Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory What do these SCSI errors mean? Post 302401073 by bumblebee on Thursday 4th of March 2010 11:58:56 PM
Old 03-05-2010
What do these SCSI errors mean?

Linux / Kernel experts,

Please help. I'm getting errors with various return codes, similar to:

Code:
kernel: SCSI error : <0 0 5 165> return code = 0x8000002

I would like to know how / where to lookup the definition of the numbers between the angle brackets, and the return code itself.

I checked scsi.h, sg.h, and scsi_ioctl.h, i've got a feeling that the answer is within these files but I'm not a programmer and that's just a hunch.

in sg.h:
Code:

/* Turn on error sense trace (1..8), dump this device to log/console (9)
   or dump all sg device states ( >9 ) to log/console.  */
#define SG_SET_DEBUG            0x227e  /* 0 -> turn off debug */
#define SG_NEXT_CMD_LEN         0x2283  /* Override SCSI command length with given
                                           number on the next write() on this file
                                           descriptor.  */

if what im thinking is right, the errors i'm seeing and these entries are related, but i dont know how to reconcile them, and where else to look.

please advice

thanks,
Bee

Last edited by Scott; 03-05-2010 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Scsi

How can you get a scsi card to initalize or decome available at boot up on AIX 4.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: truma1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Scsi

I would like to install a AIT drive to the scsi connector on our solaris box. I am very new to the unix world and would be greatful if someone could help or lead me in the right direction. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpyle
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Which SCSI Adapter?

Hi. I need to find a simple SCSI adapter card for a Sun Ultra 5 workstation. I don't need the type w/ ethernet attached (e.g. X1032) as I already have ethernet onboard & they are more spendy. I know Adaptec is out, but what unit would work? I am attaching an external SCSI tape unit to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Plain Person
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

5. AIX

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Help probe-scsi-all

I have run init 0 to bring it to OK prompt. I know that probe-scsi-all can hang the system. I want to know what is the difference between probe-scsi-all and probe-scsi. I was told that probe-scsi-all external and internal devices and probe-scsi shows only internal devices. what dose this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinkgoud
3 Replies

7. AIX

SCSI Disks

Hi Is it possible to install in p5 and pSeries SCSI Disks from SUN on DELL? Will they work? Regards, Pit (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

9. Solaris

SCSI boot errors

Help needed please! I see the following scsi errors during boot up. The server eventually boots up successfully. Please let me now how to fix these errors: Executing last command: boot Boot device: disk File and args: SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_117350-62 64-bit Copyright 1983-2003 Sun... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Finding scsi id

Hi, I would like to know scsi id of hard drive, which command is used to find scsi id of hard drive and disk related information. Regards Manoj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies
scsi-spin(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      scsi-spin(8)

NAME
scsi-spin - spin up and down a SCSI device SYNOPSIS
scsi-spin [-options...] [device] DESCRIPTION
scsi-spin let the user to manually spin up and down a SCSI device. This command is particularly useful if you've got noisy (or hot) drives in a machine that you rarely need to access. This is not the same as the kernel patch that's floating around that will automatically spin down the drive after some time. scsi-spin is completely manual, and spinning down a drive that's in use, especially the one containing the scsi-spin binary, is probably a really bad idea. To avoid running in trouble with such cases, scsi-spin verifies that the device to work on is not currently in use by scanning the mounted file system description file for a partition living on it and issue an error if this the case. OPTIONS
-u, --up spin up device. -d, --down spin down device. -e, --loej load or eject medium from drive (use along with -u or -d ) -w, --wait=[n] wait up to n seconds for the spin up/down command to complete. Default is to return immediately after the command was sent to the device. Either repeat -w n times or set n to define the time to wait before to report a timeout. -l, --lock prevent removal of medium from device. -L, --unlock allow removal of medium from device. -I, --oldioctl use legacy ioctl interface instead of SG_IO to dialog with device (could not be supported on all platforms). -e and -w are not allowed with this option. -v, --verbose=[n] verbose mode. Either repeat -v or set n accordingly to increase verbosity. 1 is verbose, 2 is debug (dump SCSI commands and Sense buffer). -f, --force force spinning up/down the device even if it is in use. -n, --noact do nothing but check if the device is in use. -p, --proc use /proc/mounts instead of /etc/mtab to determine if the device is in use or not. device the device is any name in the filesystem which points to a SCSI block device (sd, scd) or generic SCSI device (sg). See section below. SCSI devices naming convention Old kernel naming convention It is typically /dev/sd[a-z] , /dev/scd[0-9]* or /dev/sg[0-9]*. scsidev naming convention It is typically /dev/scsi/s[rdg]h[0-9]*-e????c?i?l? or /dev/scsi/<aliasname>. devfs naming convention It is typically /dev/scsi/host[0-9]/bus[0-9]/target[0-9]/lun[0-9]/disc (same for cd and generic devices) or short name /dev/sd/c[0-9]b[0-9]t[0-9]u[0-9] when devfsd "new compatibility entries" naming scheme is enabled. SEE ALSO
scsiinfo(8), sg_start(8), sd(4), proc(5), AUTHORS
Eric Delaunay <delaunay@debian.org>, 2001 Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>, 1998 03 September 2001 scsi-spin(8)