Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Computer Science and Information Technology Post 302400515 by Corona688 on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 11:13:16 AM
Old 03-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpicracing
The only language I've learned is HTML(I know this doesn't count for much)
It's not a programming language.
Quote:
I tried learning C++ and I wasn't crazy about it
Did they at least teach you C first? C++ makes very little sense if you don't learn C, and there's certainly enough in it to be a complete course in its own right; but most courses never teach anything but "objects; objects magic; here how you put things in objects", and wonder why nobody gets it.
Quote:
I'm beginning to think maybe I'm not the programming type. I love taking computers apart, repairing them, building them, and solving any problems with them.
Hmm... maybe try some introductory networking? It's getting harder and harder to seperate networking from computing these days, and a troubleshooter like you might find much of interest in it.
Quote:
I've been looking into undergraduate degrees, and I was originally planning on Computer Science. But now I'm thinking maybe I'd be better off in an Information Technology or Computer Information Systems degree.
I'm not certain about what an IT or CIS degree would mean, but a Computer Science degree tends to be very math-heavy and theoretical; some very useful things like general algorithm design, some things mathematicians lampshade on like LISP, some useful but very term-clouded things like relational databases, and many things like DAGs that researchers love and developers love to hate. Smilie

Last edited by Corona688; 03-03-2010 at 12:22 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer science.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

2. Web Development

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

How would you analyze the impact of C language on computer technology?

What is extent of influence of C language? How essential is it in today's computer and IT technology? Do you think that the inventor of C language deserves more recognition than he appreciates now? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Trivial Pursuit - New Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia for UNIX.com

I have added a new experimental "Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia - True or False" section in the discussions, currently under the tags box. In the future, I plan to Expand this feature to add more trivia categories from math, science and technology. Keep track of correct and... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
20 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

1000+ Computer Science Trivia Questions at UNIX.COM

The UNIX and Linux Forums now has over 1000 TRUE / FALSE computer science and computer related trivia question in our database. These questions are of relatively high quality (compared to similar sites on the web) and are fun (according to feedback by users). In the first week during the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Debugging Our Computer Science Trivia Feature

Only a few days after I coded this new feature from scratch, we are seeing over 3000 entries in the database from members (mostly guests) playing CS trivia. I have spend a lot of time coding this (from scratch) and testing the API. From the logs, it seems to have an API bug which appears... (31 Replies)
31 Replies
PPI::Token::Quote(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      PPI::Token::Quote(3)

NAME
PPI::Token::Quote - String quote abstract base class INHERITANCE
PPI::Token::Quote isa PPI::Token isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
The "PPI::Token::Quote" class is never instantiated, and simply provides a common abstract base class for the four quote classes. In PPI, a "quote" is limited to only the quote-like things that themselves directly represent a string. (although this includes double quotes with interpolated elements inside them). The subclasses of "PPI::Token::Quote" are: '' - PPI::Token::Quote::Single "q{}" - PPI::Token::Quote::Literal "" - PPI::Token::Quote::Double "qq{}" - PPI::Token::Quote::Interpolate The names are hopefully obvious enough not to have to explain what each class is here. See their respective pages for more details. Please note that although the here-doc does represent a literal string, it is such a nasty piece of work that in PPI it is given the honor of its own token class (PPI::Token::HereDoc). METHODS
string The "string" method is provided by all four ::Quote classes. It won't get you the actual literal Perl value, but it will strip off the wrapping of the quotes. # The following all return foo from the ->string method 'foo' "foo" q{foo} qq <foo> literal The "literal" method is provided by ::Quote:Literal and ::Quote::Single. This returns the value of the string as Perl sees it: without the quote marks and with "\" and "'" resolved to "" and "'". The "literal" method is not implemented by ::Quote::Double or ::Quote::Interpolate yet. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.18.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Token::Quote(3)