Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting by Full directory path Post 302401266 by javidraaj on Friday 5th of March 2010 10:20:03 AM
Old 03-05-2010
Sorting by Full directory path

I have a text file with full list of files with their full path. I wanted to sort it by directory then files then subdirectory by alphabetically. When I used the sort command it doesn't give like what I want. Could somebody help me on this.
Here is the ex:
This is what I'm getting
Code:
parent/childDir
parent/childDir/A_subdir
parent/childDir/A_subdir/A_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/AF_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/AF2_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/E_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/L_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/P_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/T_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/a_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/a_v_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/al_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/au_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir/M_File
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir/a_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir/c_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir/v_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/c_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/d_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/f_File.txt

but I wanted like this

Code:
parent/childDir
parent/childDir/A_subdir
parent/childDir/A_subdir/A_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/ab_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/AF_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/AF2_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/al_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/au_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/a_v_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/c_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/d_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/E_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/f_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/L_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/P_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/T_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir/a_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir/c_File.txt
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir/M_File
parent/childDir/A_subdir/B_subdir/v_File.txt

Thanks

Last edited by radoulov; 03-05-2010 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting full path from relative path

given a relative path, how do i convert it into a full one. i.e. if i am in /home/polypus and i am given foo/bar then to get a full path i can just concatinate it with pwd, but what if i am given "../mama" how do i programmatically convert: /home/polypus and ../mama into ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: polypus
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Present Working Directory (not the full path)

Hi, Is there a command that tells you right away the current working directory? I know the command "pwd", but that one gives the full path. if pwd gives me: /a/b/c/d/ggg/HERE I want something that will give me: HERE Thanks, Gaurab (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurab
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get an ls -l to not show the full directory path?

Hey I'm new to the forums here, and I'm seeking help for this script that I'm writing. When I do ls -l of a directory it shows the full pathname for files in it. For example, if the directory is /internet/post/forum/ and the file is topic, it currently shows internet/post/forum/topic. What's the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unity04
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 doesn't have full directory path

I'm running AIX unix korn shell. If I echo $0, I only get the filename, it does not have the directory name also. So when I do: `dirname $0` it returns a . (meaning current directory). How get $0 to return the full path/filename? Do I need something in my .profile? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh?

What is the difference ../directory path and ./directory path in ksh? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TestKing
1 Replies
XReparentWindow()														 XReparentWindow()

Name
  XReparentWindow - insert a window between another window and its parent.

Synopsis
  XReparentWindow(display, win, parent, x, y)
	Display *display;
	Window win;
	Window parent;
	int x, y;

Arguments
  display   Specifies a connection to an X server; returned from XOpenDisplay().

win	    Specifies the ID of the window to be reparented.

parent    Specifies the window ID of the new parent window.

x	    Specify the coordinates of the window relative to the new parent.

y

Description
  XReparentWindow() modifies the window hierarchy by placing window win as a child of window parent.  This function is usually used by a win-
  dow manager to put a decoration window behind each application window.  In the case of the window manager, the new parent window must first
  be created as a child of the root window.

If win is mapped, an XUnmapWindow() request is performed on it automatically.  win is then removed from its current position in the hierar-
  chy, and is inserted as a child of the specified parent.  win is placed on top in the stacking order with respect to siblings.

A ReparentNotify event is then generated.  The override_redirect member of the structure returned by this event is set to  either  True  or
  False.  Window manager clients normally should ignore this event if this member is set to True.

Finally, if the window was originally mapped, an XMapWindow() request is performed automatically.

Descendants of win remain descendants of win; they are not reparented to the old parent of win.

Normal  exposure  processing on formerly obscured windows is performed.  The server might not generate exposure events for regions from the
  initial unmap that are immediately obscured by the final map.  The request fails if the new parent is not on the same  screen  as  the  old
  parent, or if the new parent is the window itself or an inferior of the window.

Errors
  BadMatch  parent not on same screen as old parent of win.
	    win has a ParentRelative background and parent is not the same depth as win.
	    parent is win or an inferior of win.

BadWindow parent is InputOnly and win is not.

See Also
  XCirculateSubwindows(),  XCirculateSubwindowsDown(),	XCirculateSubwindowsUp(),  XConfigureWindow(),	XLowerWindow(),  XMoveResizeWindow(),
  XMoveWindow(), XQueryTree(), XRaiseWindow(), XResizeWindow(), XRestackWindows().

Xlib - Window Manipulation													 XReparentWindow()