Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Editing a cron file with crontab Post 302400724 by ungalnanban on Thursday 4th of March 2010 02:42:56 AM
Old 03-04-2010
MySQL

Code:
crontab -e

Crontab -e option is used to edit the crontab file. if the file already exist then it will open the existing file otherwise it will create a new file in your /tmp directory.
-l option is used for to list the crontab entries
-r option is used for to remove the crontab entries

crontab entry format:

m h dom mon dow command

* * * * * command to be executed
- - - - -
| | | | |
| | | | +----- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0)
| | | +------- month (1 - 12)
| | +--------- day of month (1 - 31)
| +----------- hour (0 - 23)
+------------- min (0 - 59)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing a CRON file

Hi, I am accessing CRON via telnet and want to set up some jobs. I have typed crontab -e to edit my cronfile but I can't seem to enter anything when I type on my keyboard. All I have is a flashing cursor at the top with ~ on the start of each line. How can I enter the jobs and save this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaffy1229
9 Replies

2. Solaris

editing cron

im running crontab -e as root, I keep getting, I set my editor to EDITOR=vi... # crontab -e 477 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing Crontab

Hi I am not able to edit crontab. Following is the comand that is being issued $crontab -e 2764 ............ This is what I am able to see But when I do $crontab -l List of all the crontab entry is displayed. Also I am seeing one entry in my /etc/cron.d prw------- 1 root ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re : Set multiple cron jobs in one crontab file

Hello All, Hopw all is fine. I am newbie to Unix. I am using Bourne Shell (sh). One of the question I have is that I am trying to read XML file and based on reading that XML file I want to run different java programs at different hours. Meaning 05 14 * * * java ./program1 10 14 * * * java... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samshaw
3 Replies

5. Solaris

editing crontab with vim and using .vimrc

Hi since we migrated from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10 I do miss a nice feature when editing crontab with vim editor: no more color highlighting after starting to edit. Well there is a hack, see below. I did define: export EDITOR='vim -c ":source /export/home/duc904/.vimrc"' Under Sol8 when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duc904
2 Replies

6. Fedora

editing crontab help

I'm using fedora 5 and sql 5.0. I'm trying to edit the crontab to perform automatic backups of my database. For some reason it isn't working. Here is what I have so far. 15 2 * * * /usr/bin/mysqldump -opt -all-databases u root -ppassword -h localhost... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: randerson21
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron on Solaris not editing.

I am working on Solaris machine. I have to add a cron for some operation, nut in SSH terminal crontab -l shows all related crons, but crontab -e instead of opening vi editor shows some number. Could any body tell what can be issue? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing crontab of non-root user from file

Hi All, Ref: "build crontab from a text file" in same forum. (I am not allowed to post URL's in the first post) We are reorganizing our UNIX Crontab file by first making changes in a word pad text file. The intent is to then copy it back to Crontab. Will this work? Copy and Paste does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivedhitha
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing crontab via ksh

Hi all, I am trying the following I am hoping that the crontab would be changed. but it prints the previous crontab and says Can anyone tell me the correct ksh command that should be used here? I don't want to edit the crontab with crontab -e, I need to edit it via ksh. Thank... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaba
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Crontab editing issue

Hi, OS - SunOS I gave crontab -e then it returns zero. $ crontab -e 0 ? ? Crontab status - $ ps -ef | grep cron root 2481 1 0 May 12 ? 0:18 /usr/sbin/cron Please help (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
9 Replies
bcrontab(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bcrontab(1)

NAME
bcrontab - Manage users crontab files SYNOPSIS
bcrontab [ -u user ] file bcrontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
bcrontab interfaces with the bcron-spool daemon to manage crontab files in the privileged spool directory. OPTIONS
-u user Tell bcron-spool that we are acting on behalf of the named user. bcron-spool will only accept the username if bcrontab is running as either root or the same user ID as the named user. -l List the cronab crontab to standard output. -r Remove the user's crontab. -e Edit the current crontab. ENVIRONMENT
VISUAL If this is set, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. EDITOR If $VISUAL is not set and this is, it is used as the editor to invoke to edit a crontab. If neither are set, /bin/vi is used. BCRON_SOCKET The path to the named socket used to communicate with bcron-spool. Defaults to /var/run/bcron-spool. LOGNAME USER These two variables are used, in order, to determine the user name invoking the program. One must be set if the -u option is not used. FILES
bcrontab tries to writes a temporary file into the current directory, and then into /tmp if that fails, in order to edit the current crontab. SEE ALSO
bcron-spool(8), crontab(5) AUTHOR
Bruce Guenter <bruceg@em.ca> bcrontab(1)