Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Computer Science and Information Technology Post 302400542 by hpicracing on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 02:12:52 PM
Old 03-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
It's not a programming language. Did they at least teach you C first? C++ makes very little sense if you don't learn C, and there's certainly enough in it to be a complete course in its own right; but most courses never teach anything but "objects; objects magic; here how you put things in objects", and wonder why nobody gets it. Hmm... maybe try some introductory networking? It's getting harder and harder to seperate networking from computing these days, and a troubleshooter like you might find much of interest in it. I'm not certain about what an IT or CIS degree would mean, but a Computer Science degree tends to be very math-heavy and theoretical; some very useful things like general algorithm design, some things mathematicians lampshade on like LISP, some useful but very term-clouded things like relational databases, and many things like DAGs that researchers love and developers love to hate. Smilie
Yeah, I know HTML isn't a programming language... it's a markup language. I just meant I had fun learning it.
I actually didn't learn C first... I tried teaching myself C++.
I've thought about networking... I'd definitely be interested in looking into it...

---------- Post updated at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg
From someone who went thru BU's Computer Enginerring program, well some years back, what about that? You did say you like to take apart computers.
For me, the Engineering side was good to force me to understand the hardware of the situation. Computer Science incorporates a lot of theory, and the addition of the hard technical was a plus.
Lastly, perhaps you could get a part-time job or internship in an organization that would allow you to see and experience some of the actual work done.
I thought about Computer Engineering as well, but I always got the impression that was more about designing the hardware for computers?

Last edited by hpicracing; 03-03-2010 at 03:19 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer science.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

2. Web Development

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

How would you analyze the impact of C language on computer technology?

What is extent of influence of C language? How essential is it in today's computer and IT technology? Do you think that the inventor of C language deserves more recognition than he appreciates now? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Trivial Pursuit - New Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia for UNIX.com

I have added a new experimental "Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia - True or False" section in the discussions, currently under the tags box. In the future, I plan to Expand this feature to add more trivia categories from math, science and technology. Keep track of correct and... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
20 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

1000+ Computer Science Trivia Questions at UNIX.COM

The UNIX and Linux Forums now has over 1000 TRUE / FALSE computer science and computer related trivia question in our database. These questions are of relatively high quality (compared to similar sites on the web) and are fun (according to feedback by users). In the first week during the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Debugging Our Computer Science Trivia Feature

Only a few days after I coded this new feature from scratch, we are seeing over 3000 entries in the database from members (mostly guests) playing CS trivia. I have spend a lot of time coding this (from scratch) and testing the API. From the logs, it seems to have an API bug which appears... (31 Replies)
31 Replies
EvmConnControl(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 EvmConnControl(3)

NAME
EvmConnControl() - control information for an EVM connection SYNOPSIS
Library EVM Support Library Parameters connection The EVM connection to be controlled. See the EvmConnCreate(3) manpage. request The control action requested. See the section for the available requests. arg The value and use of arg depends on the request. See the section for the available meanings and the association to a request. DESCRIPTION
The routine sets or gets control information for a connection. The following list shows the available values for the request argument and the associated value of the arg argument. request Argument arg Argument Values Gets the size of the connection's receive buffer. The arg argument is a pointer to an field to receive the size value. Gets the size of the connection's send buffer. The arg argument is a pointer to an field to receive the size value. NOTE: and which set the receive and send buffer size, are not currently supported in HP-UX. Instead, use to get the socket descriptor of the connection, and use to change the buffer size of the socket. Enables checksum generation for posted events. This is the default state when a connection is established. The arg argument must be set to NULL. Disables checksum generation for posted events. This option is intended for use by high-performance applications that post events frequently using the local EVM dae- mon. The arg argument must be set to NULL. Queries the connection to find out if checksum generation is enabled. The arg argument is a pointer to an field to receive a boolean value. Modifies the set of environmental data items that are inserted into events posted to the supplied connection. The arg argument is a value containing a bitmap of item values to be inserted. Item enumeration values can be converted to bitmap form by using the macro. For example, Restores the default set of environmental data items inserted automatically into events posted to the supplied connection. The arg argument must be set to NULL. This request clears the effects of any prior requests. Controls the behavior of the calling process if an attempt to post an event would overflow the connection's send buffer. If this option is set to (the default state when the connection is established), the process blocks as necessary to synchronize message transfer to the EVM daemon. If it is set to returns if an event cannot be sent fully without blocking. In addition, the process must invoke a short time later, to avoid unsent messages accumulating in memory. Further calls to also flush the queue. Refer to the EvmConnFlush(3) manpage for more details. This option cannot be used for any connection type other than a posting connection with a response mode of This option is provided for critical high-performance processes which must post a large number of events in a very short time. This option is not suitable for general use. The arg argument is an value. A value of allows the process to block if necessary. A value of prevents blocking and enables message queu- ing. RETURN VALUE
The operation completed without error. One of the arguments to the function is invalid. A value in a structure member is invalid. An operation failed because an attempt to acquire heap memory failed. An unexpected error occurred while attempting to acquire or control a system resource. The current operation was interrupted by receipt of a signal. ERRORS
The value of is not set. SEE ALSO
Functions connect(2), select(2). Routines EvmConnCheck(3), EvmConnCreate(3), EvmConnSubscribe(3), EvmConnWait(3). Event Management EVM(5). Event Connection EvmConnection(5). EvmConnControl(3)