Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reuse Variable..
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reuse Variable.. Post 302401852 by clx on Monday 8th of March 2010 04:38:09 AM
Old 03-08-2010
Quote:
that $file_name variable won't take the latest value assigned to the $cv?
This is correct. and the filename will take the latest value.
(only of those which are assigned before defining filename variable.)
if you assign a new value to CV after filename then filename is unaffected (clear though!).

Code:
cv=1
cv=2
file=a_$cv
cv=3

$file will still contain the a_2 ( cv=2).

shell reads the commands one by one.. top to bottom.

moreover, not sure which shell you are using.. but i can see lots of syntax errors and improvement in your code as par my knowledge.

Code:
job_name="$(echo "load_didrnge.sh")" ==> job_name="load_didrnge.sh"
table_name="$(echo "DIDRNGE")" ==> table_name="DIDRNGE"
cv="$(echo "CV000")" ==> cv="CV000"

cv="$(print 'CV09')" ==> cv="CV09"

# invalid commnad substitution. syntx err!.
file_name=`CP99978_`$cv`.TXT` ==> file_name=CP99978_${cv}.TXT 

# again same thing
file_name="$(awk '{print $1}' $cv )" ==> file_name="$(echo $cv | awk '{print $1}')" or file_name="$(awk '{print $1}' <<< $cv)"

hope it helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reuse same major number

Hi, I am working on device drivers.Once If register a device i'll get one major no. If i unregister and register again i'll get a different major no.What i have to do to get same major no. each time :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agnello
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Password reuse utility

Does anyone know of a password reuse utility for Solaris 7 or 8? Security people are telling me that I need one. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rtoba
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Reuse disk from other HP-UX

Hello, I have 2 hp-ux both running 11.23, I have move one of a harddisk from "UNIX A" to "UNIX B", so how can I read back the data in "UNIX B"? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zetadhell
5 Replies

4. Linux

suggest some ideas for reuse

hi can you all help me to develop anything in unix that could be reused. any module or application could be helpful (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reuse argument from current command?

I'm currently using zsh. Sometimes I find myself wishing to reuse an argument from earlier in the command. I know that I can, of course, assign an argument to a variable ahead of time, and then easily use that variable more than once. I know about the ability to reuse arguments from previous... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marshaul
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to declare variables once and reuse them in other scripts?

Hello everyone. I'm trying to create a conf file with variables that my other scripts will use. I have several scripts that use the same variables, and since I don't know how to read them from an external file, i define them in each script (and then if i want to change one's value i need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshe88
4 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Reuse a LUN

I have a LUN (From HP-Storage VA7110) that is claimed on 2 servers, but is in used in one of the VG on Server-1 . Now I want to shut Server-1 and re-use that LUN on server-2 . Server-1 Path-1 : /dev/rdsk/c4t0d1 Path-2: /dev/rdsk/c6t0d1 Server-2 Path-1: /dev/rdsk/c5t0d1 Path-2:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to reuse values in Shell script

Hi I am trying to write a shell script and wanted to re-use the value which I have entered already. Here is the sample code. echo "Enter Value : \c" ; read val echo "Enter number: $val\c" ; read num Now I wanted to change the value as showing in 2nd Line or if I will use enter, it... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SushilAnand
15 Replies

9. Solaris

Reuse old/configured server for new purpose problems.

Greetings. First of all I consider myself a newbe in Linux, that's why I'm seeking your help so please be patient! I was given an old server (Solaris) that has Oracle (10.2.0) installed with a few databases. I'm supposed to reuse this server for this new application which will process data... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
11 Replies

10. Programming

Reuse format strings

I have a collection of format strings for sscanf, such as "%02d%*1s%02d%*1s%02d" to read in certain formatted strings, such as dates, times, etc. I wonder if there is a way to use them in printf without some changes? The example above would not work - at least I can't think of any ways to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
4 Replies
SH(1)							      General Commands Manual							     SH(1)

NAME
sh, ., break, case, cd, continue, eval, exec, exit, export, for, if, read, readonly, set, shift, trap, umask, wait, while - shell SYNOPSIS
sh [-eiknqstvxu] [-c str] [file] OPTIONS
-c Execute the commands in str -e Quit on error -i Interactive mode; ignore QUIT, TERMINATE, INTERRUPT -k Look for name=value everywhere on command line -n Do not execute commands -q Change qflag from sig_ign to sig_del -s Read commands from standard input -t Exit after reading and executing one command -v Echo input lines as they are read -x Trace -u Unset variables EXAMPLES
sh script # Run a shell script DESCRIPTION
Sh is the shell, which forms the user's main interface with the system. On startup, the shell reads /etc/profile and $HOME/.profile, if they exist, and executes any commands they contain. The Minix shell has most of the features of the V7 (Bourne) shell, including redirect- ion of input and output, pipes, magic characters, background processes, and shell scripts. A brief summary follows, but whole books have been written on shell programming alone. Some of the more common notations are: date # Regular command sort <file # Redirect stdin (standard input) sort <file1 >file2 # Redirect stdin and stdout cc file.c 2>error # Redirect stderr a.out >f 2>&1 # Combine standard output and standard error sort <file1 >>file2 #Append output to file2 sort <file1 >file2 & #Background job (ls -l; a.out) & # Run two background commands sequentially sort <file | wc # Two-process pipeline sort <f | uniq | wc # Three-process pipeline ls -l *.c # List all files ending in .c ls -l [a-c]* # List all files beginning with a, b, or c ls -l ? # List all one-character file names ls ? # List the file whose name is question mark ls '???' # List the file whose name is three question marks v=/usr/ast # Set shell variable v ls -l $v # Use shell variable v PS1='Hi! ' # Change the primary prompt to Hi! PS2='More: ' # Change the secondary prompt to More: ls -l $HOME # List the home directory echo $PATH # Echo the search path echo $? # Echo exit status of previous command in decimal echo $$ # Echo shell's pid in decimal echo $! # Echo PID of last background process echo $# # Echo number of parameters (shell script) echo $2 # Echo second parameter (shell script) echo "$2" # Echo second parameter without expanding spaces echo $* # Echo all parameters (shell script) echo $@ # Echo all parameters (shell script) echo "$@" # Echo all parameters without expanding spaces The shell uses the following variables for specific purposes: SHELL the path of the current shell HOME the default value for the cd(1) command PATH the directories to be searched to find commands IFS the internal field separators for command strings PS1 the primary shell prompt PS2 the secondary shell prompt There are various forms of substitution on the shell command line: `...` Command string between back-quotes is replaced by its output "..." Permits variable substitution between quotes '...' Inhibits variable substitution between quotes $VAR Replaced by contents of variable VAR ${VAR} Delimits variable VAR from any following string The expressions below depend on whether or not VAR has ever been set. If VAR has been set, they give: ${VAR-str} Replace expression by VAR, else by str ${VAR=str} Replace expression by VAR, else by str and set VAR to str ${VAR?str} Replace expression by VAR, else print str and exit shell ${VAR+str} Replace expression by str, else by null string If a colon is placed after VAR, the expressions depend on whether or not VAR is currently set and non-null. The shell has a number of built-in commands: : return true status . fn execute shell script fn on current path break [n] break from a for, until or while loop; exit n levels continue [n] continue a for, until or while loop; resume nth loop cd [dir] change current working directory; move to $HOME eval cmd rescan cmd, performing substitutions eval rescan the current command line exec cmd execute cmd without creating a new process exec <|> with no command name, modify shell I/O exit [n] exit a shell program, with exit value n export [var] export var to shell's children; list exported variables pwd print the name of the current working directory read var read a line from stdin and assign to var readonly [var] make var readonly; list readonly variables set -f set shell flag (+f unsets flag) set str set positional parameter to str set show the current shell variables shift reassign positional parameters (except ${0}) one left times print accumulated user and system times for processes trap arg sigs trap signals sigs and run arg on receipt trap list trapped signals umask [n] set the user file creation mask; show the current umask wait [n] wait for process pid n; wait for all processes The shell also contains a programming language, which has the following operators and flow control statements: # Comment The rest of the line is ignored = Assignment Set a shell variable && Logical AND Execute second command only if first succeeds || Logical OR Execute second command only if first fails (...) Group Execute enclosed commands before continuing for For loop (for ... in ... do ... done) case Case statement ((case ... ) ... ;; ... esac) esac Case statement end while While loop (while ... do ... done) do Do/For/While loop start (do ... until ...) done For/While loop end if Conditional statement (if ... else ... elif ... fi) in For loop selection then Conditional statement start else Conditional statement alternative elif Conditional statement end until Do loop end fi Conditional statement end SEE ALSO
echo(1), expr(1), pwd(1), true(1). SH(1)