Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Memory issue on solaris10 box Post 302400409 by jlliagre on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 06:26:57 AM
Old 03-03-2010
Unused memory is wasted memory so there is no problem with the values you show.
No hidden process is using more memory. The kernel certainly does but will release most of it should demand occur.
What displays this command:
Code:
echo ::memstat | mdb -k

?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Memory usage in the box

Hello: Environment is: Oracle 817 on IBM RS/6000 AIX 433 I have 4GB RAM on the box and Page/Swap is about the same. Presently I am using close to 1GB of RAM towards 5 instances of ORACLE production environments. How can I know, how much of memory/RAM is used for : Oracle Processes , I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

portability issue linux(2.6) solaris10

the following simple scripts work fine on linux but fail on solaris: #!/bin/bash eval /usr/bin/time -f \'bt=\"%U + %S\"\' ./JUNK >> ./LOG 2>&1 cp ./LOG ./LOG_joe LC_joe=`cat ./LOG | wc -l` LC_joe=`echo $LC_joe-1|bc` tail -1 ./LOG > ./tmp head -$LC_joe ./LOG_joe > ./LOG rm ./LOG_joe ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joepareti
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

help me decipher how much memory on my box

hi, if I do top, I get Memory: 19277012K (5868296K) real, 33860312K (11294208K) virtual, 795392K free If I do swapinfo -tm I get: % swapinfo -tm Mb Mb Mb PCT TYPE AVAIL USED FREE USED dev 16384 0 16383 0% dev ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
3 Replies

4. Linux

my box can't see full memory

Hi I'be recently installed Virtouzzo on Centos 5 on 16GB box , but the system could only see 4 GB of RAM, I installed the package kernel-PAE, but the virtuozzo kernel still can't see the full memory. even the kernel system can see 16GB of RAM is there any idea bout that ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raied
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Memory of box

I have certain questions. 1) How can i see the memory of the unix box. 2) How can i see the size of the database on the box 3)can anyone suggest an article or tutorial that explains the concept of file systems and mount point in UNIX. 4)How can i see the dblink on the server I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
5 Replies

6. Solaris

/tmp issue on solaris10 box

I have a T5240 server with following swap configuration $ grep tmp /etc/vfstab swap - /tmp tmpfs - yes - $ swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/swap 4294967295,4294967295 16 213909472 213909472 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Swap issue on a Solaris10 box

One of our system is running 3 oracle db instances. And as per prstat o/p the system is approximately using 78G of swap memory # prstat -J -n 2,15 PROJID NPROC SWAP RSS MEMORY TIME CPU PROJECT 4038 557 31G 29G 22% 113:23:43 10% proj1 4036 466 20G 19G... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Solaris

VNC issue on solaris10

M running solaris 10 u8 my vncserver is running on :0 .. and when i try to connect it through tight vncview i can see just see the screen .. with no terminal .. what could be the issue for it ? and what i need to check for it ? (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Veritas I/O fencing issue on Solaris10

I have 2 clusters running on solaris10 servers. VCS is working fine but when i configure I/O fencing with co-ordinated disks only one node have the keys on the disks at time where as both the nodes shuld have keys there what could be the reason for this ? like in the following o/p only Node2's... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

10. AIX

Memory consumption issue in AIX box

Hi, monitor memory usage on AIX machine on any day of the week from 3:00 PM ET to 5:00 PM ET - Povide min and max memory consumption. Determine if all of the available memory is visible to the operating system. If it is not, determine the amount of memory which may be allocated to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rookie_newbie
3 Replies
core_addshmem_read(5)						File Formats Manual					     core_addshmem_read(5)

NAME
core_addshmem_read - determines the inclusion of readable shared memory in a process core dump VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values or DESCRIPTION
The tunable was added in response to a problem where a customer was limited in debugging a user-level process crash because shared memory segments were not written as part of the core file. Upon core dump, the sections of user memory labeled as shared read-only are written (along with the normal data sections) if this tunable is set to and left out if it is set to Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? When you wish to include read-only shared memory segments in user core files due to debugging needs by developers or maintainers on the system. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? User process core files would increase in most cases (most applications use at least some shared memory). This could be a problem on sys- tems where disk space is at a premium. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? When there is no need for debugging core files where shared memory corruption or data values are in question. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Core files will tend to be smaller. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? Certainly think about which does the same thing for read/write shared memory segments. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters core_addshmem_read(5)