Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Stripping out more than a space from a line, but keep single space. Post 302401189 by Nila on Friday 5th of March 2010 05:42:17 AM
Old 03-05-2010
Try this,

Code:
sed  -r "s/[ ]+/ /g" file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing single space in argument

I want to write a script which will check the arguments and if there is a single space(if 2 more more space in a row , then do not touch), replace it with _ and then gather the argument so, program will be ran ./programname hi hello hi usa now hello hello so, inside of program,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping white space...

Hi All; Having a problem with a file.. the file contains the following data... (a snapshot) 1331F9E9DB7C2BB80EAEDE3A8F043B94,AL7 1DZ,M,50 186FDF93E1303DBA217279EC3671EA91,NG5 1JU,M,24 3783FFAF602015056A8CD21104B1AAAF,CH42 4NQ,M,17 It has 3 columns sepreated by a , the second column... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a single space in a line

hi i have a line like TL1330000000800 000DE9248737900 08000TS0231DE92 87379AMEX0000.T N 0080000000 00000. if there any single space between strings, i need to delete, if more than one keep the space as it is can some one help thanks Satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace space or spaces in a line of a file with a single :

I am searching while I await a response to this so if it has been asked already I apologize. I have a file with lines in it that look like: bob johnson email@email.org I need it to look like: bob:johnson:email@email.org I am trying to use sed like this: sed -e 's/ /:/g' file >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab char appearing as single space?

I'm trying to run a script which will ssh to several other servers (All Solaris 10) and execute a sar -f command to get each server's CPU usage for a given hour. It kinda works OK but I just can't figure out how to separate the returned fields with a Tab character. I've done lots of searching... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake657
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines up into single lines after each space in every line

It sounds a bit confusing but what I have is a text file like the example below (without the Line1, Line2, Line3 etc. of course) and I want to move every group of characters into a new line after each space. Example of text file; line1 .digg-widget-theme2 ul { background: rgb(0, 0, 0) none... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the truncating of multiple spaces into a single space while reading a line from a file?

consider the small piece of code while read line do echo $line done < example content of example file sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the output is like sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing double spaces with single space

I am looking for a regular expression that uses sed to replace multiple spaces with single spaces on every line where it is not at the start of the line and not immediately before double slashes ('//') or between quotes ("). In its simplest form, it would look like this: sed -e 's# # #g'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting email output in single line with out space in email

I have tried below email method and i am getting every thing in single line . i have put echo to provide space, but it is not helping my code ( echo "From: $FROM" echo "To: $MAILTO" echo "CC: $CC" echo "Subject: $SUBJECT" echo "MIME-Version: 1.0" echo 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
6 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)