Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stdin redirection
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers stdin redirection Post 302400616 by binlib on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 05:19:22 PM
Old 03-03-2010
To get user input from keyboard, open /dev/tty, read from it using scanf or read.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Changing stdin from file redirection to console input

Hi I am doing file redirection at console for use by my binary. %console%> bin &lt inputfile After reading in the entire file, I want my program to continue taking input from the console. So essentially I want to redirect stdin back to console. But I cant figure out how to do it. I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nauman
4 Replies

2. Programming

stdin

hi, how does a program know whether some data are available from stdin? I would like to make a program which could read its data from stdin and _if_there_is_nothing_at_stdin_ from a file which name is given as an argument. If there is nothing in stdin and no filename is given as argument,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marquis
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

stdin device on HP

How can I access the standard-in device in HP-UX? I am trying to automate sftp on an HP-UX system. On solaris I can just do: sftp -b /dev/fd/0 remotehost <<EOF cd pub ascii get filename.txt bye EOF (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection stdin

hello all, I need to create a password change utility for a database. I need to gather at the command line the username, password and database sid. I have the program currently doing this. What I would like to do is not have the new password appear on the screen when I do my read command.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whited05
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDIN

can you redirect STDIN with command arguments? I have tried this approach: # ./script -option <argument1> <argument2> 0<$2 # $2: ambiguous redirect Is this possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

6. Programming

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write to stdin of another program (program A -> [stdin]program B)

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question: ---------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fork and stdin

When a process fork(), the child share the same file descriptors as his father. Thus, they share the same stdin. Quick and dirty exemple below (sorry for the ugly gets() call) : #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> int main() { char buf; if (fork()) { /*parent */ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: milouz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdin from fd 3-9?

Hi I'm trying to do something on the bash command line that I will later put into a bash shell script. I'm trying to take a program that reads stdin (using getline) and be able to keep it running in the background and fire "commands" to it. So what I thought I should do was to try taking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niceguyeddie
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirection stdin

Bonjour, Mon application en C sous linux tourne en redirigeant stdin vers un fichier. Exemple; $appli1 <file1. PB: Je voudrais temporairement redonner la main au user sur le clavier. Alors je pensais ajouter system("appli2"); dans appli1. Dans son main() , appli2() fait seulement un... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cypleen
1 Replies
NWAUTH(1)							      nwauth								 NWAUTH(1)

NAME
nwauth - Verify username/password SYNOPSIS
nwauth [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -D ] DESCRIPTION
nwauth does nothing but logging into a NetWare server. If the login was successful, an error code of 0 is returned. If the login was not successful, an error code of 1 is returned. It was designed for use by other programs who want authenticate users via a NetWare server. If there is no -P or -n option specified on command line, nwauth always expects a password on stdin. If the stdin is a tty, then the user is prompted for a password. Otherwise nwauth simply reads stdin for a password. nwauth looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server and a user name if they are not specified on command line. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of .nwclient MUST be 600, for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user name If the user name your NetWare administrator gave to you differs from your unix user-id, you should use -U to tell the server about your NetWare user name. -D nwauth says that your password is correct if you have existing connection to server with name user name. This is handy for some shell scripts, but it is unacceptable for authorization modules, such as PAM, PHP or Apache. It was pointed to me that this behavior was not well known, and there exist at least one PAM module which does not know that (this module is not part of ncpfs; you should use PAM mod- ule which comes with ncpfs instead anyway). SEE ALSO
nwclient(5) CREDITS
nwauth was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) nwauth 10/27/1996 NWAUTH(1)