdk_files = `grep vmdk '$guest_vmx'` where my $guest_vmx=/vmfs/volumes/47e40fec-9c8bb7f7-d076-001422159f8a/BES Exchange/BES-Exchange.vmx and i am just want to do grep of "vmdk" files from the above path but when... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bp_vardhaman
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file.tgz.1of2 & file.tgz.2of2

Hi all, Need help. Anybody seen this kind of file before? file.tgz.1of2 file.tgz.2of2 how to extract this tgz file? Any help? Tq (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeedwolf
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading compressed files during a grep search

All, The bottom line is that im reading a file, storing it as variables, recursively grep searching it, and then piping it to allow word counts as well. I am unsure on how to open any .zip .tar and .gzip, search for keywords and return results. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryan.lee
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH SHELL: problem calculation number of lines inside compressed file

Hi Gurus, I am working with a korn shell script to simplify some operations of calculation number of lines inside compressed file. The called function (inside a cycle) is the following: ######################################### # F.ne: CheckCount #########################################... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read a file inside jar

how to read the text file inside the jar without extracting jar. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract compressed tarball to folder?

This is for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.7 (Tikanga). Wanna extract entire contents of a tar.gz to a folder of my choosing. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update file record inside read loop

Hi, I am reading file records inside a while loop, and want to update the record when certain condition is met. How can I update a file while being read? I want to avoid using temporary files, copy, rename, ... while IFS=',' read -r f1 f2 do function(f1,f2) if then <add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ysrini
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Case inside While read File

Hi Experts, Need your guidance for case statement. I tried many way but no success yet.Now my existing code is doing something like below. Each Line of the input file contains one test case.#!/bin/bash FILE=$1 while read LINE; do do COMMAND done < $FILE Now I want to modify the code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
6 Replies
XZGREP(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZGREP(1)

NAME
xzgrep - search compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
xzgrep [grep_options] [-e] pattern file... xzegrep ... xzfgrep ... lzgrep ... lzegrep ... lzfgrep ... DESCRIPTION
xzgrep invokes grep(1) on files which may be either uncompressed or compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to grep(1). If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep(1). When reading from standard input, gzip(1) and bzip2(1) compressed files are not supported. If xzgrep is invoked as xzegrep or xzfgrep then egrep(1) or fgrep(1) is used instead of grep(1). The same applies to names lzgrep, lze- grep, and lzfgrep, which are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. ENVIRONMENT
GREP If the GREP environment variable is set, xzgrep uses it instead of grep(1), egrep(1), or fgrep(1). SEE ALSO
grep(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zgrep(1) Tukaani 2009-07-05 XZGREP(1)