Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory What do these SCSI errors mean? Post 302401073 by bumblebee on Thursday 4th of March 2010 11:58:56 PM
Old 03-05-2010
What do these SCSI errors mean?

Linux / Kernel experts,

Please help. I'm getting errors with various return codes, similar to:

Code:
kernel: SCSI error : <0 0 5 165> return code = 0x8000002

I would like to know how / where to lookup the definition of the numbers between the angle brackets, and the return code itself.

I checked scsi.h, sg.h, and scsi_ioctl.h, i've got a feeling that the answer is within these files but I'm not a programmer and that's just a hunch.

in sg.h:
Code:

/* Turn on error sense trace (1..8), dump this device to log/console (9)
   or dump all sg device states ( >9 ) to log/console.  */
#define SG_SET_DEBUG            0x227e  /* 0 -> turn off debug */
#define SG_NEXT_CMD_LEN         0x2283  /* Override SCSI command length with given
                                           number on the next write() on this file
                                           descriptor.  */

if what im thinking is right, the errors i'm seeing and these entries are related, but i dont know how to reconcile them, and where else to look.

please advice

thanks,
Bee

Last edited by Scott; 03-05-2010 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Scsi

How can you get a scsi card to initalize or decome available at boot up on AIX 4.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: truma1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Scsi

I would like to install a AIT drive to the scsi connector on our solaris box. I am very new to the unix world and would be greatful if someone could help or lead me in the right direction. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpyle
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Which SCSI Adapter?

Hi. I need to find a simple SCSI adapter card for a Sun Ultra 5 workstation. I don't need the type w/ ethernet attached (e.g. X1032) as I already have ethernet onboard & they are more spendy. I know Adaptec is out, but what unit would work? I am attaching an external SCSI tape unit to this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Plain Person
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

5. AIX

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Help probe-scsi-all

I have run init 0 to bring it to OK prompt. I know that probe-scsi-all can hang the system. I want to know what is the difference between probe-scsi-all and probe-scsi. I was told that probe-scsi-all external and internal devices and probe-scsi shows only internal devices. what dose this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinkgoud
3 Replies

7. AIX

SCSI Disks

Hi Is it possible to install in p5 and pSeries SCSI Disks from SUN on DELL? Will they work? Regards, Pit (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

9. Solaris

SCSI boot errors

Help needed please! I see the following scsi errors during boot up. The server eventually boots up successfully. Please let me now how to fix these errors: Executing last command: boot Boot device: disk File and args: SunOS Release 5.8 Version Generic_117350-62 64-bit Copyright 1983-2003 Sun... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Finding scsi id

Hi, I would like to know scsi id of hard drive, which command is used to find scsi id of hard drive and disk related information. Regards Manoj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies
scsi_find_sense_descr(9F)				   Kernel Functions for Drivers 				 scsi_find_sense_descr(9F)

NAME
scsi_find_sense_descr - find descriptor in SCSI sense data SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/scsi/scsi.h> uint8_t *scsi_find_sense_descr(uint8_t *sense_buffer, int sense_buf_len, int req_descr_type); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
sense_buffer Pointer to a buffer containing SCSI descriptor sense data. The data is expected in wire format starting at the response code. sense_buf_len Integer that contains the length of sense buffer in bytes. req_descr_type Integer that contains the descriptor type value for the desired sense descriptor. DESCRIPTION
The scsi_find_sense_descr() function is used to obtain a pointer to a specific descriptor type, specified by req_descr_type, within a descriptor sense buffer. Before returning the pointer, scsi_find_sense_descr() verifies that the entire descriptor is present based on the length provided in sense_buf_len. Any value for req_descr_type can be requested. The following descriptor types are already defined: #define DESCR_INFORMATION 0x00 #define DESCR_COMMAND_SPECIFIC 0x01 #define DESCR_SENSE_KEY_SPECIFIC 0x02 #define DESCR_FRU 0x03 #define DESCR_STREAM_COMMANDS 0x04 #define DESCR_BLOCK_COMMANDS 0x05 #define DESCR_OSD_OID 0x06 #define DESCR_OSD_RESP_INTEGRITY 0x07 #define DESCR_OSD_ATTR_ID 0x08 Drivers should use scsi_validate_sense(9F) to ensure that the sense buffer contains valid descriptor sense data. RETURN VALUES
The scsi_find_sense_descr() function returns a pointer to a sense descriptor of the requested type if a descriptor of that type exists. If no such descriptor exists, scsi_find_sense_descr() returns NULL. CONTEXT
The scsi_find_sense_descr() function can be called from user or interrupt context. SEE ALSO
scsi_ext_sense_fields(9F), scsi_sense_asc(9F), scsi_sense_ascq(9F), scsi_sense_cmdspecific_uint64(9F), scsi_sense_info_uint64(9F), scsi_sense_key(9F), scsi_validate_sense(9F) SunOS 5.11 30 Jun 2006 scsi_find_sense_descr(9F)