Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can sed replace every 2 instances it finds in a file? Pattern. Post 302401543 by Franklin52 on Saturday 6th of March 2010 05:49:09 PM
Old 03-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXT3FSCK
Sweet, you sir, are a god...

Can you tell me what does this do?

"int(i)){i+=0.5}1"

What can I change if I want it to do every 3 instances or maybe start like at 4000 for the integer?
Explanation:
Code:
gsub("PORT",int(i))

substitute all instance of PORT in the current line with the integer of i
Code:
{i+=0.5}1

increase i with 0.5 and print the line

This approach suites for 2 instances:

Quote:
int(0) gives 0
int(0.5) gives 0
int(1) gives 1
int(1.5) gives 1
etc.
If you don't have to much substitutes, you can try some thing like for 3 instances if you want to start with 4000:

Code:
awk -v i="4000" '/PORT/ && gsub("PORT",int(i)){i+=0.33334}1' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Search Pattern and Replace with the Pattern

Hello All, I have a string "CP_STATUS OSSRC_R6_0_Shipment_R1H_CU AOM_901046 R1H_LLSV1_2008031", and I just want to extract LLSV1, but I dont get the expected result when using the sed command below. # echo "CP_STATUS OSSRC_R6_0_Shipment_R1H_CU AOM_901046 R1H_LLSV1_2008031" | awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: racbern
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern replace inside text file using sed

Hi, I have a situation where I want to replace some occurrences of ".jsp" into ".html" inside a text file. For Example: If a pattern found like <a href="http://www.mysite.com/mypage.jsp"> it should be retained. But if a pattern found like <a href="../mypage.jsp"> it should be changed to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meharo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace the last pattern using sed?

myfile: AAAaaa BBBbbb CCCccc AAAeee DDDddd how to replace the last AAA as EEEEE using sed? like this: AAAaaa BBBbbb CCCccc EEEEEeee DDDddd (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed command to remove multiple instances of repeating headers in one file?

Hi, I have catenated multiple output files (from a monte carlo run) into one big output file. Each individual file has it's own two line header. So when I catenate, there are multiple two line headers (of the same wording) within the big file. How do I use the sed command to search for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rebazon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a pattern in a file with a generated number using sed or awk

my file has thousands of line but let me show what i want to achieve... here is one line from that file cat fileName.txt (2,'','user3002,user3003','USER_DATA_SINGLE',1,0,0,'BACKUP',2,NULL,0,450,NULL,NULL,'','2011-05-10... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed finds nothing but it changes file's timestamp

I must go through some files to change a certain string within text files to another string. I use openSUSE and folders are mounted by cifs. Text to be replaced (only in .m extension) is U:\FOLDER and new string is N: That works fine with spaces in directory names etc., but this process ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pappa41
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace two character pattern with another pattern

Not able to paste my content. Please see the attachment :-( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern replace from a text file using sed

I have a sample text format as given below <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645333076543" From="460350337461111" Created="2011-03-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="123">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645317023456" From="1626711840902323"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed replace pattern

I have a file with multiple lines, all in the same format. For each line, I need to replace the sequence of digits after the last : with a new value, but keep the single quote at the end of the line. Example: Input: ( two lines of file) Name: 'text1:200/text2:1.2.3.4' Name2:... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginner101
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies
GNOME-PHONE-MANAGER(1)						   User Commands					    GNOME-PHONE-MANAGER(1)

NAME
gnome-phone-manager - Manage your mobile phone USAGE
gnome-phone-manager [--identify=PORT] [--config=PORT] [-d|--debug] [--display=DISPLAY] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the gnome-phone-manager command. gnome-phone-manager is a program created to allow you to control aspects of your mobile phone from your GNOME desktop. Current features include: - Runs in the background; indicates status on the panel notification area, - Display on-screen alert when text message (SMS) arrives, - Text message (SMS) sending facility with Evolution Addressbook integration, - Sync phone clock with the computer's. OPTIONS
Help Options: -?, --help Show help options --help-all Show all help options --help-gtk Show GTK+ Options --help-gst Show GStreamer Options Application Options: --identify=PORT Show model name of the phone connected to the given PORT which can be a Bluetooth address or a device file --config=PORT Write the configuration file for gnokii debugging of the phone connected to the given PORT which can be a Bluetooth address or a device file -d, --debug Enable debug --display=DISPLAY X display to use SEE ALSO
Homepage: http://live.gnome.org/PhoneManager AUTHOR
gnome-phone-manager was written by Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net> and Edd Dumbill <edd@usefullinc.com> This manual page was written by Francesco Namuri <francesco@namuri.it> for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Francesco Namuri June 2011 GNOME-PHONE-MANAGER(1)